Hear me out ... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hear me out ...

The problem is...we won’t be drafting top ten again anytime soon...reality is we may never see # 3 in the draft again...It would be irresponsible to ignore the possibility of a double Down at QB if a prospect is worthy.
How do you know this? We got the 3rd pick by trading a high value player...not by sucking. You're basing this on the fact that we (hopefully) will not be one of the worst teams in the league in upcoming years. That's not how or why we have such a good pick in the next draft. I heard Colin Cowturd say this exact thing...He is an overpaid moron. Have faith in the coach to make this decision...Flores earned the right to decide whether or not Tua is the future. Flores has shown he is not scared to make a tough decision if it's best for the team.

You simply can not base your assumptions on those stats, Fitzpatrick simply has a better arm, better reads, was surprisingly more mobile, has better pocket awareness and made the offense move very well. TUA has not shown any of that yet, most people have concerns and my personal view is that TUAs ceiling is not that high, he can be a very nice game manager and a decent NFL QB and he was over hyped which sadly made most people expect to much from him. Flores did well playing him, they will evaluate and decide. my bet is that they will bring serious competition to the building.
There were times when Fitzpatrick was playing QB in which the offense bogged down for long periods of time and did absolutely nothing. Fitzpatrick also had several years of experience in the Gailey offense while Tua had no preseason to learn the offense. The fact Fitzpatrick is better at reading NFL defenses than a first year rookie QB should be no surprise. He has been reading those defenses since Tua was in grade school.

Fitzpatrick does have a better feel for moving in the pocket and running for yardage but he is probably better than 90% of the QB’s in NFL in that area of the game. So the fact Tua isn’t at his level in this aspect of the game shouldn’t be a big surprise. While Fitzpatrick takes more chances and throws the ball downfield more than Tua at this stage of his career. That to me doesn’t mean Tua has a weaker arm than Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick has a history of throwing the ball down the field and sometimes he connects and other times he has the ball intercepted.

There is a reason Fitzpatrick has played for so many teams and never led any of those teams to the playoffs. There is also a reason that the teams he has been the starting QB for draft a QB to replace him and why he has been a backup QB for the majority of his career. It’s because that while he can play at a high level of periods of a game or parts of a season, he just isn’t good enough to be the QB for an entire season. He has proved that time and again throughout his career and it is as true today as it has been since he entered the league.

I like Fitzpatrick and think he is an excellent backup QB and a good mentor for Tua. Yet as Fitzpatrick stated earlier in the season, :”Tua has the skills to do things on the football field he just can;t do”. Obviously Tua still needs to improve in several aspects of the game at the NFL level but the fact is he is a rookie QB on a team with very limited offensive talent around him.

If the fans In Indianapolis had been as judgmental about Peyton Manning in his rookie season as some Dolphin fans have been about Tua, they could have ended up missing out on Manning‘s great career. Especially if the front of the Colts had decided to draft another QB after he had a terrible rookie season and they had decided trade Manning to another team because he wasn’t great as a rookie QB.

We could always find a franchise qb in the second round, who needs the third pick?

Denver recently did
🙂
Draft a QB in the 6th round. It certainly worked out for the Patriots for nearly two decades. It would be a total waste of a very high draft pick to draft a QB in 2021 unless it was Lawrence and there is no way the Jaguars are trading out of the top pick. I see no other QB in the 2021 draft worth picking in the first round. There are far too many elite players available at 3 to waste that pick on a backup QB for Tua.

There were times when Fitzpatrick was playing QB in which the offense bogged down for long periods of time and did absolutely nothing. Fitzpatrick also had several years of experience in the Gailey offense while Tua had no preseason to learn the offense. The fact Fitzpatrick is better at reading NFL defenses than a first year rookie QB should be no surprise. He has been reading those defenses since Tua was in grade school.

Fitzpatrick does have a better feel for moving in the pocket and running for yardage but he is probably better than 90% of the QB’s in NFL in that area of the game. So the fact Tua isn’t at his level in this aspect of the game shouldn’t be a big surprise. While Fitzpatrick takes more chances and throws the ball downfield more than Tua at this stage of his career. That to me doesn’t mean Tua has a weaker arm than Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick has a history of throwing the ball down the field and sometimes he connects and other times he has the ball intercepted.

There is a reason Fitzpatrick has played for so many teams and never led any of those teams to the playoffs. There is also a reason that the teams he has been the starting QB for draft a QB to replace him and why he has been a backup QB for the majority of his career. It’s because that while he can play at a high level of periods of a game or parts of a season, he just isn’t good enough to be the QB for an entire season. He has proved that time and again throughout his career and it is as true today as it has been since he entered the league.

I like Fitzpatrick and think he is an excellent backup QB and a good mentor for Tua. Yet as Fitzpatrick stated earlier in the season, :”Tua has the skills to do things on the football field he just can;t do”. Obviously Tua still needs to improve in several aspects of the game at the NFL level but the fact is he is a rookie QB on a team with very limited offensive talent around him.

If the fans In Indianapolis had been as judgmental about Peyton Manning in his rookie season as some Dolphin fans have been about Tua, they could have ended up missing out on Manning‘s great career. Especially if the front of the Colts had decided to draft another QB after he had a terrible rookie season and they had decided trade Manning to another team because he wasn’t great as a rookie QB.
Has anyone taken the time to actually looked at Fitz's career stats? I have and they are not very good. At all. Losing record, more INTs than TD's, just all over the place. Career backup for a reason. BTW who did Fitz beat this year again? The Jets twice, the Jags and the Niners. In relief he threw an INT to lose one game and pulled a Fitz-magic miracle out of his ass, pretty much symbolic of his entire career.

I know that Tua wasn't the best rookie out there this season .. hell, there were games where I wanted to pull my hair out like the rest of you. Especially after watching Herbert and Burrow look so good for the Chargers and Bengals.

Though, there is something that I want to draw attention to, and don't worry it won't be me relating his rookie stats to other rookies as every rookie is put in a different situation and thus can't accurately be compared.

Let's look at what Tua did (with no preseason and coming back from a season ending hip injury), with what we had, compared to Fitzpatrick (a 16 year veteran who knows this offense)

WR corps: Devante Parker, Preston Williams (For 1 1/2 games), Jakeem Grant, Isaiah Ford, Mack Hollins, Lynn Bowden, and Malcolm Perry
TE corps: Mike Gesicki, Adam Shaheen, and Durham Smyth.
RB group: Matt Breida, Myles Gaskin, Salvon Ahmed, DeAndre Washington, and Patrick Laird.

All in all, a pretty disappointing group but let's be honest here. Fitzpatrick also had to deal with this exact same group and he was substantially better... or was he?

Week 1 vs Patriots: A lot of us forget about what exactly happened at the beginning of the season, does no one remember him throwing 3 INT's and no TD's for 191 yards against the Patriots? I know it was the first game of the season, but Fitzpatrick isn't a rookie, he's a 16 year vet, against what turned out to be one of if not the poorest Patriots team of the past 2 decades. Now how did Tua do, 1 INT, no TD's and only 145 yards. We won the game because of how important ball protection is with Tua. If he would've thrown 3 INT's, we likely lose that game.

Week 2 vs Bills: Then Fitzpatrick went on an absolute tear, 325 yards with 2 TD's and 0 INT's. Great game from Fitzmagic

Week 3 vs Jags: Fitz threw for 2 TD's and 0 INT's but ... he only put up 160 yards. I didn't hear anyone talking about his yardage back then...

Week 4 vs Seattle: Tough week for Fitzpatrick, 315 yards but no TD's to show for it and 2 INT's.

Week 5 vs San Francisco: A Fitzmagic special, 350 yards and 3 TD's. One of my favourite games of the season.

Week 6 vs Jets: The 24-0 is often remembered and people think Fitz completely dominated but he only went 18-27, 191 yards, 3 TD's and 2 INT's.

Tua was just a game manager against the Rams, I thought he did great against the Cardinals, was trash against the Broncos, great against the Bengals, good against the Chiefs, game manager against the Patriots, trash against the Raiders, and bad against the Bills. I know he had 3 INT's against the Bills and 1 could possibly be the worst INT i've seen this season, the 2nd was a bad pass but could've easily just been incomplete and then the first was when Devante Parker slipped.

I do stand by my opinion where I think Tua was better against the Bills than against the Broncos or Raiders which further goes to show you can't just go off stats.

I wasn't intending to **** on Fitzpatrick, I love Fitz and I'm so glad we got to have him for the past 2 seasons but when we actually go through every game, is Tua actually as far off as we think? Yes I think Fitz was overall better this year but I also think the games against the Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, and Bills were necessary for the development of Tua. To be clear, I do think that Fitz was better than Tua this year but we needed Tua to start getting used to the league so that he's prepared next year.

The kid is going to be fine. Support the kid for at least another year, let's see what he does with weapons. If he fails, you can say you were right all along, if not, we'll all be happy with a good QB right? After all, we all want the same thing and that's for the Miami Dolphins to win the 2022 NFL super bowl ;) . I believe in Tua.

Saying he will "be fine" is a little strong. even those of us who were hoping He'd be a Dolphin will admit he may not "be fine." Beyond that, I'm in general agreement. Many positions (including QBs) improve significantly between rookie and year 2

I'll preface this with saying I love Tua the person, but I want to talk about Tua, the prospect.

