Helping Wayne Huizenga | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Helping Wayne Huizenga

MexDolfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I'm trying to explore as much as possible, every single fact to avoid the wrong reasons for hiring somebody as our new HC, in order to help the Dolphins owner with some research.
My first 3 guys to keep out of this map are:
- Marty Schottenheimer: Great coach, excellent person, but unlucky with terrible performance at playoff. (5-13)
- Scott Sharpe: His training skills may look very positive, has experience with Dolphins, but he lacks of NFL domain.
- Dave Wannstedt: Just in case of amnesia, this guy was the previous coach who started a season, but his brain lacks of offensive talent.

Help me adding...

I'm trying to explore as much as possible, every single fact to avoid the wrong reasons for hiring somebody as our new HC, in order to help the Dolphins owner with some research.
My first 3 guys to keep out of this map are:
- Marty Schottenheimer: Great coach, excellent person, but unlucky with terrible performance at playoff. (5-13)
- Scott Sharpe: His training skills may look very positive, has experience with Dolphins, but he lacks of NFL domain.
- Dave Wannstedt: Just in case of amnesia, this guy was the previous coach who started a season, but his brain lacks of offensive talent.

Help me adding...

Chan Gailey: Should have had a longer run in Dallas in the late 90's. At 54 and with a sizeable gap since his last NFL head-coaching gig he is a very risky hire. Would be a great hire as an offensive coordinator at the NFL level because he's been one of the best of those.

Brian Schottenheimer: Too young and inexperienced to hand a team too right now. Another year's seasoning and he'll still be too young but he'll have a better shot at putting things together. His primary strength right now is his ability to put together innovative game plans and adapt on the fly, that's an offensive coordinator's role not a head coach.

That leaves Jim Mora and Mike Tomlin. And I don't know Tomlin well enough to know whether he has a real shot at succeeding at 34.

Schottenheimer to the Dolphins would hurt both the Jets and the Dolphins at this point in my opinion.

Chan Gailey: Should have had a longer run in Dallas in the late 90's. At 54 and with a sizeable gap since his last NFL head-coaching gig he is a very risky hire. Would be a great hire as an offensive coordinator at the NFL level because he's been one of the best of those.

Brian Schottenheimer: Too young and inexperienced to hand a team too right now. Another year's seasoning and he'll still be too young but he'll have a better shot at putting things together. His primary strength right now is his ability to put together innovative game plans and adapt on the fly, that's an offensive coordinator's role not a head coach.

Agree about Gailey... would be comfortable letting him be our OC but he wouldn't leave GT for that. Admittedly he got the shaft in Dallas, but I'm just not thrilled with him running the show here.

Disagree about B.Schottenheimer... at least in the sense that I'm willing to make the gamble that it would pay off. I don't know if Garrett is a candidate for our OC or not, but if he is and BSchott is willing to work with him there are advantages to that. Garrett knows the current roster better than BSchott does. They implement an offense together, Garrett calls the plays with BSchott outlining how he wants the opponent's defense attacked. If the Schotty era isn't working in 3 years time, you have a better idea if Garrett is HC material, and as has been previously quoted Parcells thinks he will be. Don't have the link, sorry.

Anyway, good thoughts and we shall see what unfolds.

i will throw out denny green for he is a good coach but he makes foolish blunders like marty shotenheimer. i dont think any of these coaches stand out to me.

i will throw out denny green for he is a good coach but he makes foolish blunders like marty shotenheimer. i dont think any of these coaches stand out to me.

That puts even more importance on having a top notch GM who's hands aren't tied. Hope we hear something on that front, soon, too.

Agree about Gailey... would be comfortable letting him be our OC but he wouldn't leave GT for that. Admittedly he got the shaft in Dallas, but I'm just not thrilled with him running the show here.

Disagree about B.Schottenheimer... at least in the sense that I'm willing to make the gamble that it would pay off. I don't know if Garrett is a candidate for our OC or not, but if he is and BSchott is willing to work with him there are advantages to that. Garrett knows the current roster better than BSchott does. They implement an offense together, Garrett calls the plays with BSchott outlining how he wants the opponent's defense attacked. If the Schotty era isn't working in 3 years time, you have a better idea if Garrett is HC material, and as has been previously quoted Parcells thinks he will be. Don't have the link, sorry.

Anyway, good thoughts and we shall see what unfolds.

The Dolphins should probably just bite the bullet and hire Capers, while making a under the table deal with Cowher to be a consultant this season. If Capers turns the Dolphins around then they stay with him and if not they hire Cowher next season.

It would cost Huizenga probably $20M to get this done, with a 3 year 13 million dollar contract for Capers and a one year 7 million dollar consulting fee to hold first dibs on Cowher.

They'd have to do the Cowher deal in secret if they wanted Capers to buy into the scenario and coach out next season like the job was all his.

Schottenheimer to the Dolphins would hurt both the Jets and the Dolphins at this point in my opinion.

That could very well be, but the thinking might be to cushion it by having Capers as the DC and a strong GM. He'd also have his dad to fall back on for advice. In fact, if Marty gets no other offers (should he be fired) Wayne might look into hiring him as a consultant should he be serious about Brian.

Having someone as young as Brian might lead to some mistakes, but you can put a system into place to hopefully limit those, and it's not like anyone will be expecting this team to reach the Super Bowl next year anyway.

The Dolphins should probably just bite the bullet and hire Capers, while making a under the table deal with Cowher to be a consultant this season. If Capers turns the Dolphins around then they stay with him and if not they hire Cowher next season.

It would cost Huizenga probably $20M to get this done, with a 3 year 13 million dollar contract for Capers and a one year 7 million dollar consulting fee to hold first dibs on Cowher.

They'd have to do the Cowher deal in secret if they wanted Capers to buy into the scenario and coach out next season like the job was all his.

Wow. Capers would probably freak. I know I wouldn't like it if they weren't up front with me about "hiring" my replacement and keeping him on ice for a year. :mad:

One way or the other, I think we're going to hear some news today fellas.

Back
Top Bottom