Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice

With the apparent improvement from Herbert, since leaving Oregon; its beginning to look like he was held back at the college level, by his coaches. Herbert's best may be in front of him, with pro coaching?

I doubt they were holding him back.
Is it possible that they could have asked him to do more and taught better? Sure!
But it's also likely they only could give him so much that he could handle.
One thing i've heard several times is he's not consistent on anticipation throws.
Which you might get away with a little at the colligiate level but will doom you at the NFL level.
You can't "wait" for your man to be open before making the throw.
You absolutely have to anticipate and trust with that big arm of yours it will get there on time.

D.Brees is absolutely phenomenonal in that regard.

Hebert with all his arm talent should be taking way more chances than he does.

Nice to hear that he is having success. However, I don't think there is anything that he could do in this short week of practice that would bump him ahead of Tua in my opinion.

Nice to hear that he is having success. However, I don't think there is anything that he could do in this short week of practice that would bump him ahead of Tua in my opinion.
no but it might keep a couple of teams from thinking they have to jump in front of us for Tua. Chargers for example could feel they can stay at 6 and take Herbert instead of spending picks to move up for tua

Biadasz regressed this year and is limited athletically, not going to be able to do much more than operate within the phone booth. Not sure he was ever in the #18 discussion IMO. Humphrey is young and super talented so his ceiling was very high.

I recall more than a few mocks and convos that had our 1st round:

1a: Tua

1b: Biadasz

1c: Gross-Matos

With accompanying teeth gnashing about centers not going that high.

Humphreys is the flavor of the month. I watched the Ok/Baylor games and the NT for Baylor was right over Humprhey giving him holy hell.

He would get mollywopped worse in the NFL....

Kushenberry is relatively new to the position, never really called out blocking assignments or identified defensive markers. He is having a great week and displaying his potential. But is still very raw, his hand technique is inconsistent, inst great climbing to the 2nd level, and isnt really the best drive blocker at this time though he does have sufficient strength so it feels more like a technique thing. And there is a lot to learn for the position in the NFL. Potential wise he is late 1st round which IMO between 25-45 is kind of the sweet spot for the best Centers in a draft.

I find it hard to believe that a 1st team All SEC, second team All America, bearer of the "18" jersey, best lineman on a line that protected a QB that had one of the greatest seasons in college football history didn't call out blocking assignments...or is Joe Burrow just that dominant?

You mean other than the fact that he isn't made of glass?

I admit, a healthy Tua may be a better PROSPECT, but what good is a top 10 QB if he's on IR more than available? He is too small for my liking, even before the hip.

Before you hit me with the Brees/Wilson examples, if you have to go back nearly 2 decades to make a point, they are outliers, not the norm.

They were just talking about the WR's in this class and they said as many as 20 WR's could be taken in the first 3 rounds

I admit, a healthy Tua may be a better PROSPECT, but what good is a top 10 QB if he's on IR more than available? He is too small for my liking, even before the hip.

Before you hit me with the Brees/Wilson examples, if you have to go back nearly 2 decades to make a point, they are outliers, not the norm.
Great point about smallish QB's. The facts are that over the history of the NFL smaller QB's struggle for lots of reasons. However, on the positive side I think the modern NFL has schemes that are more friendly to smaller QB's and guys that used to not be able to make it can now have more success.

Great point about smallish QB's. The facts are that over the history of the NFL smaller QB's struggle for lots of reasons. However, on the positive side I think the modern NFL has schemes that are more friendly to smaller QB's and guys that used to not be able to make it can now have more success.
That may be true to some extent. Sometimes it means a QB has to learn how to use "lanes" (Brees), but generally the smaller guys like Murray, or even Wilson, for example, rely on mobility and scrambling.

I know nobody wants Tua doing that.

That may be true to some extent. Sometimes it means a QB has to learn how to use "lanes" (Brees), but generally the smaller guys like Murray, or even Wilson, for example, rely on mobility and scrambling.

I know nobody wants Tua doing that.
Right. And while I like a lot of things about Tua, that right there is my concern. He is not going to move around like Wilson. So if he has to play in more of a Brees mode that is going to force him to make reads ultra fast he may well be able to do it, but with our OL he wont get as much time as Brees does.
I like Tua so much that I can't be disappointed if we roll the dice on him early, but if I'm honest I'd rather not.

Last edited:

If I recall, he never missed a game due to injury until this year. In fact, he played through injuries like a broken finger and sprained knee that would have side-lined many. Without the hip, we would probably be talking about how tough he is(and judging his recovery so far, we may want to anyway).

If I recall, he never missed a game due to injury until this year. In fact, he played through injuries like a broken finger and sprained knee that would have side-lined many. Without the hip, we would probably be talking about how tough he is(and judging his recovery so far, we may want to anyway).
I thought the finger happened in spring practice, but broken fingers happen. I wouldn't judge based on that.

You forgot to mention the 2 ankle surgeries.

I’ve said it before, and I will continue to say it. Herbert will go top 10. As a prospect he is more talented than plenty of guys who have been drafted early. Look at Daniel Jones and Josh Allen in the past 2 drafts. Herbert is a 4 year starter with more success than both of them. He has a ton of arm talent. There is no reason he could not be successful in the NFL on the right team with the right coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom