Herald Calls it as Alex Smith, but with Tampa Deal in Works. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herald Calls it as Alex Smith, but with Tampa Deal in Works.

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Herald says Tom Condon believes that Miami will take Smith at 2 should he be there. But there is a deal in the works with Tampa for Tampa's 1, 2 and 3 this year to go down to 5 where we would still get a TB and extra picks as Tampa want Smith.

God I'm excited by this draft.

Woo-hoo!!!!

Here's the link to the Herald article, BTW...http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/11399551.htm

One thing I'd note, because it seemed a little unclear from Boomer's post, is that they're talking about going by the chart, but the Bucs may want to give up some picks next year instead of this year....

Miami Herald said:
Saban said two weeks ago he would ''absolutely'' go by that chart in deciding the value of a trade.

And according to most such charts, Tampa Bay would have to give up its first, second and third-round picks this year to move up three slots to Miami's spot.

The teams also might discuss exchanging draft picks next year should the Bucs balk at making the three-for-one deal now.

This would be an absolute dream, getting all those picks from Tampa. And living in Tampa, I'd love to gloat about it.

But if we cannot, I'd really be happy with the selection of Smith. There's just something about not having selected a QB in the 1st round as long as I can remember that gives it that sexy appeal. But I like what's been written about Smith as well.

I wonder what the brain type doctor thinks of Alex Smith.

It wouldn't be a bad move at all. Moving down to five will allow the team to pick up two extra first day picks. Plus, they will likely get the player they want with the second pick anyway. They can still get Ronnie Brown, or even Cadillac Williams, with the 5th pick.

I wonder who they would target with that newly found second round pick? Boomer, do you have any input? I've heard that two Georgia players are high on their list, and those players are Reggie Brown and Odell Thurman. I also think they would be watching to see how far Thomas Davis and Brodney Pool drop.

As for the third round pick, I think David Greene is the guy.

KB21 said:
I wonder who they would target with that newly found second round pick? Boomer, do you have any input? I've heard that two Georgia players are high on their list, and those players are Reggie Brown and Odell Thurman. I also think they would be watching to see how far Thomas Davis and Brodney Pool drop.

You think Davis is going to drop? Seems to me his stock is going up the draft board, not down. The Bengals are looking at him at #17 (or wherever they pick).

KB21 said:
It wouldn't be a bad move at all. Moving down to five will allow the team to pick up two extra first day picks. Plus, they will likely get the player they want with the second pick anyway. They can still get Ronnie Brown, or even Cadillac Williams, with the 5th pick.

As for the third round pick, I think David Greene is the guy.

I think they like Thomas Davis, Pollack and Brown. Pool is also a guy and I wouldn't rule out a linebacker, although I think Alfred Fincher would be a target were we to get a R2 pick. Chris Spencer?

Have we shown any interest in Spencer? I hope not. He's a lying *******.

Please keep this in this forum

Rumor has it that Tampa Bay has renewed interest in Travis Henry. Inside info: My tweety bird sez Travis Henry and #55 to Tampa for Ronde Barber and #71. Tampa Bay floated his availibility earlier in the offseason I believe. Bills would also give Tampa a cond 06. That would give Tampa 2 #2's in 2005...this deal would obviously need to go down before Sat. and it would allow TB to be in a position to trade #36 to move up to #2 but also remain in position to grab Mike Nugent

I like this deal better than any deal I've heard with regards to Henry. Even though the Bills wouldn't draft until rd 3, we would use an asset to acquire a solid CB opposite Nate Clements. It would have 2 effects: Hedge on FA after 2005 (Clements UFA, K. Thomas UFA, and McGee RFA) it would also give us 3 CBs who can match up better against the Patsies. Barber has 2 yrs remaining at $3.75 million (2005) and $3.5 million in 2006. Bills would need to lower the 2005 cap number

EDIT: Bills would then likely target DT Attiyah Ellison at #71

I rarely get inside info but we don't really have a forum like this at BZ :D

I heard that TB had interest in Henry. That would definitely point to a trade up. If they trade for Henry, they obviously won't pick one of the top 3 backs.

A trade down is looking more and more likely.

Clumpy said:
Please keep this in this forum

Rumor has it that Tampa Bay has renewed interest in Travis Henry. Inside info: My tweety bird sez Travis Henry and #55 to Tampa for Ronde Barber and #71. Tampa Bay floated his availibility earlier in the offseason I believe. Bills would also give Tampa a cond 06. That would give Tampa 2 #2's in 2005...this deal would obviously need to go down before Sat. and it would allow TB to be in a position to trade #36 to move up to #2 but also remain in position to grab Mike Nugent

I like this deal better than any deal I've heard with regards to Henry. Even though the Bills wouldn't draft until rd 3, we would use an asset to acquire a solid CB opposite Nate Clements. It would have 2 effects: Hedge on FA after 2005 (Clements UFA, K. Thomas UFA, and McGee RFA) it would also give us 3 CBs who can match up better against the Patsies. Barber has 2 yrs remaining at $3.75 million (2005) and $3.5 million in 2006. Bills would need to lower the 2005 cap number

EDIT: Bills would then likely target DT Attiyah Ellison at #71

I rarely get inside info but we don't really have a forum like this at BZ :D

Clumpy....St Petersburg times this morning says that Tampa are nearing a deal for Henry.

Boomer said:
Clumpy....St Petersburg times this morning says that Tampa are nearing a deal for Henry.

To be fair, the SP Times only says they've talked, unless you're referring to a different article than what I saw...

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/15/Bucs/Bucs_eye_unhappy_Bill.shtml

Sorry to be picayune, but IMHO, a trade for Henry makes a trade up more likely, and I don't want to see anyone get their hopes up.

phunwin said:
To be fair, the SP Times only says they've talked, unless you're referring to a different article than what I saw...

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/15/Bucs/Bucs_eye_unhappy_Bill.shtml

Sorry to be picayune, but IMHO, a trade for Henry makes a trade up more likely, and I don't want to see anyone get their hopes up.

No, probably the same one, I just get overexited!! :D

I tell you another player I think Miami has a keen eye on is Mark Clayton.

I'm anal retentive. It's my job. :D

The St. Paul Fish Wrapper...er, Pioneer Press, said the Vikes might take Clayton at 7. Just a week ago, he was being talked about at the end of round 1. Did I miss something? Did Clayton magically grow 4 inches or shave a quarter second off his 40 time in the last week?

Suffice to say, I like Clayton (LOVE the name, wouldn't it be great if we drafted him and he wore #83?), but I think he should be in the second half of round 1.

Back
Top Bottom