Herald Calls it as Alex Smith, but with Tampa Deal in Works. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herald Calls it as Alex Smith, but with Tampa Deal in Works.

Does anyone else get the feeling that, if the Dolphins do trade down, they may just take Antrell Rolle or Shawne Merriman?

I just see Nick Saban as the type that won't pass on a great defensive back or a stud defensive lineman regardless of need.

From ESPN Draft Rumor insider:

Apr. 15 - The Bucs are operating as though they have a chance to get Utah quarterback Alex Smith if he drops to the second pick, according to John Clayton. The debate is whether to give up a second-round choice to move up from No. 5 to No. 2. Smith is the quarterback the Bucs want after seeing him work out last week. The Dolphins are studying him to be the No. 2 pick if they don't trade out. The Dolphins want draft choices. They can get one in the Patrick Surtain deal with the Chiefs, but they should get a better draft choice from the Bucs.
The second aspect to the Bucs' move to possibly get Smith is what they are doing at running back. The Bucs contacted the Bills about acquiring halfback Travis Henry. The Bucs might be willing to come up with the right player – not a draft choice – that would entice the Bills to make a trade. If the Bucs could acquire Alex Smith and Henry in two separate trades, they certainly would be big winners in this draft.

:D

Clumpy said:
From ESPN Draft Rumor insider:

Apr. 15 - The Bucs are operating as though they have a chance to get Utah quarterback Alex Smith if he drops to the second pick, according to John Clayton. The debate is whether to give up a second-round choice to move up from No. 5 to No. 2. Smith is the quarterback the Bucs want after seeing him work out last week. The Dolphins are studying him to be the No. 2 pick if they don't trade out. The Dolphins want draft choices. They can get one in the Patrick Surtain deal with the Chiefs, but they should get a better draft choice from the Bucs.
The second aspect to the Bucs' move to possibly get Smith is what they are doing at running back. The Bucs contacted the Bills about acquiring halfback Travis Henry. The Bucs might be willing to come up with the right player – not a draft choice – that would entice the Bills to make a trade. If the Bucs could acquire Alex Smith and Henry in two separate trades, they certainly would be big winners in this draft.

There shouldn't be any question that Miami would get Tampa's 2nd round pick. The only question should be whether we get their 3rd or a 2nd round pick in 2006.

I think the question isn't if that's what it would cost, but rather if they'd be willing to pay it.

Boomer said:
Herald says Tom Condon believes that Miami will take Smith at 2 should he be there. But there is a deal in the works with Tampa for Tampa's 1, 2 and 3 this year to go down to 5 where we would still get a TB and extra picks as Tampa want Smith.

God I'm excited by this draft.
As much as I'd like to see us draft Alex Smith, there's not much room for debate in that trade with Tampa being exactly what we need this year. Gaining a high 2nd rounder, another 3rd rounder, and still having the 5th overall pick is a solid compensation. Hopfully it would allow us to keep Surtain, but if not we could even take a 2nd rounder NEXT year (A loaded draft some say) and pick up a 4th this year. If not, another 2nd rounder this year from KC would be good as well.

Boomer....

My prediction .....if we trade back to 5, is that we may in fact somehow, someway draft DE Marcus Spears from LSU. He and Saban have a special connection and I think Spears is going to be a great player. It might mean us picking him high, or trading back again from 5 overall, or trading up after our pick at 5, but I think saban will go after him. I can't wait for the Draft!

KB21 said:
Does anyone else get the feeling that, if the Dolphins do trade down, they may just take Antrell Rolle or Shawne Merriman?

I just see Nick Saban as the type that won't pass on a great defensive back or a stud defensive lineman regardless of need.

If we are moving Surtain, I'll be surprised if Saban Doesn't pick a DB with our 1st or 2nd pick.

Spears at #5 would be a major reach, but if you get #36 from TB, y'all could trade up to get him. At #5, I would grab a RB or Antrel Rolle

KB21 said:
It wouldn't be a bad move at all. Moving down to five will allow the team to pick up two extra first day picks. Plus, they will likely get the player they want with the second pick anyway. They can still get Ronnie Brown, or even Cadillac Williams, with the 5th pick.

I wonder who they would target with that newly found second round pick? Boomer, do you have any input? I've heard that two Georgia players are high on their list, and those players are Reggie Brown and Odell Thurman. I also think they would be watching to see how far Thomas Davis and Brodney Pool drop.

As for the third round pick, I think David Greene is the guy.

Greene might be a great choice. How about Matt Jones if he lasts to the 5th pick of round 2. Saban loves the guy.

Wow...the possibilities are fantastic. I can't say that I am NOT a fan of Alex Smith, but I will say that he has not shown me enough to say that he is worth the hype that I believe he's been receiving. I think if Matt Leinart had entered this draft, the two-horse race would have been between Leinart and Rodgers, and Smith would have been like the Phil Rivers of last year, except without the Senior Bowl last year Phil Rivers would have gone no higher than JP Losman ended up going. It is hard to say in that situation whether Smith would have gone ahead and played the Senior Bowl, or stay out of it like he ended up doing. But either way I look at him and I'm just seeing all of this hype, all of this rising for the wrong reasons. He's a genius, ok. So what. Make him a coach then. The best QBs aren't geniuses. If the man had average QB intelligence, I doubt he would even be a first rounder. To me, that means the market is grading his smarts too highly.

If Aaron Rodgers ends up sucking and Alex Smith ends up rocking, I'll eat my crow, but right now I see Rodgers as the better pro.

I'm hoping all these trades take place. I'm hoping that Miami gets a 2nd for Surtain, a 2nd and 3rd (or maybe 2nd next year) from the Bucs, and then use all those players to pick up all those little SEC tykes that Saban knows so well....from Corey Webster, to Ben Wilkerson, Ron Fields, and gosh I'd probably wet myself if Matt Jones' stock made a late drop and we were able to get him in the 2nd round (shudder).

Going from having 2 first day picks to having 5. That would be something. Would make me forget about Rodgers and Smith, that's for sure.

Greene might be a great choice. How about Matt Jones if he lasts to the 5th pick of round 2. Saban loves the guy.

He does indeed. SEC coaches voted the guy the most talented player in the SEC...which of course included Ronnie Brown and Caddie. But, knowing that, and probably having heard Saban gush about him before, I think Bill Belichick would swipe him at #32.

KB21 said:

Merriman, perhaps, but not Rolle. I just don't see how we have a huge need at CB. But I could definitely see us taking Merriman or your boy Derrick Johnson. ;)

ckparrothead said:
He does indeed. SEC coaches voted the guy the most talented player in the SEC...which of course included Ronnie Brown and Caddie. But, knowing that, and probably having heard Saban gush about him before, I think Bill Belichick would swipe him at #32.

I think New England has enough bona fide needs (i.e. CB, MLB) that they wouldn't go for Jones.

Of course, it seems silly to say that New England has plenty of needs and then say "but Miami could take him!" And in fact, it makes me wonder if that thinking won't cause Jones to slide. Yes, he's a marvelous athlete. But he's going to be a project, and in reality, he is a luxury item.

New England doesn't draft based on need.

I think if we got the 5, the 37 and the 45 for Surtain from the Chiefs, we would have a myriad of options. There is nothing stopping us shifting down again in 1 and getting more picks for example. At 5 we should still be able to take a back. Isuppose it depends what happens with 3 very important players - Antrell Rolle, Shawn Merriman and Troy Williamson. Tennessee are hot for Rolle, but who else is? Washington want a CB but rumour is that they fancy Carlos Rodgers over Rolle. Carolina? Merriman will get a lot of looks from Dallas and elsewhere. And Williamson - I'm sure San Diego don't want to miss out on a WR. I could envisage us shifting to 5 and then dealing with San Diego down further. We might miss out on a TB at that point, but we'd stockpile picks and have a shot at Merriman, Spears, Pollack, Davis, Clayton, Johnson, Barron, etc.

This is sort of fantasy talk, but Nick seems exceptionally shrewd. Plus if we WERE to get 2 2nds, there's nothing to stop usgetting back into 1 if there's a falling player or consolidating and taking an Eric Shelton or a Marion Barber.

It's exciting for sure.

phunwin said:
I'm anal retentive. It's my job. :D

The St. Paul Fish Wrapper...er, Pioneer Press, said the Vikes might take Clayton at 7. Just a week ago, he was being talked about at the end of round 1. Did I miss something? Did Clayton magically grow 4 inches or shave a quarter second off his 40 time in the last week?

Suffice to say, I like Clayton (LOVE the name, wouldn't it be great if we drafted him and he wore #83?), but I think he should be in the second half of round 1.

I can't see Troy Williamson, Braylon and Mike Williams all off the board by pick 6. That would be high for Clayton, although you want a WR with great hands, runs great routes and is the best WR after the catch, then Clayton is your man. Archetypal #2 WR in this draft. From the Minnesota papers and insider boards, they have Williamson as high if not higher than ANY WR in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom