Head Coach Tracker | Page 25 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Head Coach Tracker

We consistently were terrible on offense under Gase and we always came out flat as a team. His only upside is he knew how to keep games close so we had a shot at the end. We look at his record when people were healthy and think maybe it was a mistake to fire him but I don't think that's the case. X bailed us out in the first jets game and the raiders game with end zone interceptions. We nearly blew a 21-0 lead to the jets. The raiders didn't even want to win and almost did if it weren't for a few lucky plays. We got extremely lucky to beat New England, he punted late in the game which was a really bad decision even though we ended up winning. He just isn't a good head coach.

I can't believe that Joe Philbin got an interim gig and Zac Taylor is up for HC of the Bengals. Dan Campbell had HC interviews but would rather stay as TE/AHC rather than work as a HC in Miami. Mike Sherman is in Canada. Vance Joseph is demoted back to DC. Bill Lazor interviewed as for HC in Cincy.

Man the NFL is dumb.

Changing coaches every 3 years hasn't worked out very well over the last 20, has it?

That’s because we keep hiring the wrong coaches. These coaches that have never accomplished anything.

I can't believe that Joe Philbin got an interim gig and Zac Taylor is up for HC of the Bengals. Dan Campbell had HC interviews but would rather stay as TE/AHC rather than work as a HC in Miami. Mike Sherman is in Canada. Vance Joseph is demoted back to DC. Bill Lazor interviewed as for HC in Cincy.

Man the NFL is dumb.
It's really not surprising. It's the three year spin cycle. Those guys are caught up in it our cycle. In three years you will be hearing the same names except there will be some more ex Dolphins to add to the list. We are the coaching septic tank of the NFL.

Gase goes after an established coordinator. I guess he learned his lesson. That makes one.

Gase tried to hire Vic Fangio and was overruled and asked to promote Burke. The difference is NYJ is letting Gase hire who he wants.

Man the NFL is dumb.

We interviewed Dennis Allen. Allen's winning percentage of .222 is among the worst of all time for coaches who have 2 full seasons under their belts. We're talking all time bad here.

Let me put it this way, if Miami were to hire Dennis Allen, it would be nearly unprecedented in the history of the entire NFL. Going back all the way to the inception of the NFL, I could only find a couple of coaches who won fewer than 25% of their games and got hired for another team on anything but an interim basis:

Pete Henry coached the Canton Bulldogs to a 1-9-3 record in 1926. He was hired by the Pottsville Maroons in 1928, and coached them to a 2-8 record. I didn't know anything about Pete Henry, so I looked this up. Guy was a great football player, All-American. He was acquired as a player in the days of player coaches, and coached the team because he was the best / most experienced guy on the team. That makes sense.

Mike Nixon coached the Washington Redskins in 1959-60. He went 4-18-2. He was then hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1965. Well, sort of. The head coach QUIT on the eve of the season and Nixon took over the job due to that emergency. He went 2-12.

Bert Bell coached the Philadelphia Eagles between 1936 and 1940. He went 10-44-2. Note: He was owner of the team during that time. He sold the team in after the 1940 season and bought a major share in the Pittsburgh Steelers. He coached the team for two games and had an 0-2 record.

In 98 years of NFL play, I could only find three coaches who had 8+ games coached, won 25% or fewer of those games, and were subsequently handed another head coaching job at the outset of a new league season. One of those guys owned the team. Another guy only got the job because the actual head coach freaking quit right before the season, and the third guy was a player coach.

Weirdly enough, I'd be perfectly fine with the hiring of Dennis Allen. History has shown that coaches who are extremely bad (winning percentage under .300) tend to continue being extremely bad. Allen would be the perfect tank commander for this job.

Last edited:

Man the NFL is dumb.

It's like the Dolphins released a virus on the NFL. See if we can bring them down by infecting them with our mistakes.

That’s because we keep hiring the wrong coaches. These coaches that have never accomplished anything.

Look man, Gase ****ed himself with his attitude of inevitable failure at the end. But TWO things led to his demise - ungodly # of injuries, which he couldn't control, and refusing to fire Burke. I'm just saying that if Gase hadn't pissed of the injury god and had hired even an AVERAGE DC, we'd be in an entirely different position than we are now. Gase and Williams aren't going to be able to co-exist for long, but how tragically Dolphinesque is it that as the Cheats begin their inevitable decline, Miami puts itself in this position and bolsters NYJ.

We interviewed Dennis Allen. Allen's winning percentage of .222 is among the worst of all time for coaches who have 2 full seasons under their belts. We're talking all time bad here.

Let me put it this way, if Miami were to hire Dennis Allen, it would be nearly unprecedented in the history of the entire NFL. Going back all the way to the inception of the NFL, I could only find a couple of coaches who won fewer than 25% of their games and got hired for another team on anything but an interim basis:

Pete Henry coached the Canton Bulldogs to a 1-9-3 record in 1926. He was hired by the Pottsville Maroons in 1928, and coached them to a 2-8 record.

Mike Nixon coached the Washington Redskins in 1959-60. He went 4-18-2. He was then hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1965. Well, sort of. The head coach QUIT on the eve of the season and Nixon took over the job due to that emergency. He went 2-12.

Bert Bell coached the Philadelphia Eagles between 1936 and 1940. He went 10-44-2. Note: He was owner of the team during that time. He sold the team in after the 1940 season and bought a major share in the Pittsburgh Steelers. He coached the team for two games and had an 0-2 record.

In 98 years of NFL play, I could only find three coaches who had 8+ games coached, won 25% or fewer of those games, and were subsequently handed another head coaching job at the outset of a new league season. One of those guys owned the team. Another guy only got the job because the actual head coach freaking quit right before the season, and the third guy coached the... Pottsville Maroons?

Weirdly enough, I'd be perfectly fine with the hiring of Dennis Allen. History has shown that coaches who are extremely bad (winning percentage under .300) tend to continue being extremely bad. Allen would be the perfect tank commander for this job.

who's your source on these previous hires?

Back
Top Bottom