Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herbert Shines In Front Of Dolphins Brass First Senior Bowl Practice

I guess all those dinks that went for lots of YAC were an illusion on my TV and/or monitor!

I also believe in truth in advertising -- and IMO a LOT of folks around here have
incredibly inflated opinions on Tua. Again, I like the kid, and if we grab him @5
I'll be "OK" with the choice but NOT in love with it. IMO he's damaged goods
until proven otherwise and I don't see the "value" in that for such a premium pick.

Speaking of truth -- the stats you picked show him at 6-1. Is that a "fact?"

Maybe, I didnt measure him.

I get it, he is injured. I wont pretend that doesnt concern me, it does.

But the point I was refuting wasnt the existence of stat boosting via YAC, but that Tua is simply a dink and dunk passer. He is not.

That said, I think I derailed this thread enough, we can discuss it in the tua-superthread if ya want.

I guess all those dinks that went for lots of YAC were an illusion on my TV and/or monitor!

I also believe in truth in advertising -- and IMO a LOT of folks around here have
incredibly inflated opinions on Tua. Again, I like the kid, and if we grab him @5
I'll be "OK" with the choice but NOT in love with it. IMO he's damaged goods
until proven otherwise and I don't see the "value" in that for such a premium pick.

Speaking of truth -- the stats you picked show him at 6-1. Is that a "fact?"
No denying Alabama had a an incredible group of WRs.

What I was impressed the most with Tua and how he contributed to the YAC was his consistency in "perfect" ball placement. Rarely did I see a receiver have to reach down, reach up, turn his body or dive resulting in the receiver losing momentum in order to catch the ball. Without that pinpoint accuracy his receivers wouldn't have had nearly as much RAC.

Why is that the question? I have never seen that mentioned. Or is this another Josh Rosen situation where because he's a laid back guy who doesn't shout and jump around that his 'desire' is questioned?

The common knocks on Herbert are his inconsistency and inability to handle pressure

Quite a few reports out of Oregon over the last couple of years about how he prefers the academic environment at Oregon. He also did return for his senior year which is somewhat unusual and helped these rumors/comments to gain some additional traction.

Whether these reports are accurate, well that is the question is it not?

Maybe, I didnt measure him.

I get it, he is injured. I wont pretend that doesnt concern me, it does.

But the point I was refuting wasnt the existence of stat boosting via YAC, but that Tua is simply a dink and dunk passer. He is not.

That said, I think I derailed this thread enough, we can discuss it in the tua-superthread if ya want.

When Tua was officially measured last year, he measured in at 6 feet and 1/4 inch.

At the end of the day it's a great thing that both Love and Herbert, look good during this draft process and start elevating the boards, that's more options for other teams that may try to jump us to get Tua, because Tua is the target, you would be crazy to think we will shift away from him, no matter how the other QBs look, unless something medically goes wrong.

Sometimes these all-star bowl games showcase just how good someone really is ... such as Jason Taylor. But other times it more benefits those who excel in less complex environments. The defenses are piecemeal and by necessity cannot play complex schemes or disguise their coverages very well. In the NFL, the coverages will be vicious and disguised far better than any at the collegiate level. Defenders are all quick guys and receivers are only open for a sliver of time and not by much, so QB's need to be precise in their delivery, fast in their timing of reading and reacting, consistent in their accuracy, and solid to good in their decision making. Those things rarely surface in these all star game environments. As a result, most scouts are more interested in the workouts and interviews than they are about the actual game that is played.

Not saying Herbert excels in a less complex environment .... just saying let's not jump to any conclusions. He's always had A+ physical tools and good production ... but he didn't make the big-time leap we were all hoping for this year ... and that is concerning. Gaudy numbers at a Pac# school have misled GM's before.

Daniel Jones excelled last year in the senior bowl i believe, I just think if we pick Herbert we are going to hear nonstop complaining by the majority of the fanbase.. The guy is a good but not great NFL player imo and we all know that isn't good enough around here..

I would compare Herbert to Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones in all honesty, Could be a 25 td + but won't carry a team to the win another tannehill.. I wouldn't mind picking him if i didn't think Tua and Burrow have the potential to be great but i just know if we were to pick Herbert its going to be super annoying around this forum for the next 4 years.

I honestly didn’t see him play before that draft.

He was a one of the best QBs coming out. Great season at Wisconsin...doing pretty much what he's doing now.

I understand...honestly I missed him...apparently not the only one as he slipped down the draft.
You think you missed out but John Elway overruled the Broncos draft room and refuses to draft him because his height was an "issue". Seems that was the big reason why back then

You think you missed out but John Elway overruled the Broncos draft room and refuses to draft him because his height was an "issue". Seems that was the big reason why back then
Yep, but those days are over. Mayfield and Murry were the last two number one picks. With the way the game has evolved, height isn't considered a deal breaker like it once was. That's why all of those on here using height as a way to bash Tua are just showing their ignorance. They love trying to nitpick everything about him because they don't like him and or they don't want Miami to draft him, but really the only question about Tua as a prospect is the injury.

Yep, but those days are over. Mayfield and Murry were the last two number one picks. With the way the game has evolved, height isn't considered a deal breaker like it once was. That's why all of those on here using height as a way to bash Tua are just showing their ignorance. They love trying to nitpick everything about him because they don't like him and or they don't want Miami to draft him, but really the only question about Tua as a prospect is the injury.
What, exactly, have Mayfield or Murray won?

Just asking, because you are calling ppl "ignorant", then citing examples of two guys that haven't done jack. Haven't even had a winning season.

What, exactly, have Mayfield or Murray won?

Just asking, because you are calling ppl "ignorant", then citing examples of two guys that haven't done jack. Haven't even had a winning season.
How about Drew Brees then? Russel Wilson?

No denying Alabama had a an incredible group of WRs.

What I was impressed the most with Tua and how he contributed to the YAC was his consistency in "perfect" ball placement. Rarely did I see a receiver have to reach down, reach up, turn his body or dive resulting in the receiver losing momentum in order to catch the ball. Without that pinpoint accuracy his receivers wouldn't have had nearly as much RAC.

I find that line ("perfect ball placement") a tad overrated re Tua.... As far as little dump offs etc. those are too easy to count.
But I did notice on a number of quick slats etc. the ball was not always "perfect" -- throwing slightly behind being the most common.
But overall -- yeah the kid has good accuracy but he wasn't throwing into tight windows for the most part and certainly wasn't
throwing darts deep downfield where VELOCITY + ACCURACY are important.

Bottom line I just see a player (QB) that's more limited than his most fervent supporters admit. I also question the kids quickness
in relation to escapability -- as evidenced by his 2 injuries resulting in surgery. The kid looks a little heavy footed to me and
I doubt his 40 time would be anything notable. So I'm not sold on his core athleticism -- thus IMO he needs an excellent
surrounding cast and a system that maximizes his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses to be efficient at the PRO level.
To me that specification sounds like a lot of QB prospects -- including a kid like Rosen.

I guess I just don't see the "great savior" some do. And I think the hype around here is a tad nauseating -- like trading 3 or 4 #1s
to move up and select this kid. That's beyond ridiculous IMO.

Back
Top Bottom