Help me Understand why DE Is such a big need. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Help me Understand why DE Is such a big need.

Chubby

SUPERFAN
Reaction score
I dont get it.. We are paying alot of money to Branch and Wake to be our starters... why is everyone wanting to waste a first round pic on a DE who will not be starting? If the plan is to draft Wakes eventual replacement then groom a 3-4th rounder. We need to hit hard in this draft this year if we want to compete and need G & OLB to fill 2 huge holes right now that we have no quality starters at.

Without some youth at that position we will ran out of gas at the end of games quite often, we have nothing to rotate in.

Wake is the only DE we have who is a better than above average pass rusher. He's also 35 years old when the season starts. William Hayes is 32 years old and on a one year deal. Andre Branch is in his "prime" but far from a blue chip player. He's a good third rotational DE, but not someone I want starting.

We need someone to take over the reigns from Wake and push Branch out of the starting line up. I'm also certain they'll use Hayes inside quite a bit as well.

[video=youtube;sLhVNtuwzQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLhVNtuwzQ0[/video]

Because we have a 35 year old and a big pile of meh at the position?

Blows my mind that people fail to realize our entire production within that position rests on a 35 year old superhuman.

Behind QB, it's arguably the most important position in football.

Blows my mind that people fail to realize our entire production within that position rests on a 35 year old superhuman.

Behind QB, it's arguably the most important position in football.
I agree, but our GM put all our money and into a 35 year old basket and an avg DE in Branch... We need to develop someone and bring in more depth yes... but we cant afford to waste a 1st rounder on it. I dont care how imporant DE is... Another ****ty year of guard LB play this year and it doenst matter who is at DE.

You dont waste a 1st rounder for rotation. We have 2 huge holes at G and OLB.

teams do.

Shaq Lawson (2016 - Bills)
Shane Rey (2015 - Broncos)
Bud Dupree (2015 - Steelers)
Dee Ford (2014 - Chiefs)
Marcus Smith (2014 - Eagles)

etc.

if you want top-end pass-rushing tools, you have to draft them high. they usually don't make it to day 2.

DE isn't just about pass rushing. The DE sets the edge in the run game so your OLBs are free to make tackles.
Our run defense is terrible. Everyone blames the linebackers, and much of that is deserved, but a big piece of it was the D line.
If you can't stop the run, you can't beat good teams or win in the playoffs.

You are right that we also have a huge need at Guard but the thinking is that it's easier to get a decent guard later in the draft. Everyone in the league covets DEs so they are harder to come by.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree, but our GM put all our money and into a 35 year old basket and an avg DE in Branch... We need to develop someone and bring in more depth yes... but we cant afford to waste a 1st rounder on it. I dont care how imporant DE is... Another ****ty year of guard LB play this year and it doenst matter who is at DE.
We aren't drafting for just next year. We are drafting for years down then road. We need a young impact player at DE. Maybe not in the first but in the top two rounds. Would be great to move Wake to a situational pass rusher and keep him fresh.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Any DE we draft will start. Branch will be depth and rotated in, because having fresh pass rushers is vital. Further, you don't just draft for the immediate year. You are drafting for the future. This is one of the best DE drafts I've ever seen. OG and OLB? Not so much.

It's weird that these basic things need to be explained repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom