Head scracher signing - Flowers | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Head scracher signing - Flowers

It is the price of a starting guard, not on a rookie contract, in the NFL today. Not a head scratcher at all imo, his grade is top 3rd of the league in guards seems like a good thing considering the first 7 games dragged him down. In his last 8/9 games I think he was a 70+ on pff grading every game. He is trending up for sure, price is what the market calls for.

Last edited:
I think they view him as ascending since he switched to guard last year.

Also Trent Williams was out injured and he had a pretty bad left tackle playing next to him.

I think they view him as ascending since he switched to guard last year.

Also Trent Williams was out injured and he had a pretty bad left tackle playing next to him.
Right now the Dolphins don’t have a LT. So we can only hope Flowers will end up playing next to a LT who is better than the LT he played next to with the Redskins.

Right now the Dolphins don’t have a LT. So we can only hope Flowers will end up playing next to a LT who is better than the LT he played next to with the Redskins.
Here's a clue, check out one of the top 4-5 OT's in the up coming Draft. Theres most likely your guy...your welcome..

Oh ya been doing more research on Flowers the G in films, and He's pretty damn good in most I've seen..

In the grand scheme of things, its not a bad signing, and not a bad contract. It doesn't mean we are set at guard, but we are in a better spot than we were before FA.

Hey, he graded out top 40% over the year in a new position. Over the last half of the season he clearly played better and would have graded out even better. I'm thinking by the end of next season we will see we have a top 20% guard at below market value. Some guys give up when they are deemed a bust, some fight like hell to reestablish themselves. Only time will tell, but I think he has already begone to do so.

It's important to understand the context when signing a player.

First this was not a stellar crop of free agents as a whole.

Second, Flowers fit the mold for how Miami is building a foundation, 26 years old and showing growth as a player.

Third, Flowers is an upgrade over what Miami had.

Fourth, once Miami identified him as a target and having the cap space to pay him above what pundits think is fair market value given his previous play do the Dolphins want to risk not signing him, hoping other teams won't and eventually Flowers will choose Miami for a fair price over other teams who might be offering in the same ballpark?

Personally, I think this was a good signing even for the price.

Last edited:
PFF graded him 28th out of 67 guards who played at least 500 snaps last season. Is that kind of middling production really worth an APY of $10 million?

From what I’ve read the bet is that he is young and is just coming into his prime and hasn’t reached his ceiling yet. Of course, the risk is that any player who for most of his contract underperformed his rookie contract and just plays well for 9 or so games in a contract year is whether that hard work and preparation that is necessary to keep improving will continue after he has been paid. We’ll see, I think his contract was front loaded in terms of guaranteed money, so he can probably be fairly easily moved on from in two years if he doesn’t work out.

I dont mind the Flowers addition, the head scratcher for me is that he's the only notable addition on the OL. Sure there's still the draft but dont expect rookie OLs to come in and start patching holes adequately year 1. ie. Deiter.
This is still a viable strategy long term but if they expect to compete next season, then they'd have been better off investing in the OL as opposed to having the 2 top paid CBs on the roster.

PFF graded him 28th out of 67 guards who played at least 500 snaps last season. Is that kind of middling production really worth an APY of $10 million?

Yes.

Thuney was tagged, and there weren't a whole lot of other options available in FA. Was there a G option that I would have preferred for a little more money? Yes. For whatever reason, Grier/Flores preferred Flowers at G. He's younger, cheaper, and has less guaranteed money than the Glasgow contract.

Will the G position be better next year because of this signing? Yes. Does the contract hinder the Dolphins long-term? No.

So was it worth it? Yes. I don't really care how much he makes in 2020.

You still avoided the question. Instead concentrating on the Fin Heaven talking points, and not the fact a 1 yr serviceable Guard will make 10 mil a year.

I think most fans have progressed beyond the point where they obsess over dollar amounts. This team is in a position where 10 mil costs less than 5 mil for a team like the Cowboys. If he bombs out the team takes the hit and moves on.

The gamble is that hes getting better at the position and will produce at a higher level for the Phins. It is a gamble but one that a team like this should be taking. The frightening deal is the one handed out to Jones. Even if he plays at a high level its tough to justify that kind of outlay if there isn't a significant improvement in the defensive unit as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom