Heat end pursuit of AI | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Heat end pursuit of AI

SpencerFS

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
By Ira Winderman
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted December 18 2006, 6:31 PM EST

MIAMI -- Heat coach Pat Riley said Monday his team has ended its trade pursuit of 76ers guard Allen Iverson.

"That is not going to move forward," Riley said before his team faced the Hornets at AmericanAirlines Arena. "We have discussed just about every scenario. Those scenarios and discussions never became formal offers. And, so, we just feel that it's sort of time for us to just move on."

Iverson has been on the 76ers' inactive list for more than a week, with Philadelphia agreeing to deal the disgruntled All-Star scorer.

Riley last week expressed interest, saying, "I would be delinquent in my responsibilities if I didn't have interest in Allen Iverson."

No sooner did Riley offer that comment then speculation began on the futures of such supporting Heat players as James Posey, Jason Williams, Udonis Haslem, Dorell Wright and Antoine Walker.

Monday, Riley announced the pursuit was over.

"We are not going to pursue that any longer," he said. "I thought it was in the best interest of the franchise, obviously, to at least explore. So, as of today, we're done with it."

Riley said there was no formal offer from the Heat, just "scenarios and discussions forever."

Riley said the Heat was one of 28 teams to talk with 76ers General Manager Billy King.

"Scenarios and discussions always turn into offers, and then the media matches up dollars," Riley said of speculation around salary-cap scenarios. "And, before you know it, when you got 28 teams talking, then, before you know it, 'He offered this,' 'He offered that.'

"There were no formal offers, and it just got to the point where it got pretty complicated. So, we decided, to move on." :boohoo:

Can't say I ever expected it to happen even a little bit. The names being thrown around in trade scenarios(DWright, Haslem, etc.) scared me anyway.

Who would have played defense after that trade??

Thank GOD! Phew. Trading Jason Williams, Udonis Haslem, Dorrell Wright for Allen Iverson is WAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

We don't need him anyways. Our team will be ready in Round 1.

I am so happy now about these news.

Muck said:
Who would have played defense after that trade??
It would've been Jason Williams with Posey/Wright, Posey/Haslem, or Haslem/Wright.

We'd of still had one of our better defenders, along with Alonzo Mourning and Gary Payton. I'm sure with a hole like that, we'd of put a call in for Shandon Anderson as well. Wade isn't a bad defender either. In fact, with AI, his defense would certainly improve as he'd spend a bit less energy on the offensive side.

The REAL question is, who the hell could stop Wade/AI/Shaq? Impossible as long as they develop chemistry together, which IMO, wouldn't of been a problem.

We're 7-0 when Wade scores 30 points and 3-13 when he doesn't. That's gotta be the most pathetic stat in the NBA other than Carmelo's pass/shoot ratio. If not AI, we definitely need another scorer on this team like Corey Maggette who has pretty much put HIMSELF on the block. We're 10 wins and 13 losses, and we haven't even defeated a team with a winning record yet! Of course Shaq is out, but come on.

At full strength, this team is WITHOUT QUESTION the best team in the Eastern Conference, IMO. However, the question is.. will last year's team, a year older, and already blinged out on the finger.. be enough to beat a team like San Antonio, Phoenix, or a hungrier Dallas Mavericks? I don't know about that. Dorell Wright is the only difference right now, and he's a wild card every night due to his lack of experience (which isn't a knock, I think come next year, the kid is at least a 12/7 guy, probably more points). We really need a TRUE third scoring option who can drop 20+ every now and then, but consistently score double digits every night.

I am definitely not calling out Haslem or Posey to step up either. They are playing their roles effectively.

I live Iverson, I really do, but he is not a good fit for this team and the development of DWADE. Dwyane is the cornerstone of this franchise and does not Iverson influencing him and hogging the ball. We need some consistent defenders and spot shooters, not Iverson.

How pathetic..

You take Wade out for 1 minute, and the Hornets go on a 7-0 run.

My point exactly.

The Blueprint said:
How pathetic..

My point exactly.

Answer this with a simple YES or NO:
Would Allen Iverson assist in the development and character of Dwade or take away from it?

Bumrush said:
Answer this with a simple YES or NO:
Would Allen Iverson assist in the development and character of Dwade or take away from it?
No way in hell does he take away from Wade, especially his character.. not talking about you, but in general, to even think that a single player can take away from Wade's character is absurd.

Wade & AI are boys, anyway.. and Shaq & AI are actually close friends, from what I've read.

Smart move by Riley that he didnt mortgage the future.

Amars said:
Smart move by Riley that he didnt mortgage the future.

Especially NOW that in the post game they were talking about what the sixers said was the "Let's do it" trade.

Try Dorrell Wright, J-Will, Posey, and Haslem. We said hell no.

I agree. That was highway robbery.

The word is that they were willing to work with us...but they NEEDED to have Posey AND WRIGHT in the deal...that would have buried us defensively.

If Shaq is healthy or about 85% theres no reason why they can't repeat.

I would not be shocked if the trade was completed during the NBA All-Star Break....right now there is too much uncertainty, especially with many Nuggets and Knicks players getting an "unpaid vacation." :lol: I still think the Nugs will be involved in this deal in some way.

The Blueprint said:
How pathetic..

My point exactly.
Well, usually, whether it was Stan Van Gundy or Pat Riley, they never rested Shaq and Dwyane at the same time. When Shaq comes back, that will take a ton of pressure off Wade.

BTW, when Jason Williams and Dwyane Wade both start: 8-0 :yes:

Jason Williams played good defense on Chris Paul, litterally shut him out in the 4th quarter when we needed it.

Back
Top Bottom