“he Can Take His’n And Beat Your’n, Or Take Your’n And Beat His’n” | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

“he Can Take His’n And Beat Your’n, Or Take Your’n And Beat His’n”

I'd rather not make the playoffs, and get a GREAT QB.

Just for clarity, "I'd rather not make the playoffs, and TRY TO get a GREAT QB." I admit to an obsession . . . getting any great player isn't easy

Just for clarity, "I'd rather not make the playoffs, and TRY TO get a GREAT QB." I admit to an obsession . . . getting any great player isn't easy
k.c made playoff and still got mohomes and so did Houston they got Watson. why tank for qb next yr when nobody know who go be number 1 qb coming out next yr. it still sad that we let 2 great qb pass us in 2017 draft class and 2018 as well. someone in front office had say, we need qb for future??? wonder if that was Grier being over shadow by tbum and Adam. that the only way I see Grier getting GM job.

Last edited:
You are correct, but that's not really the context in which I made the statement.

It was just about ."rather ".

I know that everyone is done with Tannehill and ready to move on with the new coaching staff as well as a new QB, but I would really love to see Ryan come back for one final year and see us sweep the jests!

And I apologize in advance for anyone clicking on the thread and thinking it was about the great Don Shula, but this thought definitely made me think of him.
This is as bad as the clickbait misdirects the media posts … ugh. But since you hijacked this quote to talk about Tannehill, I'll talk about him too … I wish him well, he seems like a nice, smart, and hard working guy. Now, on to the meat of this post.

Don Shula was the greatest coach of all time. He won the game with a top shelf QB who didn't want to take direction, Johnny Unitas, then retooled to build a dominant running game with Larry Csonka (as well as Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick) and a dominant defense. He took a hotshot QB and developed him into a Hall of Fame QB, Bob Griese, then took a strong defensive team with a running QB (David Woodley) and transformed it into an offensive juggernaut with another hotshot QB he developed into a Hall of Fame QB, Dan Marino. THAT'S why Bum Phillips said this about DON SHULA:

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n"

The citation is #32 in the Sun Sentinel's Top 50 Miami Dolphins Quotes of All Time:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-miami-dolphins-top-quotes-s060409-story.html

So if you're going to use the quote … use it right please. Otherwise, you're no better than the clickbait media.

Post in some other of the 50 million Tannehill threads if you want to, but if you're going to use this quote … use it correctly, and discuss Don Shula.

This is as bad as the clickbait misdirects the media posts … ugh. But since you hijacked this quote to talk about Tannehill, I'll talk about him too … I wish him well, he seems like a nice, smart, and hard working guy. Now, on to the meat of this post.

Don Shula was the greatest coach of all time. He won the game with a top shelf QB who didn't want to take direction, Johnny Unitas, then retooled to build a dominant running game with Larry Csonka (as well as Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick) and a dominant defense. He took a hotshot QB and developed him into a Hall of Fame QB, Bob Griese, then took a strong defensive team with a running QB (David Woodley) and transformed it into an offensive juggernaut with another hotshot QB he developed into a Hall of Fame QB, Dan Marino. THAT'S why Bum Phillips said this about DON SHULA:

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n"

The citation is #32 in the Sun Sentinel's Top 50 Miami Dolphins Quotes of All Time:
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-miami-dolphins-top-quotes-s060409-story.html

So if you're going to use the quote … use it right please. Otherwise, you're no better than the clickbait media.

Post in some other of the 50 million Tannehill threads if you want to, but if you're going to use this quote … use it correctly, and discuss Don Shula.
My apologies on changing the and to an or. I messed it up completely.

Lol. Cam Wake. Only 17 teams had an interest in him after winning back to back most outstanding defensive player in the cfl. He really found a diamond in the rough.

Reshad jones is overrated. Olivier Vernon has been bad with the Giants. Lamar Miller is a rb-easily replaceable. And ask buffalo fans how they feel about Charles Clay.

Ireland was absolute garbage. Trading ginn for a 5th. Moving up for Dion Jordan. Trading two 2nds for Brandon Marshall. Drafting a 23 year old college qb who has been underwhelming his entire life.

Signing Karlos dansby then cutting him to sign ellerbe.

Pat white etc
I love it. “Diamond in the rough”. You aren’t exaggerating either. The entire NFL world wanted Wake after posting ridiculous sack numbers 2 years in a row. Ireland’s best pick was Jones. Don’t agree he’s overrated but agree w everything else in here. Dansby and the other guy from SD cut for Ellerbe and Wheeler to get “younger” - same year as picks and money. What a horrid “is your mom a ...” GM. He was awful.

So I’ve seen conflicting reports about this quote. The one I believe is that the words were spoken by Bum Phillips and were concerning Don Shula coaching prowess. Can someone else confirm this?

True....after the early 70’s run Miami’s personnel department was less than great...Miami was generally considered to not be as talented as the other contenders... yet Shula still kept winning and reaching some Superbowls. Bum Phillips Oilers were considered to more talented and obviously Bum was praising the Don!

Any apology should be for clickbaiting the Don Shula topic.
Which is precisely what I did when I said, "And I apologize in advance for anyone clicking on the thread and thinking it was about the great Don Shula, but this thought definitely made me think of him."

Which is precisely what I did when I said, "And I apologize in advance for anyone clicking on the thread and thinking it was about the great Don Shula, but this thought definitely made me think of him."

Don't sweat it man, even if this was a Don Shula thread it would have turned into a Tannehill thread anyway.

I'll repeat what I stated in the general forum:

IMO I don't think Ryan ever settled down since having a year off in 2017. He scraped and fought to get back on track but you cant shake off a year of rust in 2017 with 4 more weeks of it in 2018 especially while we juggled our Oline from injuries.

This is exactly why Ryan needs to jump on a new team and regroup. He'd be a good tutor for young player and would be a plug N play if that QB went down once he learned their system.

Not sure if everyone remembers the meeting RT had with Gase around week 15 but his weekly presser he had an odd look on his face like he was told something behind closed doors,he looked like he seen a ghost. (He knew Gase was probably gone which meant he was gone.)

Ryan's mindset should have been once 2018 ended he should get 8 weeks rest and get in an aggressive off season work program, pay someone whatever and start thinking of his next adventure because it may be his last for a NFL QB.

Wish him luck but there is no way he can overcome the changes the Dolphins will face in 2019 and his body wouldn't survive it.

Back
Top Bottom