Hayden Fox Assessment: Preseason Week 1 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox Assessment: Preseason Week 1

I don't think the team wants touchbacks and wants to see kickoffs with a high hang time but are returnable. Especially in preseason. They want to work on kick coverage and a touchback puts nothing on tape. Plus a touchback puts it on the 25.

As for the missed 53 yard field goal, Not surprised a rookie kicker would miss his first long attempt early in his first game. Maybe a little pumped up. He did have plenty of distance on the kick though.

Last edited:
I don't think the team wants kickoffs with anhigh hang time but are returnable. Especially in preseason. They want to work on kick coverage and a touchback puts nothing on tape. Plus a touchback puts it on the 25.

As for the missed 53 yard field goal, Not surprised a rookie kicker would miss his first long attempt early in his first game. Maybe a little pumped up. He did have plenty of distance on the kick though.

Apologies for going OT< but anyone have a list of guys on ST in 1Q?

Based off what I've heard and read in training camp and now preseason, our opening day kicker doesn't appear to be on the roster. If you keep Sanders or Joseph, I think the team loses a few games based on special teams.

Agree on your DT assessment and if the pass rush isn't as good as advertised, this defense can be scary bad. I do like what the secondary offers. Howard, Jones and Fitzpatrick could be the strength of the defense. Like your thoughts on three safeties.

IMO the offense is going to have to be really good this year and the pass rush has to be above league average. Otherwise, some of these experts might be right about Miami picking top five.

Thanks Hayden, good to have you back!

I came away from the game much happier than most as I thought there was a lot of good stuff out there.

Minkah was terrific, Gesicki blocked better than expected, Baker played great and Taylor and Phillips looked tough together.

I thought the C Mathews and DT Spence were absolutely awful and if we had anyone behind them I would cut them both immediately. And to think Tim Settle, who is doing great in Washington, was there for us in the back half of the draft.

CB play was rough but who knows what coverages they were running. With that though what was with all the communication breakdowns when Tank was on the field?

I would love to see the 3 Safety look and hope they are saving that for the regular season.

I wanted to add one more thing. Maybe it's time to trade Parker. Not sure what Miami could get for him, but other receivers seem to want it more. The Dolphins could keep Ford and perhaps one other receiver.

Hard for me to say that because I loved Parker coming out, but I agree with your assessment on his lack of separation. He is a nice 50/50 guy, but not reliable enough on those plays either. With Gesicki on board, Miami has someone to win in those situations.

Just a thought. Again, not sure what Miami could get. Is there a team loaded with DT's that might need a receiver? If we're talking draft picks probably 4th or later. I mean if the Dolphins get a 4th for Landry and Ajayi maybe that's optimistic.

Now it sure looks like Parkey would have been worth extending a competitive offer eh?

If DeVante Parker were on the opposing team, would I fear him, or be concerned? No.

The DVP experiment is over - the kid just doesn't have it.

He has Dion Jordan-like desire.

After rooting and hoping for his turn-around, I am now ready for his departure.

Thanks Hayden, and welcome back!!! I just finished watching the taped version of the game on NFLN. I was expecting an albatross of crap, but saw a team who played hard. Unfortunately the same problem that hurt Miami over the last few seasons reared itself once again. That being, no one can cover the middle of the field. I agree with the assessment of Burke and his questionable game calling. Both Fitzpatrick and Baker bring instincts to their respective positions. Baker can cover the flats very well. While Fitzpatrick is instinctually around the ball. I saw marked improvement from Vincent Taylor, Chase Allen, Issac Asiata and Eric Smith. All played excellent games. Owusu just continues to defy the odds and may be a prime PS player. Ford really has shown he belongs and believe he's won the final WR spot on the 53. I'm still looking for a Charles Harris sighting, because, he seemed invisible once again. I'm not sure he has the mindset for the NFL, especially after reading he was in a dark place last season. He practices and trains like a warrior, but once the lights come on, he's nowhere to be found.

Last edited:
I literally didn’t read a word you wrote at this point. I just went down to like your post and thank you for doing this again because I’m that happy you’re back with these! Now to read.

If DeVante Parker were on the opposing team, would I fear him, or be concerned? No.

The DVP experiment is over - the kid just doesn't have it.

He has Dion Jordan-like desire.

After rooting and hoping for his turn-around, I am now ready for his departure.
Yeah, I'm feeling kind of the same way. He's not a bust, in that he does makes plays and contributes. But he obviously hasn't taken his game to the level that many of us hoped he would. I just wonder how the coaching staff views him. We keep hearing good things in training camp and see nice things here and there.

Ford looks like a player to me. Pretty smooth and nice speed. If Miami cuts him, he makes another 53-man roster IMO. There are a couple of other intriguing wide receivers on the roster as well.

Back
Top Bottom