Hear me out ... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hear me out ...

El Canadian

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know that Tua wasn't the best rookie out there this season .. hell, there were games where I wanted to pull my hair out like the rest of you. Especially after watching Herbert and Burrow look so good for the Chargers and Bengals.

Though, there is something that I want to draw attention to, and don't worry it won't be me relating his rookie stats to other rookies as every rookie is put in a different situation and thus can't accurately be compared.

Let's look at what Tua did (with no preseason and coming back from a season ending hip injury), with what we had, compared to Fitzpatrick (a 16 year veteran who knows this offense)

WR corps: Devante Parker, Preston Williams (For 1 1/2 games), Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford, Mack Hollins, Lynn Bowden, and Malcolm Perry
TE corps: Mike Gesicki, Adam Shaheen, and Durham Smyth.
RB group: Matt Breida, Myles Gaskin, Salvon Ahmed, DeAndre Washington, and Patrick Laird.

All in all, a pretty disappointing group but let's be honest here. Fitzpatrick also had to deal with this exact same group and he was substantially better... or was he?

Week 1 vs Patriots: A lot of us forget about what exactly happened at the beginning of the season, does no one remember him throwing 3 INT's and no TD's for 191 yards against the Patriots? I know it was the first game of the season, but Fitzpatrick isn't a rookie, he's a 16 year vet, against what turned out to be one of if not the poorest Patriots team of the past 2 decades. Now how did Tua do, 1 INT, no TD's and only 145 yards. We won the game because of how important ball protection is with Tua. If he would've thrown 3 INT's, we likely lose that game.

Week 2 vs Bills: Then Fitzpatrick went on an absolute tear, 325 yards with 2 TD's and 0 INT's. Great game from Fitzmagic

Week 3 vs Jags: Fitz threw for 2 TD's and 0 INT's but ... he only put up 160 yards. I didn't hear anyone talking about his yardage back then...

Week 4 vs Seattle: Tough week for Fitzpatrick, 315 yards but no TD's to show for it and 2 INT's.

Week 5 vs San Francisco: A Fitzmagic special, 350 yards and 3 TD's. One of my favourite games of the season.

Week 6 vs Jets: The 24-0 is often remembered and people think Fitz completely dominated but he only went 18-27, 191 yards, 3 TD's and 2 INT's.

Tua was just a game manager against the Rams, I thought he did great against the Cardinals, was trash against the Broncos, great against the Bengals, good against the Chiefs, game manager against the Patriots, trash against the Raiders, and bad against the Bills. I know he had 3 INT's against the Bills and 1 could possibly be the worst INT i've seen this season, the 2nd was a bad pass but could've easily just been incomplete and then the first was when Devante Parker slipped.

I do stand by my opinion where I think Tua was better against the Bills than against the Broncos or Raiders which further goes to show you can't just go off stats.

I wasn't intending to **** on Fitzpatrick, I love Fitz and I'm so glad we got to have him for the past 2 seasons but when we actually go through every game, is Tua actually as far off as we think? Yes I think Fitz was overall better this year but I also think the games against the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Bills were necessary for the development of Tua. To be clear, I do think that Fitz was better than Tua this year but we needed Tua to start getting used to the league so that he's prepared next year.

The kid is going to be fine. Support the kid for at least another year, let's see what he does with weapons. If he fails, you can say you were right all along, if not, we'll all be happy with a good QB right? After all, we all want the same thing and that's for the Miami Dolphins to win the 2022 NFL super bowl ;) . I believe in Tua.

Last edited:
lWjPyQXYruYa_9sKtCGcBsrKD8o_N47BBOYjJak4ckg8vjXg80DJmgvJZiX-uqTsrAXt2n1X-9kJ8c24DT9_meHe6BwKiGqrXmZjrmU5lcOdvdiCKu0kay_ezjjrzrA9khdAb3TD0uimYVT8m8rdqkEgCuyeGz-bKHE

You simply can not base your assumptions on those stats, Fitzpatrick simply has a better arm, better reads, was surprisingly more mobile, has better pocket awareness and made the offense move very well. TUA has not shown any of that yet, most people have concerns and my personal view is that TUAs ceiling is not that high, he can be a very nice game manager and a decent NFL QB and he was over hyped which sadly made most people expect to much from him. Flores did well playing him, they will evaluate and decide. my bet is that they will bring serious competition to the building.

Tua deserves a new OC that highlights his skillset, full training camp, preseason, mature oline and some offensive skill players before we send him back to Hawaii.

—Russell Wilson had 10 INTs his rookie year and 3 in one game

—Drew Brees had 16 INT his first year as starter, 4 games with 2 INTs and one game with 3 INTs

Good thing no one listened to most clueless Dolphins fans who are only interested in instant grits—pour water, heat it, instant all pro. Just moronic.

Tua deserves a new OC that highlights his skillset, full training camp, preseason, mature oline and some offensive skill players before we send him back to Hawaii.

—Russell Wilson had 10 INTs his rookie year and 3 in one game

—Drew Brees had 16 INT his first year as starter, 4 games with 2 INTs and one game with 3 INTs

Good thing no one listened to most clueless Dolphins fans who are only interested in instant grits—pour water, heat it, instant all pro. Just moronic.
This

I know that Tua wasn't the best rookie out there this season .. hell, there were games where I wanted to pull my hair out like the rest of you. Especially after watching Herbert and Burrow look so good for the Chargers and Bengals.

Though, there is something that I want to draw attention to, and don't worry it won't be me relating his rookie stats to other rookies as every rookie is put in a different situation and thus can't accurately be compared.

Let's look at what Tua did (with no preseason and coming back from a season ending hip injury), with what we had, compared to Fitzpatrick (a 16 year veteran who knows this offense)

WR corps: Devante Parker, Preston Williams (For 1 1/2 games), Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford, Mack Hollins, Lynn Bowden, and Malcolm Perry
TE corps: Mike Gesicki, Adam Shaheen, and Durham Smyth.
RB group: Matt Breida, Myles Gaskin, Salvon Ahmed, DeAndre Washington, and Patrick Laird.

All in all, a pretty disappointing group but let's be honest here. Fitzpatrick also had to deal with this exact same group and he was substantially better... or was he?

Week 1 vs Patriots: A lot of us forget about what exactly happened at the beginning of the season, does no one remember him throwing 3 INT's and no TD's for 191 yards against the Patriots? I know it was the first game of the season, but Fitzpatrick isn't a rookie, he's a 16 year vet, against what turned out to be one of if not the poorest Patriots team of the past 2 decades. Now how did Tua do, 1 INT, no TD's and only 145 yards. We won the game because of how important ball protection is with Tua. If he would've thrown 3 INT's, we likely lose that game.

Week 2 vs Bills: Then Fitzpatrick went on an absolute tear, 325 yards with 2 TD's and 0 INT's. Great game from Fitzmagic

Week 3 vs Jags: Fitz threw for 2 TD's and 0 INT's but ... he only put up 160 yards. I didn't hear anyone talking about his yardage back then...

Week 4 vs Seattle: Tough week for Fitzpatrick, 315 yards but no TD's to show for it and 2 INT's.

Week 5 vs San Francisco: A Fitzmagic special, 350 yards and 3 TD's. One of my favourite games of the season.

Week 6 vs Jets: The 24-0 is often remembered and people think Fitz completely dominated but he only went 18-27, 191 yards, 3 TD's and 2 INT's.

Tua was just a game manager against the Rams, I thought he did great against the Cardinals, was trash against the Broncos, great against the Bengals, good against the Chiefs, game manager against the Patriots, trash against the Raiders, and bad against the Bills. I know he had 3 INT's against the Bills and 1 could possibly be the worst INT i've seen this season, the 2nd was a bad pass but could've easily just been incomplete and then the first was when Devante Parker slipped.

I do stand by my opinion where I think Tua was better against the Bills than against the Broncos or Raiders which further goes to show you can't just go off stats.

I wasn't intending to **** on Fitzpatrick, I love Fitz and I'm so glad we got to have him for the past 2 seasons but when we actually go through every game, is Tua actually as far off as we think? Yes I think Fitz was overall better this year but I also think the games against the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Bills were necessary for the development of Tua. To be clear, I do think that Fitz was better than Tua this year but we needed Tua to start getting used to the league so that he's prepared next year.

The kid is going to be fine. Support the kid for at least another year, let's see what he does with weapons. If he fails, you can say you were right all along, if not, we'll all be happy with a good QB right? After all, we all want the same thing and that's for the Miami Dolphins to win the 2022 NFL super bowl ;) . I believe in Tua.
The problem is...we won’t be drafting top ten again anytime soon...reality is we may never see # 3 in the draft again...It would be irresponsible to ignore the possibility of a double Down at QB if a prospect is worthy.

The problem is...we won’t be drafting top ten again anytime soon...reality is we may never see # 3 in the draft again...It would be irresponsible to ignore the possibility of a double Down at QB if a prospect is worthy.
We could always find a franchise qb in the second round, who needs the third pick?

Denver recently did
🙂

It's foolish to make concrete decisions off a rookie year, especially as fans when we know very little from what happens from Monday-Saturday. And the fact the NFL is a huge step up from the college ranks and Tua plays the hardest position to grasp in the NFL.

Tua didn't light up the league and struggled greatly at times. He also had some games that made me think he could be the guy.

Unless there's some behind the scenes stuff going on, he'll be given a few more years to show he's the guy.
The F.O. has a great opportunity to build a legit core around him. They have premium draft picks and cap space to do so.

We have holes to fill on offense, as WR, RB and OL can use some talent infusion. TBD.

This team got beat down bad by a rival and got no favors by 3 teams and is now out of the playoffs, again. So I expect this board to be venting for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom