Here Is The Miami Dolphins’ Plan For Ryan Tannehill In Preseason Opener | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here Is The Miami Dolphins’ Plan For Ryan Tannehill In Preseason Opener

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Tannehill, 30, hasn’t played an NFL football game since Dec. 11, 2016. That means it has been 606 days (one year, seven months and 29 days) since Tannehill last played in a game.

He missed the final month of the 2016 season with an ACL injury suffered against the Arizona Cardinals. And after opting to rehabilitate the ligament rather than have surgery, Tannehill was injured again on Aug. 3 of 2017 during a training camp practice. He missed the entire 2017 season.

But Tannehill has told reporters multiple times he’s feeling great now that he’s had the surgery to correct the problem and has gone through a rigorous rehab process post-surgery. He has been practicing every day since the Dolphins opened their current training camp. The team has had 11 practices.

Tannehill, who is not expected to play more than one quarter and probably less, may very well be forced to change his lead slide leg or go head first this season

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/s...ticle216360170.html?__twitter_impression=true

He should just go head first. The NFL recently reaffirmed that quarterbacks who dive head first have given themselves up and should be protected.

That sliding with the other leg is not a good idea. The muscle memory could lead to some awkward looking stuff. Think about trying to slide as a baseball player with your other leg.

It’s just not natural. Go head first. Hell take a knee if they will let you. Ha ha

Just don’t get hit on it.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take. Would rather tear my ACL a hundred times than end up punch drunk in my late 30s

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...reat-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

“A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up,” the league’s online rules say. “Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Obviously there's a bit of judgment in there. What about quarterbacks diving for the end zone? I'm sure they will only be considered 'giving themselves up' when playing against New England...

He needs to slide on his rear but if the knees bent in the air one wrong angle hit and you could have problems.

Really we just got to hope that the football gods are done with us.

He’s not gonna play soft/timid football I know that much.

As a defensive player, what the hell is giving yourself up if a QB is going into a give up posture just before they cross the damn sticks? That is a very slippery slope.

He needs to slide on his rear but if the knees bent in the air one wrong angle hit and you could have problems.

Really we just got to hope that the football gods are done with us.

He’s not gonna play soft/timid football I know that much.

Agree, but we've all seen injuries with cleats caught in the turf and no contact by D.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...reat-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

“A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up,” the league’s online rules say. “Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Obviously there's a bit of judgment in there. What about quarterbacks diving for the end zone? I'm sure they will only be considered 'giving themselves up' when playing against New England...
I get the rule, but the game moves at 1000 mph. A defender in the air is going to struggle to change direction because a QB decided to slide last second (ie Flacco last year vs Kiko). Defensive players have been complaining about this stuff for years.

I'd make a business decision as a QB when sliding, and that decision is to protect my noggin.

Just my two cents here but Tannehill needs to go with natural motion to slide or else he will get hurt. If you slide trying not to get hurt he's gonna really get hurt without being touch. He's been playing his whole life and you can't just change that at 30 yo. Keep on mind he did not get hurt sliding or not sliding. It was just a fluke. Any player that plays trying not to get hurt will get hurt faster that way.

Back
Top Bottom