Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 12 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Assessment: Week 12

Cam Newton has such a limited arsenal as a passer. That's the frustrating aspect of this loss. He can't alter pace and loft to fit every situation. On the 4th and 10 play it's going to be a mindless 100 mph fastball. You can virtually guarantee that. I mentioned it last night. So when we got to that pivotal play I just wanted tight coverage to force Newton to make his typical instant line drive decision, a ball that can just as easily ricochet off the wall ringing the stadium as manage a first down. So what does Brent Grimes do? He plays 6 yards off Steve Smith and then backs off another 6 yards as the play unfolds, allowing a perfect window for the mindless fastball. I still have a difficult time believing it. It's the most inept 4th down coverage I've seen on a pivotal play since Terrell Buckley allowed Horace Copeland to wander downfield and turn around for a simple first down on 4th and 7 in Wide Right I, the Canes' famous 17-16 win at Tallahassee in 1991.

Otherwise, Dion Jordan can't be on the field on every down approaching the goal line. I wanted to scream when he was inserted for every play once Carolina reached our 30 yard line on the first possession of the third quarter, when we led 16-6. Olivier Vernon was really battling out there all day, to the point he was praised by the color commentator. Vernon isn't exactly Reggie White against the run but at this point he gives us a significantly greater physical presence than Dion Jordan. Once Jordan was out there on every play on that possession, Carolina pushed us around and walked into the end zone within a few plays. Only one was aimed directly at Jordan, a sweep that gained about 12 yards. But overall we're simply too fragile with him in there. It attains an Oregon or Baylor type feel, like we need a 60 point offense to offset what we are surrendering with twig personnel. Jordan is fine for 3rd down plays but this is the second time we blew a lead partially because we insisted on using him near the goal line on every play. I don't know if Vernon got winded on that drive, or what happened. Carolina was running some hurry up. All of a sudden Jordan was out there on every play and I would have been shocked if we weren't exploited. And once it's 16-13 instead of 16-6 or 16-9, the math and likelihood of victory shifts dramatically.

Rishard Matthews got rocked by an illegal hit and couldn't hold on to the football. He's a backup. Is that his fault for lacking killer instinct? Is it his fault the coach decided to kick a chip shot FG after the play?

I don't know, I don't buy this 'killer instinct' thing. I think we played a better football team today and our c oaches called the game not to lose it.

I agree with you most of the time, but not on your take with the killer instinct. If it was just today, that'd be one thing. But our team finding ways to lose close games over the years has become almost an art form. We build the big lead, we lose at the end or because of an atrocious third quarter. We fall behind early, we come back and take the lead and then the defense loses it at the end. We have extra time off to prepare, we come out flat. We dominate the game, we don't do enough with it and leave the window open for the other team to steal 10 points at the end of each half and win it.

The injuries, playing young players ... that happens all around the NFL. It happens in college and high school football. Good, tough-minded teams manage to get through that a lot of the time. Other teams don't have what it takes to get it done.

This team doesn't usually respond well to on-field adversity. It also hasn't responded well to on-field prosperity (3-0 start to the season, 17-3 halftime leads, etc.). And it's happened a lot more than once. As someone said in another topic, losing is a culture, it's a habit, and this organization has it.

Another horrible second half, basically did nothing, played completely uninspired. Best play of the half was the hail mary to Wallace.
Kudos to defense playing amped up all game, being on the sideline with such lethargic offense, and special teams.

If Joe was a difference maker intellectually on Sunday, the Fins would win a few of these games and control the Wild Card.

Talent is not the issue holding this team back.

Yet another game where they just had to find a way to lose in the most heartbreaking fashion possible. This team is Taking years off of my life.

to me the play of the game hands down was the picked up flag on Keuchly. Even if the Fish still only get a field goal there they would have taken more time off the clock giving Carolina virtually no time to go down the field and kick the field goal. That totally changed the games momentum and you could see it coming out of the 1/2 unfortunately!

Have to give credit to Ellerbee and Wheeler today, they were a more physical presence at times. Thought that Carolina's game plan in the first half was weak. How do you not run the ball down the throats of a defense that routinely allows for a 100 yard rusher? They adjusted in the second half, and won another close game. The offensive line is just horrible in all phases of the game this year. The second stringers can't run block worth beans, the "first string" couldn't pass block. The offense can't run screens to save their lives, it really limits the play calling and is reflected in our poor offensive performances. I mean we haven't sniffed a 30 point output in week 12, that is sad.

Have to give credit to Ellerbee and Wheeler today, they were a more physical presence at times. Thought that Carolina's game plan in the first half was weak. How do you not run the ball down the throats of a defense that routinely allows for a 100 yard rusher? They adjusted in the second half, and won another close game. The offensive line is just horrible in all phases of the game this year. The second stringers can't run block worth beans, the "first string" couldn't pass block. The offense can't run screens to save their lives, it really limits the play calling and is reflected in our poor offensive performances. I mean we haven't sniffed a 30 point output in week 12, that is sad.

While the Fins have stunk at stopping the run, Matthews from SD was the only 100 yard rusher they have given up this year.

Excellent post. The bottom line is this: to be a playoff team in the NFL you HAVE to win these kind of games at home. No excuses. Bills, Ravens, and now the Panthers. The lack of a running game absolutely kills any chance that we have to pull out these close ones. Build a lead and watch it all slip away at the end because we throw the ball 99.8% of the time or so it seems. When a team is as predictable as this one is throwing the ball, even the crappy defenses around the league will figure out a way to make plays.

I just watched Kevin Coyle's pressure. I totally forgot this play...the Panthers backed up deep. Newton threw to his right. Phillip Wheeler makes an athletic play and bats the ball down. However, behind him is Nolan Carroll that would have picked the ball off and probably brought it in for six. So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom