Heat's D. Jones elects for free agency | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Heat's D. Jones elects for free agency

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Damon Jones decided not to exercise the option year of his contract with the Miami Heat on Thursday and was to become a free agent.

Jones, the Heat's starting point guard this past season, had until midnight Thursday to invoke a $2.75 million option for 2005-06. He can negotiate with teams starting Friday, but cannot sign with the Heat or any other club until July 22.

He's one of several Miami players whose status for next season is still undecided. The Heat are expected to begin negotiating with Shaquille O'Neal on a longer-term deal Friday; O'Neal is owed $30.6 million for the final year of his existing contract with Miami.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/06/30/bc.bkn.heat.d.jones.ap/index.html

Interesting move. I can't imagine he'll get too much more than that in free agency.

phunwin said:
Interesting move. I can't imagine he'll get too much more than that in free agency.

This could be one that backfires, but maybe he thinks some team with a bunch of cap room may give him a better deal, or maybe the 4.9 mid level exception.

Hes just opting out to get a longer deal. Odds are he comes back to the heat at a 20% raise.

I don't see him getting much more on the market either. Considering he's already played for about 80% of the teams in the NBA already

Ferretsquig said:
Hes just opting out to get a longer deal. Odds are he comes back to the heat at a 20% raise.

That is exactly what's gonna happen.

He'll be back for 3-years at around $9 million, and it won't cut into the MLE. Word is, Haslem & DJ will both be back and neither will cut into the MLE. Miami is going to offer Haslem a 5-year, $32 million deal, which is the max they can offer him without cutting into the MLE. I highly doubt a team is dumb enough to offer him much more.

Back
Top Bottom