Heated Debate: Why Doesn't Baseball us a Cap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Heated Debate: Why Doesn't Baseball us a Cap

Prime Time

Screw You Guys..Im Goin Home!!!
Reaction score
I am really tired of hearing Yankess sign this guy, and Red Sox sign this guy. There needs to be a Cap in Baseball IMO. Something very similar to NFL. That way it would be fair and It would not be same old teams in World Series every year. I mean honestly come on, let other teams taste success. I love baseball, but I hate the way It deals with money.

Any Major League Baseball team besides the Yankees and the Red Sox want the cap. My favorite team, the A's, have been stripped down and left for dead every time one of their key players comes up for a new contract.

There is a salary cap, but it is really high (way over 100 million dollars) and you are allowed to go over it, but you have to pay a luxury tax if you do.

The salary cap, however, doesn't do anything. It was created when they reached a new labor agreement a year ago. Baseball needs a salary cap similar to the one in football that you can't go over. This spending is ridiculous and there is very little competitive balance.

The good news is that the last two World Series winners were not big spenders. Spending money does not equal winning, but it does make it a whole lot easier.

Which is my point. Let there be a cap. Let teams switch off. Don't let Yankees by the only Dynasty while teams like Tampa and Detroit are bad every year. They need a NFL type cap. This crap is rediculous. Signing the best players every year.

The sad thing is that there will never be a salary cap like the NFLs. The players union is way too strong and they will never allow it.

Which is stupid. Baseball would make alot more money and would be a better business If they had a cap like the NFLs. More people would watch because It wouldn't eb like now where even people with no clue on what happened in the offseason could predict that Yankees would be in WS and having a good chance of that coming true.

If baseball gets a cap, it should not be as strict as the NFL's. The Yankees may buy their way through a lot of years but not this year.

Baseball also needs a better system of revenue sharing, so that small market teams like Pittsburgh and Milwaukee can better compete. Look at the NFL. Green Bay? You think that even those die hards could financially support a competitive team if the NFL was run the same way as MLB?

Here's the situation with baseball and a cap.

To form a cap, all owners would have to agree on doing so.
They haven't done this because it would cost them money. Why would you agree to limit yourself in what you spend when you can spend much more. Secondly, the players Union would be very VERY unhappy with this because it will mean that players contracts would become far less than what players are getting now.

Now, what has been done is that baseball has created something called the luxury tax threshold where teams that spend over a certain amount (around 100 million) have to pay a tax to baseball (aka. the yankees) then money from the major revenue teams are distributed to the lesser revenue making teams to try to fill some of the unbalanceness in baseball.

I would love for there to be a cap in baseball because it would make for a much more competitive sport. You look at football and look at the Super Bowl winners from past years:

2000 Rams
2001 Ravens
2002 Patriots
2003 Bucs

All teams that came out of no where

In baseball, you have the same teams making the playoffs almost every year like the Braves winning the NL East division for the past 12 years.

If there was a cap, things would be more competitive but the reality of it is that it probably won't happen.

Originally posted by Migs182005
Here's the situation with baseball and a cap.

To form a cap, all owners would have to agree on doing so.
They haven't done this because it would cost them money. Why would you agree to limit yourself in what you spend when you can spend much more. Secondly, the players Union would be very VERY unhappy with this because it will mean that players contracts would become far less than what players are getting now.

Now, what has been done is that baseball has created something called the luxury tax threshold where teams that spend over a certain amount (around 100 million) have to pay a tax to baseball (aka. the yankees) then money from the major revenue teams are distributed to the lesser revenue making teams to try to fill some of the unbalanceness in baseball.

I would love for there to be a cap in baseball because it would make for a much more competitive sport. You look at football and look at the Super Bowl winners from past years:

2000 Rams
2001 Ravens
2002 Patriots
2003 Bucs

Are you an Expos fan?
You look at baseball and look at the World Series winners from past years:

2000 Yankees
2001 Diamondbacks
2002 Angels
2003 Marlins

In baseball, you have the same teams making the playoffs almost every year like the Braves winning the NL East division for the past 12 years.

In baseball, you have the same teams making the playoffs almost every year like the Dolphins.

:lol: Nope, I'm a Marlins fan

But look, the last two years have been huge surprises that no one has expected. The luxury tax has not been the main reason why the the Angles and Marlins won.

But like you pointed out, the Yankees won, and then the D-backs won.
A team that loaded up big time with Schilling and Johnson. They broke the bank with a payroll of over 100 million dollars that season.

The Dolphins have not made the playoffs in two seasons and us making the playoffs 5 straight season's is something unheard of.

But in baseball you're always talking about the Yankees/Red Socks/Braves and others in the playoffs.

There's a big difference in competitiveness between the NFL and MLB

Back
Top Bottom