Head coach rankings | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Head coach rankings

Eric Spolstra deserves COY........
I didn't look at the list, b/c I couldn't care less about the opinion, but I did want to say that McD reminds me a bit of Spolstra. I think part of the reason McD is at those Heat games (aside from just being there to enjoy the games) is to connect with and learn from ES. They both use a very positive and supportive approach and they use the media to craft their message to the team. The Heat has a fantastic culture that says 'if you work hard we can help you become the best you can be'. McD also seems poised to become a top tier coach schematically like ES is. McD has shown a proclivity at creating effective game plans, but he hasn't shown that ability to adjust in game yet. ES is arguably a schematic advantage against every other coach in the league. I'm hopeful that McD can eventually become the same in the NFL.

IMO the Heat's culture under Riley and then ES are the biggest reason for their success over the 18 years or so. Second is how good they've been at attracting stars. I think that's what Grier was trying to replicate with the Dolphins. It failed with Flores in large part b/c he became so toxic when he got the HC gig (My understanding is that people hadn't seen that 'blame everybody else' side of his personality when he was an underling). But McD is much closer to ES in style. Also Flores proved to have almost zero understanding of NFL offenses, but was also unwilling/unable to attract and let someone else run the offense. McD may or may not have much defensive understanding but he was able to attract arguably the best NFL defensive coach over the last decade + and seems very willing to let that guy run the D.

And of course Grier has been masterful since taking over at managing the cap and attracting/trading for stars.

I didn't look at the list, b/c I couldn't care less about the opinion, but I did want to say that McD reminds me a bit of Spolstra. I think part of the reason McD is at those Heat games (aside from just being there to enjoy the games) is to connect with and learn from ES. They both use a very positive and supportive approach and they use the media to craft their message to the team. The Heat has a fantastic culture that says 'if you work hard we can help you become the best you can be'. McD also seems poised to become a top tier coach schematically like ES is. McD has shown a proclivity at creating effective game plans, but he hasn't shown that ability to adjust in game yet. ES is arguably a schematic advantage against every other coach in the league. I'm hopeful that McD can eventually become the same in the NFL.

IMO the Heat's culture under Riley and then ES are the biggest reason for their success over the 18 years or so. Second is how good they've been at attracting stars. I think that's what Grier was trying to replicate with the Dolphins. It failed with Flores in large part b/c he became so toxic when he got the HC gig (My understanding is that people hadn't seen that 'blame everybody else' side of his personality when he was an underling). But McD is much closer to ES in style. Also Flores proved to have almost zero understanding of NFL offenses, but was also unwilling/unable to attract and let someone else run the offense. McD may or may not have much defensive understanding but he was able to attract arguably the best NFL defensive coach over the last decade + and seems very willing to let that guy run the D.

And of course Grier has been masterful since taking over at managing the cap and attracting/trading for stars.
Agree about the culture aspect, and that plus winning does attract talent.

OTOH, one reason I think he is the obvious COY choice this year, is that much of the team is comprised of undrafted guys, guys other franchises cast offs D league rescues, etc.

Spolstra has proven he's as good as it gets right now in the N B A but you've also got to give a big chunk of credit to Riles for putting the program together and IDing the right talent for Spo to make go! Great synergy and excellent continuity pays big dividends as long as you continually reload with good ammo.

The Heat are right up there with any sports franchise in terms of efficiency and effectiveness as it pertains to winning more than your share. That said, Spo is getting so much performance out of a team that (on paper) has no business doing what they're doing. Masterful job on all fronts. IMO.

Just came back here to say Shula > Belicheck and it isn’t close. Shula used 6 different QBs to get to 6 SBs (Unitas, Morrall, Griese, Woodley, Strock, Marino) and BB doesn’t even have a career .500 record without Brady. And he had a lot of good QBs in Kosar, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Fig Newton (cough, cough), and Mac Jones (cough, cough) - all NO 1 DRAFT PICKS. Plus, he cheated like a muthafooker in every conceivable way. **** him he’s not the great coach everyone thought. I know this is way off topic but, yeah

Back
Top Bottom