Head scracher signing - Flowers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Head scracher signing - Flowers

25 and ascending after a position switch to kick inside.

I think the contract is proper, especially once Thuney got tagged.

I think the only better guard on the market was the one from Detroit that went to Denver (2 years older), but even still there is some upside here with Flowers. Franchise tags really decimated what was looking like a real decent guard class in FA.

Its the unfortunate reality of having to fill a need in FA. I mean Greenbay threw 7.5 AAV at Billy Turner last year (yea that Billy Turner).

The head scratcher would of been to sit on our hands and do nothing.

Feel good that Miami doesn't have to reach for a guard in the draft now, that is way worse than a conceived slight overpay in FA to fill a need.
Funny story, Billy Turner has gone on to play well for other NFL teams, like Denver. Don't know how he did in GB, but it's amazing that could ever happen.

25 and ascending after a position switch to kick inside.

I think the contract is proper, especially once Thuney got tagged.

I think the only better guard on the market was the one from Detroit that went to Denver (2 years older), but even still there is some upside here with Flowers. Franchise tags really decimated what was looking like a real decent guard class in FA.

Its the unfortunate reality of having to fill a need in FA. I mean Greenbay threw 7.5 AAV at Billy Turner last year (yea that Billy Turner).

The head scratcher would of been to sit on our hands and do nothing.

Feel good that Miami doesn't have to reach for a guard in the draft now, that is way worse than a conceived slight overpay in FA to fill a need.

This. I rather overpay an O linemen a few extra million in FA and focus the draft on skill positions (who will be cheap) than over pay (by 7M a year) on a FA in a skill position and draft O line who also take 3 years to develop.

So we overpaid him by 2/3M a year? so what.

My thought is we see his ceiling as being much higher than others on the market given his first round pedigree and youth. It’s not that big a contract when you consider we have plenty of cap and likely to not even use it all.

To quote many in reference to the QB situation, "it's not overpaying if you get the performance you want". We'll see if they get to play later this year. Let's put it this way, our Guard play couldn't be much worse...

PFF graded him 28th out of 67 guards who played at least 500 snaps last season. Is that kind of middling production really worth an APY of $10 million?

Absolutely. 28th out of 67 is a superstar compared to what our guard play looked like.

#28 in the entire league at 25 years old in his first season at that position?

Give me moar of that, please.

My thought is we see his ceiling as being much higher than others on the market given his first round pedigree and youth. It’s not that big a contract when you consider we have plenty of cap and likely to not even use it all.

A lot of factors could be in play....

Turns out he's actually that good

Your point, in us seeing him with that higher ceiling than others

Other teams involved also seeing a higher ceiling. Thus competition making price go up.

I mean I really don't think Flores and Grier woke up that morning and said " Lets go out and waste some of Ross's money "...

We got to believe that our guys (especially at this stage) know enough of what they are doing than to just throwing money away or are looking to get themselves in some kind of cap hell....

We as Fans at this early stage have to evaluate their ideas and plans after they actually had time to play out, otherwise we might as well be audtioning for the Carnac position.... ( johnny carson probably ahead of manys time in here )

Last edited:
PFF graded him 28th out of 67 guards who played at least 500 snaps last season. Is that kind of middling production really worth an APY of $10 million?

With today's salary cap, yes.

Especially for a young player who finally moved to his true position.

Nature of the beast of FA is that you'll over pay the first week.
Thuney was tagged and well an already weak Guard class became even weaker.

Flowers cap is for 2020 in 5mil, his cap hit in 2021 is 12mil. 2022 his hit is 13mil, but only has a dead cap of 3 mil and the team could cut him if he sucks and save 10mil.

So, it's basically a 2+1 deal. For cap hit purposes, he counts for 17 mil over two seasons. That's not bad for a guard you sign day 1 in FA.

If he plays well, his 3rd year cap hit will be on par with most good to elite guards in 2022. If not, the team moves on.

He’s not. But having to go this route is a byproduct of how poor the Dolphins have been at drafting guards.

28 out of 67 isn’t bad at all. As far as the money he signed for is concerned, that is the market at the time for guards who grade out in the top third in the league and happen to be fortunate enough to be free agents. Personally I think salaries in all major sports are ridiculous when you compare them to the professions which actually benefit society, but it is what it is.

Not a head scratcher at all.... Which guard did you want to sign?

He might be one of those players that will scale back his play now that he got paid. Haven’t seen that before happen to Miami...

Back
Top Bottom