Head Coach Job Security (Read this please!) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Head Coach Job Security (Read this please!)

spydertl79

Active Roster
Reaction score
Whenever a football team does not meet or exceed fans expectations the blame is placed somewhere. Sometimes the coordinators, sometimes the defense, sometimes the offensive line, sometimes the quarterback but usually the blame falls on the shoulders of the Head Coach. Why is the blame often placed here? Because being an NFL Head Coach is a lot like being the President of the U.S. While only about 50% of the responsibility for running a team falls on their shoulders, they are a figurehead for the organization. The head coach is held responsible for all of the players and coaches that are brought in. Well, I began to wonder if firing head coaches was actually effective of if, just maybe, owners fire head coaches to please the fanbase while often hurting the organization. I did some research and this is what I found.

First I researched the actual role of a Head Coach in an NFL organization. I discovered that while at one time head coaches were in charge of everything, nowadays the coach serves more of a consulting role as well as the aforementioned responsibility of a figurehead. Often times, basically every time a coaching change is made with the exception of a retirement, a head coach is brought in to be the savior of a franchise. These coaches are often gone within five years because fans get anxious and instead of blaming the players, blame the coach.

Everyone of the analyst said it would take Saban three years to assemble a chamionship quality team. It wasn't his fault that everyone started thinking it'd only take 2 years.

I dont feel nick is under fire until next year if we do poorly.

You can't fairly judge Saban unless you give him 10 years maybe longer:sidelol:

Aside from statistics one of the best benchmarks of good coaching is motivation... After a 1 and 5 start Saban still managed to motivate his players to show up and play hard... Same as last year... This is something that is often overlooked when there are so many statistics available. Getting your players to give everything they can when the season is technically over after 6 games is no easy task... They responded and the systems he has in place are finally starting to blossom. The answer lies more in personnal decisions than it does in coaching at this point. We could use a lot of depth in a lot of areas.

Saban is not going anywhere. Dolphin fans have absolutely zero patience with the development of a team. Saban should get AT LEAST 5 years to work on the franchise. If it isn't better in 2009 than it was in 2004, then you can SERIOUSLY talk about Saban getting the axe.

You guys repeating ESPN chatter are F$^%# TOOLS.

zonk4ever said:
You can't fairly judge Saban unless you give him 10 years maybe longer:sidelol:

just so's you know...the Mayan calendar (the most accurate ever recorded in human history) ENDS in the year 2012...ya boy better get started!

Let Saban have at least five years and see if he can get some more playmakers in here. Players need to make plays. He can't get the ball to Chambers himself, and if he could, he couldn't make Chambers catch it when it got there.

Just a Question!

What do you think Don Shula's record would be with the player's we have now?

Just a thought!

mcteems said:
Saban is not going anywhere. Dolphin fans have absolutely zero patience with the development of a team. Saban should get AT LEAST 5 years to work on the franchise. If it isn't better in 2009 than it was in 2004, then you can SERIOUSLY talk about Saban getting the axe.

You guys repeating ESPN chatter are F$^%# TOOLS.
Five years? Wannstedt got five years and people wanted his head after three. Why is Wanny's mediocrity not acceptable while Saban's potential mediocrity acceptable? I'm not advocating Saban to get canned, but if we don't make the playoffs next year (assuming we stay relatively healthy) we need to evaluate Saban on a year-to-year basis.

Fish-Head said:
Aside from statistics one of the best benchmarks of good coaching is motivation... After a 1 and 5 start Saban still managed to motivate his players to show up and play hard... Same as last year... This is something that is often overlooked when there are so many statistics available. Getting your players to give everything they can when the season is technically over after 6 games is no easy task... They responded and the systems he has in place are finally starting to blossom. The answer lies more in personnal decisions than it does in coaching at this point. We could use a lot of depth in a lot of areas.

Our team shouldnt be 1-5.....to begin with...

Fritz27 said:
Five years? Wannstedt got five years and people wanted his head after three. Why is Wanny's mediocrity not acceptable while Saban's potential mediocrity acceptable? I'm not advocating Saban to get canned, but if we don't make the playoffs next year (assuming we stay relatively healthy) we need to evaluate Saban on a year-to-year basis.

Ok. I like that. "Monitor his performance year to year". But that doesn't mean talking about firing him for going 8 - 8 or 9 - 7. He has to lose the job first by losing the teams focus. A record of 5 - 11 or lower would justify talk of him not leading the team in the right direction.

Also, this is a good thing to remember. Miami has ALWAYS been up and down. They would either win strong the first half and then taper off, or lose early and then finish strong. That kind of up and down play doesn't make for a playoff team. They have to be more consistent. So how about monitoring Saban year to year and see if he is getting the Phins to play more consistent throughout the season - starting in 2007.

Back
Top Bottom