Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice

Top 10: 74.6 inches
Bottom10: 75 inches

Not last 10 years, this is going back to 2010...
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, did you limit the inputs in any way like a minimum games/starts?

Interesting top/bottom are nearly the same. It would make sense.

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, did you limit the inputs in any way like a minimum games/starts?

Interesting top/bottom are nearly the same. It would make sense.
I limited the games to 10, kind of arbitrary and come to think of it, maybe I should've used pass attempts but I dont think it would've made a big difference either way...The reason Im saying that is I always code the linear model plot first, and in this case it was a flat line... I mean I rarely get that flat of a line... then and there I expected the results to be pretty random... Here's the LM plot again, I mean...

sizematters2.jpg

Sounds like he's having a good week, hopefully he lights it up and dissuades a team or two from wanting to trade up and compete with us for Tua.

Yeah outside of taking some snaps from under center he’s not showing you anything different. And the senior bowl with its vanilla defensive coverages and rules around blitzing etc isn’t really gonna give you does he have it between the ears answers either.

They got to get those answers on the whiteboard and in the meeting room.

Good points but I don’t think you will get the answers you seek anywhere other than a locker room and game time -field of play- 3rd and 8 - down a score in the 4th QTR.
Herbert will look good everywhere else.
But in that moment... for all the marbles... your game and literal balls on the table. Does he have “IT” ?
I know TUA does.
I sort of think Love does.
Herbert IDK.

Good points but I don’t think you will get the answers you seek anywhere other than a locker room and game time -field of play- 3rd and 8 - down a score in the 4th QTR.
Herbert will look good everywhere else.
But in that moment... for all the marbles... your game and literal balls on the table. Does he have “IT” ?
I know TUA does.
I sort of think Love does.
Herbert IDK.

I need to know how he thinks the position and the game first. Need to understand what’s in his head

He doesn’t answer those mental questions on tape

I need to know how he thinks the position and the game first. Need to understand what’s in his head

He doesn’t answer those mental questions on tape
I agree - my point being- I bet he answers them correctly on the board but it doesn’t translate to the field.
Unless- and this is a possibility- was he poorly coached at Oregon?
We make excuses for Love’s supporting cast.
Maybe Herbert lacked the supporting coaching. Cristobal is an OLine guy and it shows from some of their current and future prospects.
Arroyo- IDK. Maybe he was terrible.

I agree - my point being- I bet he answers them correctly on the board but it doesn’t translate to the field.
Unless- and this is a possibility- was he poorly coached at Oregon?
We make excuses for Love’s supporting cast.
Maybe Herbert lacked the supporting coaching. Cristobal is an OLine guy and it shows from some of their current and future prospects.
Arroyo- IDK. Maybe he was terrible.

Yeah no doubt. They have to figure out if it
was a coaching limitation or a qb driven one.

Needless to say we can’t get it wrong. 5 years riding on it cause teams don’t give up on physical tools like that til they exhaust all measures

I think the answer to this "debate" (Size matters! No it doesn't!) resides in the province of degree. Take the wing T for example.
Going way back the "QB" position was primarily another RB position -- and of course you wanted an athlete there that was 1st
and foremost good carrying the pig -- but also had the ability to throw to keep the D defending more field. If indeed you're
looking for a RB/QB type dude then height takes a backseat consideration relative to running the ball. Some believe this is
indeed the "modern" trend -- based on the college game where RPOs dominate and having an "athlete" at the QB position is
essential. So, in that application, as opposed to the "classic pocket QB," height is nowhere near as important (though I would
assert a kid 6-2 6-3 is still preferred over a kid 5-9 or 5-10 -- so the height consideration is still somewhat in play).

Going back to the key word -- degree -- the height spec for a QB depends to a degree on the application your system requires
for the position. Of course mobility and get-up-and-go are not exclusive short dude attributes -- kids like Lawrence can certainly
run effectively -- but the smaller dudes (with lower center of gravity) tend to have better quicks and can avoid heavy contact
a bit more effectively -- as a ball carrier.

Bottom line -- if you took a dude like Marino and scaled him down a tad to maybe 6-2, and gave him Michael Vick's athletics
you'd certainly have the "ultra modern" prototype for a certified ALL WORLD PRO QB. Barring some serious genetic engineering
that "spec" seems ridiculous -- though I do believe Mahomes comes pretty close to the "perfect ideal."

BNF

Last edited:
When I look at what’s being said about Herbert this year it reminds me an awful lot of what was being said about Lock last year. Everyone raves about the arm and the physical ability but people question the decision making, accuracy, maturity and “it” factor/clutch ability. It pushed Lock down to the middle of round 2, but when he finally got some meaningful playing time towards the end of the year he actually played some pretty great ball and was even a real difference maker in some of those wins for Denver. He can improve for sure, but he most certainly looked like he belonged in the pros.
Now I’m not saying that Lock and Herbert are the same player or will see the same outcome, but it does have me questioning some things about these senior year slides when the decision making and game results start to really get dissected, as well as what is or isn’t coachable st the next level. If we do take Herbert I believe he’ll be in a good situation to really study the game with Fitz and Rosen still on the roster, and I’ll be excited for the pick.

Another thing that gives me confidence in whoever we choose at QB this year is the current status of our QB room. Yes, we need a franchise signal caller, but having a veteran like Fitz who the offense will play for as well as a young Rosen who could push a new QB competitively in practice, we really are in a perfect situation for a young QB to sit, practice, and study. Whether that would allow for time to ensure an injury can fully heal beyond the worry of recurrence, as with Tua, or allow for coaching up on some pretty outstanding god-given ability, like with Herbert or Love (though I wouldn’t want to take Love as high as 5 or possibly even 18), it really is an ideal situation to develop.

Last edited:
Yeah no doubt. They have to figure out if it
was a coaching limitation or a qb driven one.

Needless to say we can’t get it wrong. 5 years riding on it cause teams don’t give up on physical tools like that til they exhaust all measures
It has to QB Rd1 -Pick 1 (be it 3,4,5) no matter what.
The pick will determine the fate of the organization moving forward.
End of day, an extra Rd1 pick shouldn’t deter them from their guy.
Just get your QB.

I think Ross will be picking next dolphins qb. Herbert might be all right only time will tell. He is fast big and can take hit in nfl.

Check the stats.

Last year, sarkesian's offense called for more short passes, the year before Tua was chucking the ball.

Trying to pidgeon-hole him as a dink and dunk QB is just misinformation.
Everybody knows it about medical and if Tua can hold up in nfl. Tua may last 5 to 7 yr in nfl.

It has to QB Rd1 -Pick 1 (be it 3,4,5) no matter what.
The pick will determine the fate of the organization moving forward.
End of day, an extra Rd1 pick shouldn’t deter them from their guy.
Just get your QB.

Ideal world qb and left tackle top 2 picks. Pick 18 for the left tackle if I can keep it and still get my qb. Worst case I can roll with Jesse Davis as a serviceable problems vs speed off the edge right tackle option for a year.

If I can get my qb and a left tackle on day 1 imo it’s mission accomplished

Everybody knows it about medical and if Tua can hold up in nfl. Tua may last 5 to 7 yr in nfl.

Just like Tannehill was done? A good rule of thumb is to take what you say about a QB and apply the opposite. Chances are you’ll be right.

Back
Top Bottom