Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

Do we need another Kyle Pitts thread at this time? What is going to happen if he is there at 6, and we pick someone else? Give the FO a chance to make the pick before you bash them, which doesn't seem the case if we don't pick Pitts. Keep an open mind and go with the FLO.

Go with the Flo!

This should be the Dolphins new motto - LOL

Here, here. And I like the kid myself but I’m not about to get emotionally invested.

This front office has a plan, and a backup plan. And a backup, backup plan.

That’s what I like to see, planning. Leads to success.

I love it, a backup-backup plan.

Too bad Adam Gase didn't have a few of those.

Now I've done it, I foresee a "Lemming" festival coming up. Watch out for what they feed you. I bet it will seem to have a lemon flavor - LOL

a
McShay's draft has Pitts going 4 and Chase 5, we pick Smith. Not an awful outcome but that 1st rounder in 2023 that SF gave us better be a great player if Pitts and/or Chase end up better pros than Smith, if McShay is right of course.

The one thing I still don't understand, whether you like the deal or not is why make it so early ? Even waiting a week the landscape has changed significantly. I am not convinced 2 likely low firsts and 1 comp 3rd rounder is great compensation for dropping from the position that started the draft in many respects. Especially when it cost us the bulk of that comp to move back up again to 6. We really should have waited this out a little.
Smacks of premature ejaculation or more specifically premature tradeulation.

That said -- I'd be 100% OK with the premature aspect if the trade down would have produced

some IMMEDIATE value in terms of R2 and R3 etc. But all signs point towards deferred value in '23!

Too far down the line for me!

Last edited:
You really think Alabama weekly played teams as talented as them ...with equal offensive lines...equal amount of quality weapons? Defenses?...This is a team game, when your team is overall better and overmatched most of your opponents...your job is much easier individually.....and yes, The NFL is a whole other level!

To the original point of the post, if Miami misses out on Pitts, there's a real possibility we'll look back and say the 1st and 3rd weren't worth it. As great as Smith, Chase, and Waddle are, Pitts is as rare as it gets, as special as it gets. His combination of skill and physical talent - frame, length, athleticism, natural balance and coordination, etc. - doesn't make sense. You absolutely don't see it. You have to look at some steep comps at other positions.

To the original point of the post, if Miami misses out on Pitts, there's a real possibility we'll look back and say the 1st and 3rd weren't worth it. As great as Smith, Chase, and Waddle are, Pitts is as rare as it gets, as special as it gets. His combination of skill and physical talent - frame, length, athleticism, natural balance and coordination, etc. - doesn't make sense. You absolutely don't see it. You have to look at some steep comps at other positions.
you just stated my point perfectly...well done!

It's not who you have but what you do with them.

Didn't the Dolphins do that once a long time ago?

Winning cures everything!

Lets see where we are after the 2023 draft if you are going to determine if we had success or failure with this years draft.
I’m strictly referring to possibly losing a once in a generation talent (Pitts)by trading down....

Taking Pitts, Chase, Smith, Waddle at #3, great as it may be, would leave a taste in your mouth that was not great, at 6, you were able to get extra draft capital, while still getting one of those players.

The important part of the draft is not who comes out with most possible HOF, but who comes out with the most quality players that will help.the organization reach, and win championships...Pitts, Chase, Smith, and Waddle all are significant talents to do that.

I also would love Pitts, but if it's one of the other three...No problem.
I get your position...I just happen to value Pitts on a whole other level than the three receivers...who are talented, but not the unicorn Kyle Pitts is...that was the point!

Using past history of different front offices to evaluate or predict our current front office's moves and/or abilities is like using Rick Norton (the QB) as an example as to why the Dolphins shouldn't have drafted Dan Marino
No...it’s simply to debate and discuss losing out on great players by trading down...nothing else.

I would assume the 49ers were calling Miami and Atlanta, knowing Miami wasn't going to draft a QB. They weren't completely without leverage.

It will be impossible to judge any of this for a long time to come. Who would have figured Houston would go 4-12 with that roster they had and end up with the third worst record in the league? If their season had gone the way a lot of prognosticators thought it would we would still be debating Tunsil's worth on these boards. San Fran could trade Jimmy, start a rookie bust at QB, and blow the season.

I think trading down for future assets is generally a smart was to do business in the NFL, in particular when you're gifted something like this Houston pick. Both in that there are more opportunities to build the foundation of this team for years to come and in that it provided Grier with additional assets to use to acquire a higher pick or talented vet that finds himself on the market.

In a sea of darkness, a voice of reason!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

No No No GIF

That GIF may explain the loose connections in your reasoning!

Trade up and get Jordan... bzzzz!
Trade down and miss Moss.... bzzz!

Hmm... sounds like the principles of small sample sizes.

There is no question in my mind that some of our posters intellect makes for the same analysis - LOL

Back
Top Bottom