Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives

• Plus 2 Turnover Differential.

• Got a TD on an opening drive.

• 4.5 yards per rush.

• Ryan Tannehill’s first game back was solid 17-25 for 204 yards, 8.2 per attempt and 2 TD’s for a 119.4 QBR. He showed toughness fighting through the injury and gave his offense a lift.

• RT hardcounts.

• Kenyan Drake 96 total yards and 2 TD’s. He showed an explosive burst through the game.

• Frank Gore 67 yards on 14 carries (4.8 per carry).

• Leonte Carroo’s 74 yard TD reception in which he ripped the ball away from a Colt’s defender and went in for the touchdown.

• Pass protection. Gave up one sack and generally there was adequate time in the pocket.

• The defense held an elite 3rd down team to 4-12 on 3rd down.

• The defense got a 3 and out to start the second half.

• Xavien Howard was off the charts. Two interceptions and and 3 PD’s. He was responsible for keeping his team in the game.

• Cam Wake sack in the Red Zone.

• T.J. McDonald had 11 TOT, 9 Solo. He was active around LOS. Also, recovered a fumble.

• Raekwon McMillan forced a fumble and McDonald recovered it.

• Jerome Baker running down T.Y. Hilton.

• Kiko Alonso blocked punt.

• Matt Haack’s punting. Consistently, he flipped field position.

• Gunners on the punt team were always down field in position making tackles. Excellent punting game and coverage units. Walt Aikens and Cornell Armstrong were tremendous as gunners.

Negatives

• Blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead.

• Did not score enough points off of 3 Colts turnovers and a blocked punt.

• 10 Penalties for 75 yards. Pre snap penalties hurt the offense especially in the Red Zone.
  • Only 51 offensive plays.

• 4-11 was the offense on 3rd down.

• Only 14 1st downs.

• Critical fumble by Mike Gesicki. True, the Colts did not score off of the turnover, but Miami had a golden chance to score before the half with two timeouts and at midfield. Bad turnover.

• Ted Larsen. Terrible football player.

• Red Zone defense was terrible again. The Colts scored TD’s 3-4 in the Red Zone.

• Rush Defense: 4.5 yards per rush. Gave up way too many explosive plays.

• The Colts tying drive that went 89 yards on 7 plays in only 3:18. Kiko Alonso missed a crucial tackle on the drive.

• Akeem Spence whiffing on Andrew Luck on the key 3rd down play in the 4th quarter as the Colts went into to score the game winning points.

• Minkah Fitzpatrick penalty that wiped out a sack by Robert Quinn.

• The offense scored on the opening drive and the defense quickly gave points right back.

• Alonso personal foul penalty on Luck on 3rd down that extended the drive.

• The Colts tied the game on TD. There was a personal foul call that moved the Colts up to kick off. They pooch the ball short on the kickoff. Making matters worse, Stephone Anthony is called for a penalty backing up the offense further.

• Late game play calling. It was awful. Up 7, Miami goes and passes...all incomplete with poor execution and failed 3rd down run. It ran barely any time off the clock. Backed up with the game tied, Adam Gase went into a shell. They end up punting back to Luck and they never saw the ball again.

Overall Assessment

• The late game play calling killed me. I was enraged. Let’s talk about the last two drives. The second to last drive, I get attacking. The ball needed to be moved and not just eat clock, but score. This is the modern NFL. They needed to push it still. However, they were running the ball well and a run call on one of those plays was needed. Also, the offense has to execute and complete these passes to maintain possession. The last drive of the game is what kills me. Attack. Throw it beyond the chains. Take a shot downfield. Maybe draw a PI. When was the last PI Miami got on offense? Gase needed to trust his QB. If he fails, maybe you have an answer on him. Gase says he worried about a turnover. What is the difference of a turnover in the red area versus Luck getting the ball at midfield with two timeouts? The defense did take the ball away and play well on the 3rd down, but they gave up explosive play after explosive play in the game. Gase needed to attack on the last drive and he did not. It was so, so, so disappointing.

• While the end of the game situation is taking the air out of debate, what is not being talked about enough is the lack of scoring points off of turnovers. Miami got 3 points off of 3 turnovers and a blocked punt. That is the difference in the game not the end of game fiasco. If Miami gets field goals off of those turnovers they win. If they score TD’s, they win easy.

• Pathetic how Bruce Arians is campaigning for the Cleveland job publically.

• A focus this offseason needs to be to sign Xavien Howard long term. He has earned it and it is vital to keep your own.

• Jake Brendel is a find. He has done well at LG and made a seamless transition to C when Travis Swanson went down. Brendel has to be in the mix next year to start at C or be a key swing Guard/Center, active on gameday.

• Ted Larsen is so bad. He is used and abused. Why is Wesley Johnson not active. Larsen was a penalty waiting to happen and got blown away late on stunts. He has to take a seat next week.

• The ability for TE’s to score on Miami is absurd. Coming up with better schemes next year and players to defend TE’s has to be on the menu. I am not expecting anything to change this year.

• This is a big five game stretch for Gase. Losing in the fashion he did versus Cincinnati and Indianapolis is brutal. He has three home games out of the five. Gase has his hands full this week with Buffalo. The Pats and Vikes are tough thereafter. Things can go off the rails quick. This week is such a must win for him. The team needs to get back to 6-6 and reset the outlook. I am a Gase backer. I think he is a good coach and has a good staff, outside of the Matt Burke. Burke and his scheme need to be replaced. That can be done this January. I think they have drafted good players over the past three years. Free agency this past year was solid. Not all is broken and I am not ready to flush things down. Not even close. However, Gase has to find some success to finish December. They need some wins. If things fall apart to finish, I am not sure what I will think come the new year.

Agree on the last drive, so frustrating. In the Cincy game, if we would have ran the ball every time in the 2nd half we would have drained the clock and won. The real frustration is everyone can see we have talent on both sides of the ball but something always finds a way to do us in. I like Gase quite a bit but he needs to wake up and let the players play. Too safe. too many times

Agree on the last drive, so frustrating. In the Cincy game, if we would have ran the ball every time in the 2nd half we would have drained the clock and won. The real frustration is everyone can see we have talent on both sides of the ball but something always finds a way to do us in. I like Gase quite a bit but he needs to wake up and let the players play. Too safe. too many times

This team lacks talent where it matters..

OL, DL, LB, QB..

Until those 4 spots get a serious upgrade this team will always be .500..

kikos missed tacke at the end was brutal,all he had to do was tap him out of bounds but instead he did the kiko dance. he cant tackle

Thanks Hayden, as usual. I agree on both points about Brendel and Larsen. I think Larsen is done in Miami, after the season. His salary far exceeds his productivity.

Jags just canned their OC why can't we. I agree on all points. I would live to lay some of these games on Tannys shoulders and see if he can prove me wrong, that he does have moxie. Nothing, nothing will change until our coaching staff is out of there

Those hard counts seem to have been lost in the shuffle. That was easily one of the top positives in the game with the free yardage. That and the turnovers were my favorites things about that game yesterday.

Those hard counts in a field not your own is what makes it even more awesome.

I loved how they kept saying that missed field goal looked like their golf swing. It was clearly blocked. Another thing is Kiko is the worst LB at taking angles I have ever seen. Makes me wonder if we had another stronger lb what this group would look like. I seen Burke was run blitzing more than ever but film study should show tendency of which direction to blitz from. He always except one time chose the wrong side.

Those hard counts seem to have been lost in the shuffle. That was easily one of the top positives in the game with the free yardage. That and the turnovers were my favorites things about that game yesterday.

Those hard counts in a field not your own is what makes it even more awesome.

Yea the hard counts were good and something a good qb would do. Tannehill seems to go through the motions. Watching Mayfield today, he hid the ball behind his leg on a playaction, Tannehill doesn’t do any of the stuff that makes a qb good.

Jags just canned their OC why can't we. I agree on all points. I would live to lay some of these games on Tannys shoulders and see if he can prove me wrong, that he does have moxie. Nothing, nothing will change until our coaching staff is out of there
Gase should not be the HC and OC......especially being a first time HC, he is way over head, he just can’t do it.

Hum I hear all the hate on the DC but the offense has to score and 4 turn over with just 3 points screams huge problem on the offensive side of the ball. I think our defense has played better than the offense this year but when we the defense has a bad day it just shows how bad our offense is playing. Our offense cannot control the clock or score. HUGE ISSUES. Look Gase plays what I call safe football offense meant to protect the quarterback from making mistake which inflates their QB rating but results in few points. Look RT has a phenomenal QB rating in a game with 4 turnovers and a decent rushing game and we loose. How the heck does that happen. Sure we could improve the defense its just not as much of the issue as most believe. Seen this song and dance before under Dan Marinio who could score the defenses always were rated badly. Once we went to a rushing attack instead of arial our defensive ratings improved greatly. Enough of that rant as I have mentioned this enough this year. Last thing imo if Laundry was still on the roster imo we win this game. Did Stiils catch a pass, Parker how about Danny? These guys were all the rage on this forum when Laundry was moved and they catch like 2 balls between em. Wow.

Back
Top Bottom