Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 10 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 10

Its late. I cannot debate the QB this late.
The Buccaneers scored 22 points on 21 pass attempts, which is about the number of points per pass the Denver Broncos (the league leaders in that area) score this year.

The Dolphins on the other hand scored 19 points on 42 pass attempts, which is about what the Cleveland Browns have done this year.

Moreover, the Buccaneers prior to tonight scored only 0.42 points per pass attempt, and we managed to increase that to more than a point per attempt tonight, while scoring fewer points per attempt ourselves than we had typically.

In terms of scoring efficiency, we turned the Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the Denver Broncos, while we became the Cleveland Browns.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

I wonder how many passing games have won a game with 2 rushing yards to help it out.
There is no relationship between rushing performance and passing efficiency. A team can still pass the ball efficiently while running the ball poorly.

Now, if you'd like to make the argument that the team should've rushed the ball more, I'm with you.

Technically they may be still in it but in reality they are done due to the coaching staff and type of team they have been.

They may come out and beat San Diego in a close game. Then they'll come out flat the following week and end up losing to Carolina by 10. Then they will go up to New York and will get run over by the Jets while making Geno Smith look like Drew Brees. Then they will play a sloppy game against the Steelers winning by a point in the last second. Then they will come home and start out either slow or fast against the patsies either way they will find a way to lose in the end. Philbin's team plays with no fire and only plays well in stretches giving false hope to us fans.

Nice write up. The things that bothered me most are:
-Tannehill needs to use his feet more. We miss to many conversions that he could of easily make by running. I know the tendency is to not make the QB run to avoid injury but there is a point where it simply has to be used.
-Our no huddle looked so good at the end of the 2nd why don't they use it full time?
-I'm so disappointed Wallace isn't working out. They need to go back to the drawing board and simply use him over the top and give Mathews starter snaps.
-People will complain about Tannehill but he showed to anyone who cares to see he can play at a high level when given time, even with no running game.
-Our RB's sucked. Miller is a joke. I can't believe we got rid of Bush for him to step into the role.
-This is the same old Dolphins defense, couldn't step it up when it matters. Our offense has youth to use as an excuse, our defense has zero excuses.

Just one more thing - I think Kevin Coyle and Miami need to part ways in the worst way. These are the # of points this team has given up since week 2:

8 straight games allowing 20+ points. MASSIVE disappointment there.

The Buccaneers scored 22 points on 21 pass attempts, which is about the number of points per pass the Denver Broncos (the league leaders in that area) score this year.

The Dolphins on the other hand scored 19 points on 42 pass attempts, which is about what the Cleveland Browns have done this year.

Moreover, the Buccaneers prior to tonight scored only 0.42 points per pass attempt, and we managed to increase that to more than a point per attempt tonight, while scoring fewer points per attempt ourselves than we had typically.

In terms of scoring efficiency, we turned the Tampa Bay Buccaneers into the Denver Broncos, while we became the Cleveland Browns.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

There is no relationship between rushing performance and passing efficiency. A team can still pass the ball efficiently while running the ball poorly.

Now, if you'd like to make the argument that the team should've rushed the ball more, I'm with you.

We had no running game to compliment it. Our running game was short passes. Blame the nonexistent running game.

Its late. I cannot debate the QB this late.

To not put anything on Tannyhill is absurd. He is not even average at this point, and shows no fire at all. Is he ever angry? Does he ever get in someone's face and get them stoked? He inspires no one.

Except you related passing efficiency to winning. Pretty sure 2 yards rushing also played a role in the loss.

I was at the game...QB was the problem on exactly one play. Tannehill failed to get the ball deep to Wallace on one of the rare chances versus Revis. Other than that, I saw a very limited number of plays where he didn't make the right read or the right throw, etc. Almost every pass was short tonight, and that is by design with this horrid offensive line. That's just the state of things, he has to get the ball out in a short time frame or get killed. The real problem here is that we are limiting our chances and having to play on our heels on offense almost constantly because our defense, regardless of opponent, can't get off the field and flat out fails to make plays that could and should be drive enders. The bulk falls our LB corps, who despite once again having significant money put into them, are missing tackles on seemingly half their opportunities, and simply can't cover anyone when asked to either. Except for blitzing, they are useless, and even then they are dumb enough to extend drives with stupid penalties.

Except you related passing efficiency to winning. Pretty sure 2 yards rushing also played a role in the loss.
Sure, but it didn't necessarily play a role in the passing inefficiency.

In other words, the passing could've still been efficient despite the rushing performance.

Sure, but it didn't necessarily play a role in the passing inefficiency.

In other words, the passing could've still been efficient despite the rushing performance.

Actually, yes, having a running game that is completely irrelevant does have an effect on the passing game. Their corners were able to stay back on both Wallace and Hartline, taking away the opportunity for deep passes, with their safeties covering the deep middle. They were able to stop the run without keeping any secondary members near the LOS, which plays a huge effect on the passing game.

Actually, yes, having a running game that is completely irrelevant does have an effect on the passing game. Their corners were able to stay back on both Wallace and Hartline, taking away the opportunity for deep passes, with their safeties covering the deep middle. They were able to stop the run without keeping any secondary members near the LOS, which plays a huge effect on the passing game.
That effect doesn't exist league-wide. The correlations between running game variables and passing efficiency don't exceed the low 30s. In other words, a team can still pass efficiently when its running game is performing poorly.

That effect doesn't exist league-wide. The correlations between running game variables and passing efficiency don't exceed the low 30s. In other words, a team can still pass efficiently when its running game is performing poorly.

Yes, it is possible, but it's much harder, and I am almost positive that the guys who do buck the trend are also guys named Brady, Brees, Rodgers, or even a guy like Phillip Rivers. Basically, guys who are either HOF caliber, have had years in the same offense with most of the same players, and established years ago that they are their teams best weapon and their organizations built accordingly. Other guys may buck the trend every once in a while, but it wouldn't be trend if they did all the time. It's ridiculous to expect a second year QB to do that all the time, especially considering the terrible line which was so even before two of its starters were off the team, and yet Tannehill did that not once, not twice, but three times to start the year. Him failing to best the trend right now is simply regression to the mean that even guys like Luck and Russell Wilson would suffer.

Back
Top Bottom