I'll admit I've been wrong. After letting the loss from yesterday set it and reflecting on the season as a whole I've got alot of theories and opinions that have flushed out today.

1) Tua is a disappointment - I wouldn't say he had a bad rookie year but compaired to what we were expecting from Tua, he is a disappointment.

We were sold on his mental skills and accuracy. Both did not bare fruit this year. We ignored his obvious short commings (arm strength, size, injuries) because he had these traits that "can't be teached" In hindsight if we were indeed sold a bill of goods, we currently have a weak armed, unathletic, small QB. Poses the Question, is Tua a better athlete than Fields or Wilson??? Obviously he is not so the next question becomes: is Tua a better QB than these guys??? I dont know.

I'm not saying Tua can't get better; but damn, hes not the prospect I thought he was, that much is for sure.

2) Does Flores believe Tua is the guy?

Rumors out there insist that Tua was inserted as the starter earlier this year because Ross "wanted to see what he can do" not that Flores thought Tua gave us the best chance to win.

After spending a season with Tua I have serious suspicion that Flores might not have faith in Tua. I mean he benched him every chance he got and woulda benched him yesterday if Fitz was healthy.

So does Flores believe Tua is a franchise QB? Tua will never be the athlete Josh Allen will be so we are already at a disadvantage against Buffalo in that aspect. Does Flores want a more athletic QB that can make plays with his feet?

3) We have a chance to rewrite our future because of this Houston pick, if there is a shread of doubt in Tua by the FO and Flo, we must look long and hard at Wilson and Fields. Ask Cardinals fans if they regret letting Rosen go and taking Murray the next year and ill bet none of them are complaining.

I know some here are still in the form I was in when it comes to defending Tua and I'm asking you not to think with your heart on this issue but with your head. Has Tua done enough to make you think, Yea this is definitely the guy?

Tua just seems so unathletic, hes has no speed, no power on his throws, no power when running, no long balls downfield, hes short, the negatives really add up when you starting breaking down Tua as a prospect.

I'm having doubts in Tua, ill admit it, im not giving up on Tua, but if Flo and Grier believe Wilson or Fields are an upgrade over Tua, im going to support their decision to move on from Tua already.

The kid is going to be fine. Support the kid for at least another year, let's see what he does with weapons. If he fails, you can say you were right all along, if not, we'll all be happy with a good QB right? After all, we all want the same thing and that's for the Miami Dolphins to win the 2022 NFL super bowl ;) . I believe in Tua.
Uh...yeah. He might be "fine". But should we expect better? Is "fine" okay with you? From some of the posters I am seeing, they seem to think so.

Uh...yeah. He might be "fine". But should we expect better? Is "fine" okay with you? From some of the posters I am seeing, they seem to think so.
Fine is okay with me at this time because he had a lot of below average players on offense around him this season. if the Dolphins get an offensive line that can actually pass block and they produce an average running game.along with WR’s who are much better than the practice squad receivers he was throwing too and Tua is still struggling, then I will be concerned.
Right now though Tua is not the problem on the offense. It is the linemen who can’t block in the passing game or open holes consistently in the running which are the major problem with the offense. Also other than Parker who is constantly injured, there is no another decent WR on the entire roster. The RB’s are average at best.

Yet with all these major issues on the offense, let’s blame the rookie QB for the fact the front office has done a crappy job so far building a decent offense around him.

Draft a QB in the 6th round. It certainly worked out for the Patriots for nearly two decades. It would be a total waste of a very high draft pick to draft a QB in 2021 unless it was Lawrence and there is no way the Jaguars are trading out of the top pick. I see no other QB in the 2021 draft worth picking in the first round. There are far too many elite players available at 3 to waste that pick on a backup QB for Tua.
Have you scouted all the 2021 draft eligible QB’s?

Have you scouted all the 2021 draft eligible QB’s?
No but I am sure the Dolphins have and if they decide they want to draft a young QB in the later rounds of the draft to be trained as Tua’s backup, I have no doubt they will draft one in rounds 5-7.

Tua deserves a new OC that highlights his skillset, full training camp, preseason, mature oline and some offensive skill players before we send him back to Hawaii.

—Russell Wilson had 10 INTs his rookie year and 3 in one game

—Drew Brees had 16 INT his first year as starter, 4 games with 2 INTs and one game with 3 INTs

Good thing no one listened to most clueless Dolphins fans who are only interested in instant grits—pour water, heat it, instant all pro. Just moronic.
What is Tua’s NFL skillset? I’m not being funny - am curious what we should be highlighting.

Back
Top Bottom