Help Me Settle This Argument | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help Me Settle This Argument

chuckcole said:
For instance, if a team has Edge and then drafts Ricky

This hypothetical actually helps support an argument for McNabb. The Saints had Ricky and drafted Deuce. They knew, Wanny didn't.

TeeMoney said:
You are wrong. Most experts and draftniks had some iteration of Williams, Benson, and Brown as the top 3 with only preference given to what abilities they felt were more important. Most felt that Williams was the fastest of the 3 and regardless of anyone's opinion, you can't deny the effect of a good presentation and great word-of-mouth.

You are greatly biasing your "facts". Both Brown and Williams ran a 4.43 while Benson ran a 4.62 (an average of various reports) at his pro-day

((Pro Day note, Next Level Scouting, Inc) - TEXAS (March 23rd) senior running back CEDRIC BENSON ran between 4.58 and 4.65 in the 40... some had as fast as 4.55, others as slow as 4.68... here's a breakdown of his 40's... he was whistled to stop, as he had a rolling start on his first attempt, slipped on his second attempt, so his times came on his 3rd and 4th attempts...)

The most interesting information regarding the 3 RB's is that Benson's short shuttle is much slower than both the Auburn RB's. That would hurt Benson far worse than a slow 40 time- not to mention the great list of off-field problems and baggage Benson carries with him.

Again, you use false information to deceive the reader- and inflate your bias.

All my facts were correct apart from Benson's which is really unkown because there was no official time. On average he ran about a 4.57 and NFL.com has him at 4.55.

I also just checked Brown and Caddy's results in the 40 and to my surprise Brandt has changed Ronnie's time from 4.48 to 4.43 but Caddy's times were 4.46 and 4.5.

Benson's short shuttle was disregarded by scouts because of the slippery surface. The only off field problems Benson has are actually him being at a party where there was marijuana and him being arrested but not charged for having possession of marijuana. The rest is hyped up the he is just like Ricky and might quit when he has already said he is not shy like Ricky when he came out and never will think of leaving the NFL like Ricky, he also shaved his dreadlocks to minimise the comparisons and to show people he didn't want to be like Ricky.

Everyone was on the same page before the combine.

Benson was the top rated back going into the combine there is no doubt about that, it was then Caddy and Brown neck and neck pretty much. Brown only changed that after his good combine performance.

Oh and i'm not bias towards Benson because I actually like Caddy the best out of the 3 backs. Brown just does not have the qualities I believe to be better than the other 2 at the pro level even though I think he will have a good career.

TeeMoney is very technical on the 40's, and I agree... I believe that Benson will prove to be better than both the Auburn backs. YARDS AFTER contact...It doesn't matter if you run a 4.28 40 if the 1st time you get bumped you fall down. If you know how to read blocks and brake tackles you can run 4.7s and gain 1000+ yrds in the NFL. You may get caught from behind but who cares if you have a good burst and they caught you 50yrds down the field? What was Emitt Smith's 40 time? 4.4? or closer to 4.6?

fins_rock said:
TeeMoney is very technical on the 40's, and I agree... I believe that Benson will prove to be better than both the Auburn backs. YARDS AFTER contact...It doesn't matter if you run a 4.28 40 if the 1st time you get bumped you fall down. If you know how to read blocks and brake tackles you can run 4.7s and gain 1000+ yrds in the NFL. You may get caught from behind but who cares if you have a good burst and they caught you 50yrds down the field? What was Emitt Smith's 40 time? 4.4? or closer to 4.6?

Well I have seen both Auburn RB's break tackles, and if reading blocks is your thing, then you should think Caddy would be the ebst, he has a rare knack for seeing things on the game field others dont. He is amazing at reading blocks and finding cutback lanes and creases.

Jaj said:
Cadillac will become the next great running back. He's a mix of Curtis Martin and L.T.

Brown will eventually be another Deuce McAllister type back, which isn't bad.

Depending on his team Benson will become a solid, 1300-1400 yard back every year.
My ideal situation is we trade the #2 pick to TB, pick up a second and a third (or similar compensation), and bring the Cadillac down to Miami at #5. We then draft a QB later (Frye?).

cadilac and ronnie should have a pretty good rivalry if they stay healthy. has there ever been a combo of players who went to the same school, played the same position and were both drafted in the 1st round?

LostInPatsLand said:
My ideal situation is we trade the #2 pick to TB, pick up a second and a third (or similar compensation), and bring the Cadillac down to Miami at #5. We then draft a QB later (Frye?).

That's what I'm saying if we can pick up Caddy at #5, plus the picks, I want McPherson in the second or third plus a WR.

Dolfan1000 said:
So my friend and I are arguing about the RBs in the draft- he prefers Cedric, and I prefer Ronnie. He claims that the only reason that I am pro-Ronnie is because the media is rating him #1, and I am being a follower. :shakeno: Ridiculous, I know. ANYWAY, he then tells me that this is why the draft is so great, nobody knows and there are always going to be busts and shocker picks, and in his opinion, Cedric has the most potential to be a star. Then he comes out with this line that really had me thinking, "People also thought Ricky would be better then McNabb!" (Keep in mind- he is an Eagles fan) I mean, not even considering the fact that Ricky is a schmo, I got to thinking whether you can compare a QB and a RB in terms of "who is better". Like, who is to say that if Ricky was not into the ganja that he wouldnt be having a greater impact on our team then McNabb?

I just want your opinion- can you really make such a comparison?

First of all, Mcnabb just had his best season after some pretty disappointing seasons, and Ricky just melted down last year after a couple of great seasons. So ask your stupid friend why he hasn't thrown that in your face before last year. McNabb may revert after this year, and more likely will revert when he loses TO in a coupe years. Jeese, you or I could throw 30 touchdowns with him on my team (not that I like the jerk).

As for the RB's, they are both great. Depends on what you want. But Ronnie looks like he will be very good at worst, and possibly a superstar (Faulk like hands on top of great running ability). That is just my opinion and it's hard to put down Benson.

But tell your friend to kiss my butt (and I am not a thorough wiper) for the Ricky and McKnob comparison.

Ricky vs Edgerin Ronnie vs Cadillac vs Cedric

yankeehillbilly said:
Instead of RW/McNabb, a better comparison would have been RW/E. James. Ricky was more the power RB much like Benson, while James was more the complete back like Brown. Which would have more impact on your team depends on what kind of offense you have. If you have a QB that can take advantage of a pass catching RB and an OC that likes to mix things up to keep the D guessing then Brown would probably have the most impact. If you have an Offense that runs right, runs left, short out to the WR, then probably Benson would be your best bet.

Good analysis, Ricky, and Edgerin are very good running backs maybe a tad better than very good. I would prefer Edgerin because of his escapability. Both can get the yards when a decent hole is there, but what about when McKinney misses a block(a common occurrence, just ask Ricky). That is where its better to have a Edgerin. The same argument can be used in analyzing the RBs in this year's draft. Cedric and Ronnie=Ricky and Caddillac=Edgerin. Who is the greatest running back in the last 10 years? Barry Sanders! What was his unique quality? The ability to make people miss then take it to the house, ala OJ in the seventies.

Ronnies workout numbers were exceptional, I think his numbers were the best among ALL the skills positions. But does that translate to success, quickness is of no use if you don't have the vision and the ability to read your blocks!

Back
Top Bottom