Hayden Fox Assessment: Preseason Week 1

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hayden Fox, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:21 AM.

1. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I watched the game one more time and came to this assessment. Discuss. Happy football season, folks.

Positives

• I like the tempo the starting offense played with. The goal has always been to quicken the pace. Perhaps now with an experienced QB in this system and more selfless and intelligent players, more uptempo could work.
    • I like how the starting offense overcame a holding penalty to continue the drive.
    • Going for it on 4th and 1. I do not see this as a “it is just preseason” move. I see this as an aggressive tone that Adam Gase wants to set.
    • Great seeing Ryan Tannehill back on the field. It was a strong outing. He is right on pace to where he needs to be. Tannehill looked in command of the huddle and what he was seeing.
    • David Fales. I have been not very comfortable with him as a backup. However, I am warming to him. Fales anticipates well. He gives his receivers a chance and receivers better be where they should be on a given play. Fales plays with confidence.
    • Kalen Ballage showed some promise. Great athlete. I am not worried about the fumble so as long as he learns from it. He runs a bit upright, but he is a plus athlete. His blitz pickups were on target. Good start.
    • Senorise Perry can play. He should stick as a 4th RB. He is one cut, hard runner. He excels on special teams. Lots to like and someone they should keep in house.
    • Albert Wilson is going to a confident explosive weapon. He got nice separation and was available for his QB.
    • Jakeem Grant got open deep...again. He almost had two explosive plays. One he drew a PI (plus I think he caught it). Another he got behind Carlton Davis, but the throw as a bit behind him.
    • Isaiah Ford has a “slinkiness” to him. He seems to have a feel and body type to excel as a receiver in the NFL. The hope here is he remains healthy and pushes for more snaps.
    • Not sure Francis Owusu fits in, but all the guy does is make explosive plays during the back half of preseason games.
    • The pass protection by the 1’s was outstanding. This is going to be a good team in pass pro. Tampa has some decent pass rush candidates. They did not get near Tannehill.
    • Bryce Petty. Perhaps Petty should be in competition with Fales. Petty got scraps in this game, but deserves more looks. The two point conversion to Ford was a thing of beauty.
    • Minkah Fitzpatrick looks like he belonged. He was active with no false steps. He is part of the solution going forward.
    • Jerome Baker simply jumped off the page. He was fast, active and his instincts were outstanding. Baker needs more run with the starters starting this week.
    • Chase Allen FF.
    • Vincent Taylor has been balling lately. He was a freight train at the end of the half. More snaps are needed for Taylor.
    • DE Jonathan Woodard played well
    • Cleaner game in terms of pre-snap penalties. Plus, the team did well not getting crown of the helmet penalties that everyone was worried about.
    • Tom Garfinkel is one of the best things happening for this franchise. He is a visionary and creative man while at the same time being able to articulate what he is thinking. Thumbs up for Garfinkel.
    • New threads looked nice. Got to be honest. I like the shirts and bolder orange.

Negatives

• Early in the game the team lost with hidden yards and field position. Between the missed field goal and turnover, the Bucs were put on short fields and were great position to score.
    • Ja’Wuan James holding penalty. Could have killed a promising opening drive.
    • Lack of Red Zone production.
    • Delay of game immediately after getting a turnover.
    • Overall pass defense with the first team defense. All easy windows. Way too soft underneath. No pass rush on QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. Terrible start.
    • Run defense. DT’s got washed out and there were too many wide open lanes.
    • Davon Godchaux looked heavy and uninspired.
    • Stephone Anthony took numerous poor angles to the ball and was awful versus the pass.
    • Jason Sanders miss from 52. He has to make these kicks in the preseason with ease if he is to be the kicker on September 9th. He missed and flipped field position after a nice albeit stalled opening drive. I was also not enamored with his leg on kickoffs. I expected those to be drilled into the stands for a touchback.
    • Greg Joseph made his FG, but the botched kickoff out of bounds was an awful look.
    • Mo Smith head hunting foul. So obvious.
    • Trae Elston celebrating a stick after the runner went about ten yards and got a first down. Time and score, Trae.
    • CB Cornell Armstrong was used up.
    • The mix of 3rd and 4th team defense that blew the lead after the Petty TD and 2 point make. Very lame response in what should have been a shutdown moment.
    • I have the quickest finger to hit the mute button when Omar Kelly comes on the pregame. Terrible each year. Yet he comes back for that failing newspaper.

Overall

• So much for the camp updates that the defense was ahead of the offense.
    • The team has to cut out drive killing penalties. The team overcame James’ penalty. However, the team has to stay ahead of the sticks. It was one of the biggest issues last year. It is too hard on any offense. This offense can be pretty good with elite discipline.
    • Folks, what does the team have with DeVante Parker? He has had a sleepy spring and summer. He was a non-factor Thursday. I have said since predraft that he cannot separate. If he is not going to “rooftop” corners consistently on 50-50 balls, it means he is holding the offense back.
    • That said, I like the receiving group. Kenny Stills, Danny Amendola, Wilson, Grant and Ford all can get open and separate (see that word again). They are fast albeit small. They are intelligent and tough kids with no diva amongst them. Add in Mike Gesicki for some height and I think this can be a matchup nightmare each week for opposing teams.
    • I am starting to question Matt Burke’s ability to coordinate a defense. It is not based on one game in the preseason. It is based that his defense gets attacked the same way each week.
    • Time to think about Bobby McCain on the boundary in base sets. Torry McTyer and Cordrea Tankersley are not nearly consistent enough in their assignments. The team needs a player that will execute their assignments.
    • The DT’s need more watching. There needs to be more run stop ability demonstrated. Snaps need to be awarded to those players that represent that. DT could be the void that guard was years ago for this team. That would be ashame.
    • I want more Jerome Baker.
    • The team has to implement a 3 safety look. It will be maddening if McDonald or Fitzpatrick are on the sideline consistently. Time for the team to figure a way to get its best athletes on the field for defense.
    • The team needs to find a kicker on the free agent or waiver wire Labor Day weekend. Sanders nor Joseph has the goods.
    • Dare I say, I liked the new ref and his crew the other night. Time for some new blood. Shawn Smith’s crew was excellent.

Henrik, Stoobz, MiamiMuss and 66 others like this.
  2. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Agree with almost all of that. The kickers will see what happens and im not a fan of Bobby M as a boundary corner.

Oh, and you need to post more often my friend.

Stoobz, NY8123, EricCartman and 15 others like this.
  3. danstilldaman

danstilldaman Well-Known Member

Good assessment I've missed them, always appreciated.

Stoobz likes this.
  4. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think you forgot one negative? We found a way to lose the game in the last minute even thought just about every player at that moment will not make the team....lol

5. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Great summary Hayden, I always enjoy reading your post.

6. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

An unexpected gift, thanks Hayden! I just don't want to give up on Parker. If the proverbial light comes on, he could be fantastic.

Ray R and In Gase We Trust like this.
  7. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

good post Hayden. Completely agree on Garfinkle. Tom is a huge asset for us!

Ray R likes this.
  8. 1972fins

1972fins Well-Known Member

Owuzu impressed he's fast and competes hope he sticks

Ray R likes this.
  9. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I see it. You see it. Everyone sees it but Matt Burke.

10. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Not sold with McCain on the boundary. I'll wait a week or two. Other than that, not much disagreement.

11. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Nice write up. The DT situation is going to be a theme throughout the season IMO. They’ll have some good games as a group here and there but I’m having a tough time seeing any consistency from week to week. I agree w the Burke comment - he’s still in over his head.

elite14eva, fishfanmiami and nick1 like this.
  12. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

If Reshad dresses and they don’t...he should be gone.

elite14eva likes this.
  13. fansinceGWilson

In regular season.

josephreese likes this.
  14. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

They aren't paying TJ to ride the pine and they didn't draft Fitzpatrick to ride the pine either. I'm sure we'll see it

Digital likes this.
  15. Markcalius

Markcalius Druggist Finheaven VIP

What the hell was wrong with Matt Darr? Haack is still making bizarre punts.

The kicking game is going to ruin this season.

Travis34 and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  16. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Wait I thought that was Tannehill or the DL or Parker or Burke?

Ray R and Danny like this.
  17. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

Thanks Hayden, great read.

Ray R likes this.
  18. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't think the team wants touchbacks and wants to see kickoffs with a high hang time but are returnable. Especially in preseason. They want to work on kick coverage and a touchback puts nothing on tape. Plus a touchback puts it on the 25.

As for the missed 53 yard field goal, Not surprised a rookie kicker would miss his first long attempt early in his first game. Maybe a little pumped up. He did have plenty of distance on the kick though.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM
    DolfanDonny, Ray R and 1 dol fan like this.
  19. fansinceGWilson

Apologies for going OT< but anyone have a list of guys on ST in 1Q?

20. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Based off what I've heard and read in training camp and now preseason, our opening day kicker doesn't appear to be on the roster. If you keep Sanders or Joseph, I think the team loses a few games based on special teams.

Agree on your DT assessment and if the pass rush isn't as good as advertised, this defense can be scary bad. I do like what the secondary offers. Howard, Jones and Fitzpatrick could be the strength of the defense. Like your thoughts on three safeties.

IMO the offense is going to have to be really good this year and the pass rush has to be above league average. Otherwise, some of these experts might be right about Miami picking top five.

21. TraderJoe

TraderJoe FinHeaven VIP

Thanks Hayden, good to have you back!

I came away from the game much happier than most as I thought there was a lot of good stuff out there.

Minkah was terrific, Gesicki blocked better than expected, Baker played great and Taylor and Phillips looked tough together.

I thought the C Mathews and DT Spence were absolutely awful and if we had anyone behind them I would cut them both immediately. And to think Tim Settle, who is doing great in Washington, was there for us in the back half of the draft.

CB play was rough but who knows what coverages they were running. With that though what was with all the communication breakdowns when Tank was on the field?

I would love to see the 3 Safety look and hope they are saving that for the regular season.

Travis34, 1 dol fan and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  22. SaskFinFan

SaskFinFan Rookie Finheaven VIP

Always appreciate your write ups. Keep them coming all season.

Travis34 likes this.
  23. SF Dolphin Fan

I wanted to add one more thing. Maybe it's time to trade Parker. Not sure what Miami could get for him, but other receivers seem to want it more. The Dolphins could keep Ford and perhaps one other receiver.

Hard for me to say that because I loved Parker coming out, but I agree with your assessment on his lack of separation. He is a nice 50/50 guy, but not reliable enough on those plays either. With Gesicki on board, Miami has someone to win in those situations.

Just a thought. Again, not sure what Miami could get. Is there a team loaded with DT's that might need a receiver? If we're talking draft picks probably 4th or later. I mean if the Dolphins get a 4th for Landry and Ajayi maybe that's optimistic.

kcbrown, John Biello and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  24. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Nice write up. Agree with pretty much everything posted

25. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Now it sure looks like Parkey would have been worth extending a competitive offer eh?

26. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

If DeVante Parker were on the opposing team, would I fear him, or be concerned? No.

The DVP experiment is over - the kid just doesn't have it.

He has Dion Jordan-like desire.

After rooting and hoping for his turn-around, I am now ready for his departure.

maralieus likes this.
  27. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Thanks Hayden, and welcome back!!! I just finished watching the taped version of the game on NFLN. I was expecting an albatross of crap, but saw a team who played hard. Unfortunately the same problem that hurt Miami over the last few seasons reared itself once again. That being, no one can cover the middle of the field. I agree with the assessment of Burke and his questionable game calling. Both Fitzpatrick and Baker bring instincts to their respective positions. Baker can cover the flats very well. While Fitzpatrick is instinctually around the ball. I saw marked improvement from Vincent Taylor, Chase Allen, Issac Asiata and Eric Smith. All played excellent games. Owusu just continues to defy the odds and may be a prime PS player. Ford really has shown he belongs and believe he's won the final WR spot on the 53. I'm still looking for a Charles Harris sighting, because, he seemed invisible once again. I'm not sure he has the mindset for the NFL, especially after reading he was in a dark place last season. He practices and trains like a warrior, but once the lights come on, he's nowhere to be found.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM
    GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  28. D0lphan72

D0lphan72 War... War never changes Finheaven VIP Donator

I literally didn’t read a word you wrote at this point. I just went down to like your post and thank you for doing this again because I’m that happy you’re back with these! Now to read.

Spiff, Travis34 and fishfanmiami like this.
  29. SF Dolphin Fan

Yeah, I'm feeling kind of the same way. He's not a bust, in that he does makes plays and contributes. But he obviously hasn't taken his game to the level that many of us hoped he would. I just wonder how the coaching staff views him. We keep hearing good things in training camp and see nice things here and there.

Ford looks like a player to me. Pretty smooth and nice speed. If Miami cuts him, he makes another 53-man roster IMO. There are a couple of other intriguing wide receivers on the roster as well.

Ray R, rickd13 and kcbrown like this.
  30. bradmcnutt13

bradmcnutt13 A True Fan

Always love your work.

31. royalshank

The Rams! Let’s trade Parker for Suh!

multistage likes this.
  32. royalshank

i just don’t think he has the physical tools to warrant a no 1 pick and the expectations that come with it. At best I see a Jared Odrick type.

33. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

It's always a great rush when one of our legendary posters comes out of retirement and makes a dramatic comeback. Welcome back, Hayden Fox, and it's great to see you posting again. You were missed. I wish all of the Finheaven Hall Of Fame posters would come back for this season, it's going to be a great one.

Just look at the draft and FA period we just had. Most of the guys Hayden was high on are the newly acquired talent from this off season. I don't remember a better off season since Shula was the Coach. Minkah, Gisecki, Baker, Ballage and Smythe is a home run any way you look at it. All these guys are paying dividends. In FA we got Sitton, Kilgore, Wilson and Amendola, all hits. We just have to put it together and be ready for opening day. We are a totally different team from the Cutler led failures from last season. We have way more team speed, more team players and leaders on both sides of the ball.

Hayden-any thoughts on McMillan? I think he and Baker are going to get that Ohio St. mojo working!

34. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Great to have you back Hayden! Excellent points and well put.

Let's be careful about ascribing too much meaning to these preseason games. Veterans are just going through the motions, don't want to give anything away and trying hard not to get hurt. Rookies flash precisely because they are trying hard … just like the bubble-players. Players returning from injury are understandably hesitant.

One slight disagreement. I'm not looking to put the best athletes on the field, although that is good too. I'm looking to put the best players on the field. Or more accurately, to field the most effective team. Athletics certainly are a part of it, and with Gesicki, Baker, Fitzpatrick, and Ballage, as well as Taylor, Allen, McTyer, Tankersley, Parker, and Brendel we have some truly amazing athletes. But, IMHO, they have to earn it, by mastering the playbook, putting in the extra time honing their technique and watching film. Just working the hours mandated by the CBA is a recipe for unrealized potential. Sure, they'll get a paycheck … but probably not a Super Bowl ring.

Ray R, GUH-sick-EE, BSQ and 2 others like this.
  35. sunworshipper

sunworshipper FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Sorry, what was FF mean?

I've been thinking along similar lines about Bobby. But to go even further, if X, Reshad, Minkah, Bobby, and TJ are our best five backs, think about leaving Bobby at boundary CB even in nickel and move Minkah to the slot. Maybe only move Bobby back to the slot in dime. Unfortunately, that means Minkah only plays deep safety in base and dime.

Digital likes this.
  36. fansinceGWilson

The longest I'd keep Parker is end of contract unless he wants to play for rookie minimum. And I was a fan of that pick. That said, Ford has shown more value to the team.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  37. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Another thing I did notice was how well the d-line of Malveaux, Woodard, Phillips and Taylor played, throughout most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That quite honestly, was a bit of a shock.

Ray R likes this.
  38. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Forced fumble

Digital likes this.
  39. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

I hear you and I dont fully disagree, but if you do this then all of the problems we've had at safety for Years still continues. I dont think our problem in the secondary was the boundaries so much as it was defending anything over the middle of the field and that doesnt change much with this personell group if Minkah is playing anywhere other than FS.

Digital and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  40. ladeback

ladeback Seasoned Veteran Finheaven VIP

Oh hell yes. Hayden is back.