Henson/Rivers comparison | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Henson/Rivers comparison

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
I've bin into football for about 3/4 years now and have only really got into the college game over the last year or two (it's hard to keep up in England).

I have never seen Drew Henson throw a ball in my life, and am a big fan of Philip Rivers.

I was wondering how they compare.

Drew is big, much more mobile, great touch, good arm, pocket presence, has a nice fast ball. But he is inexperienced - only started 8 games in all at Michigan. But was clearly THE number one prospect heading into his senior year at all positions and was the hot favourite to be the Texans pick.

He's now working out in Bradenton with Larry Kennan who is no mug - he's one of the most astute QB coaches and offensive minds around. If Kennan says the kid looks nice then I'm inclined to think that, whilst there is a sense that he would say that as he's been employed to sell the client, ultimately he's not going to ruin his hard worked for reputation by saing the kid is great when he's not.

As for Rivers, he has the quick release, the leadership qualitiesm the 51 games of experience, limited mobility, but enough pocket awareness to get by, although I hate the way he holds the ball so low when he's moving the pocket. We all know about the mechanics, etc - throwing off one foot or the balls of his feet. But of the two he's more likely to provide you with a starter sooner. But equally, Henson has the tremendous upside. Both have points to prove.

It's not THAT hard to keep up in England - get your tapes from Pontel www.pontel.com. I have most of Henson's tapes somewhere....I'll dig them out for you if I can find them.

I agree, it isn't too hard. NASN is a really good. I have just never seen Henson play. I know people rave about him.

The one thing that I think everybudy looks at is stats of these players and it just don't mean a lot sometimes. My biggest fear about Rivers is was he a sytstem QB and it will take him just as long as henson to adjust to Mia's style of Off. I think he will get sacked a lot in our off. he needs better players around him to be great. And any one who thinks he is the next Marino, please pass over whatever it is you are smoking, I bet Marino can still through flat footed farther then Rivers steping into he throws, Rivers just does not have the physical talent of a superstar QB and you can't teach that.

As far as Henson goes he has all the Physical Talent in the world.
But the thing that will make him great is he is a leader, you will see him on he sidelines chewing a recivers **s for not giving his all to make a play, just like Marino use to do. His poise in the pocket is ecellent, he rarly gets sacked and throws very little int's.I just think he has take QB mentality, he the guy that tells the coach just give me the ball and I will make it happen.

Originally posted by dan the fin
The one thing that I think everybudy looks at is stats of these players and it just don't mean a lot sometimes. My biggest fear about Rivers is was he a sytstem QB and it will take him just as long as henson to adjust to Mia's style of Off. I think he will get sacked a lot in our off. he needs better players around him to be great. And any one who thinks he is the next Marino, please pass over whatever it is you are smoking, I bet Marino can still through flat footed farther then Rivers steping into he throws, Rivers just does not have the physical talent of a superstar QB and you can't teach that.

As far as Henson goes he has all the Physical Talent in the world.
But the thing that will make him great is he is a leader, you will see him on he sidelines chewing a recivers **s for not giving his all to make a play, just like Marino use to do. His poise in the pocket is ecellent, he rarly gets sacked and throws very little int's.I just think he has take QB mentality, he the guy that tells the coach just give me the ball and I will make it happen.

Marino could never really throw that far. When he was in his prime he could maybe throw 65 yards. When he was in those QB challenges he was thrilled if he surpassed 60 yards on a full run up and throw. I think his longest ever in those competitions was 62 yards. I've seen Rivers complete passes to wrs this past season that were 55-60 yrads in the air. So odds are that you are wrong that Marino flat-footed could out-throw Rivers. What's more disturbing is that you think how far someone can throw is of the utmost importance in analysing QB ability.

Coincidently what you posted above:
"But the thing that will make him great is he is a leader, you will see him on he sidelines chewing a recivers **s for not giving his all to make a play, just like Marino use to do. His poise in the pocket is ecellent, he rarly gets sacked and throws very little int's.I just think he has take QB mentality, he the guy that tells the coach just give me the ball and I will make it happen."

is exactly what I see in Rivers along with enough physical ability to make it happen. I'm not saying Henson doesn't have it. I haven't seen him play. I am saying that Rivers does.

Back
Top Bottom