Herd w/Colin Cowherd doesn't think Tua will be good because he is small with no wiggle | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herd w/Colin Cowherd doesn't think Tua will be good because he is small with no wiggle

I wouldn’t say tua has Wilson’s arm. But again Wilson’s arm has developed in the pros. Like bradys did.

brees is the one whose arm is starting to show red flags.

i think we are gonna find tuas arm is fine. Conceptually they aren’t gonna ask him to throw 18 yard opposite hash come backs etc.

I also think tua throws better on the run than given credit for.

Tua probably will probably be better throwing on the run in the NFL especially if he has improved his arm strength like some anonymous wr have claimed.

Wilson didn't come into the NFL as the finished product you see today.

He has improved his arm strength, and become a top pocket passer, with an added innate ability to get out of trouble, and make a play.

He wasn't the focal point of the offense in his early years. A monster run game, and elite defense gave him time to develop, while still winning a lot of games.

Tua is a qb. He is very smart, well liked by his teammates , a leader. How many times have you seen a big armed qb overthrow a speedy wideout by 5 yds on a wide open td. I would rather have a qb know how to hit that guy in stride with a 50 yd throw. I would rather have a qb lead my receiver ,than drill him in the back shoulder. Make the right decision in the heat of the moment and allow us to win games. Big armed qbs are like sports cars , they look great, you love the power ,they are fun , however , they do not always fit your needs or get the job done

Here's the top 5 of QBs with the most average intended air yards...

Drew Lock
Mitchell Trubisky
Kirk Cousins
Joe Flacco
Matthew Stafford

What does that mean to you?

What it means to me is that the NFL these days is about ball placement and YAC... and OCs. Cannons used to rule back in the days because QBs were constantly dealing with restricted windows... Nowadays WRs get alot more separation and you'd much rather have a QB thats capable of playing with trajectory in order to hit these guys in stride than the guy who can get it there the fastest.

Arm strenght has become more of a filter than anything, if you've got an average NFL arm, there are PLENTY of ways you can make up for it else where...

I remember the bullseye board drill, plenty of well respected qbs use to whiff on that drill, it's no surprise Marino killed it. Dan is the greatest passer the NFL has ever seen.
What was amazing is how guys didn’t just miss the target, they missed the board completely - like rolling a gutter ball or throwing your dart into the Sheetrock outside the limits of the board. IIRC, most didn’t even hit the target at 40 yards at all, and some couldn’t even hit the 10 yarder. As you say, whiffs. I’ll never forget Dan just drilling each one - as the target moved horizontally - with total authority - like an MLB batter that’s so in the zone the ball looks like a beach ball to them. Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Collective “whoopooooaaaaa” from the rest of the QBs.

I do not listen to much sports radio, however today I had a chance. I live in NY and they were talking about Tua being a generational talent at qb. He may or may not be. Lawrence was mentioned in the same breath. However we should be very excited,listen Fitz was playing very good football, we can make the playoffs with Fitz as our qb this yr. Flo would look great for the turn around and he could start Tua next yr with a yr of watching Fitz. Tuas injury etc as an excuse. The team loves Fitz so it would be the easy way. However I believe they see how great Tua can be for them to take this risk at this point in the season, going up against a tough Ram team . I could be wrong My 2 cents

Leadership, accuracy, anticipation throws, courage, decent mobility

****ing won a championship as a true freshman(that TD throw to Ridley? ridiculous)

but no wiggle? **** off!

"No velocity."

ZNiIMM.gif

Thank goodness we have smarter scouts than some of the posters on here.
It’s as if you’ve never thrown a football in your life...

He told you what his evidence was...
Evidence? Too short to see over the line? The best 32 QB's...28 were blah, blah, blah?

He leaves out a lot. How many QB's were smaller than 6 ft and were given a chance to start?

Doug Flutie...moderate success in Buffalo.

Joe Theisman...decent career in DC.

These are two more 6 footers that he chose to leave out. 6 ft QBs aren't recruited to big time programs and, as a result, aren't drafted in the NFL in numbers high enough to get a decent sampling. I'm willing to bet that there are more 6'5 unsuccessful NFL QB's than there are unsuccessful 6ft NFL QB's.

Evidence? Too short to see over the line? The best 32 QB's...28 were blah, blah, blah?

He leaves out a lot. How many QB's were smaller than 6 ft and were given a chance to start?

Doug Flutie...moderate success in Buffalo.

Joe Theisman...decent career in DC.

These are two more 6 footers that he chose to leave out. 6 ft QBs aren't recruited to big time programs and, as a result, aren't drafted in the NFL in numbers high enough to get a decent sampling. I'm willing to bet that there are more 6'5 unsuccessful NFL QB's than there are unsuccessful 6ft NFL QB's.
There is a "prototype" size for a QB for a reason. That doesn't mean a guy has to be 6'4" 240 lbs to be successful, but all other things being equal, it is beneficial.

What do you believe the reason is that major programs recruit bigger guys, as a rule? You think they are all just morons? Is there some "height shaming" I haven't heard about?

Look, I don't believe that Tua's stature, in and of itself, is the determining factor in his success, but your conclusions go against a very large majority of the football world.

I would also point out that the rule changes have made it easier for a smaller player to survive the punishment. Prior to the emphasis on protecting QBs, and to some extent how DB aren't allowed contact anymore, a QB was driven into the ground multiple times per game, even when the got rid of the ball. A bigger player, on average, can better ansorb that punishment. That's nothing to do with "toughness", just physics.

Back
Top Bottom