Here’s A Question: | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here’s A Question:

I think you can effectively tank just by not getting a legit QB. That being said, I also think we can add talent to the roster and still not be very good. QB affects the success more than anyone. We can grab someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tyrod or RG3 (inconsistent) and still fill out the roster with young FA's and draft picks. Get the trenches fortified and have the team ready (readier) to roll once we draft the QB. That's when you can afford to move up and give up future picks. Get that running game working so you are not relying on your rookie QB to bail you out year 1 and 2.

It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to purge ALL the talent and then draft a QB next year and then have a crap team around a rookie QB. You waste his prime rookie contract years while you build a team? Get him killed by a crap OL? Make him sling 50 times a game because the defense cannot get off the field? NO.

You can still get rid of the stupid contracts and aging players.

Sign some building blocks in FA that are young and won't break the bank. We are going to end up with 60-80 mil in cap space so get a head start. Time to identify some up and coming FA talent FOR ONCE.
This is why I think it’s dumb to trade all of our best young players. If you want to tank keep said players and start Falk or Fales.

It's hard to coach to lose unless you're Gase. Pro athletes especially in the short career of an NFL athlete aren't going to play to lose. Wtf is Flores gonna say in the walkthrough? Don't play too hard and let's not win?

People that call for heads to roll in a rebuilding season are the one's that don't pay attention to the offseason. They watch the regular season games and are the "win now" crowd. They don't have any vision of the future and are going to be expecting a winning season from a new coaching staff, new QB (probably not the QB of the future), and a young team. The screams will come, but we should just ignore them and let them have their two cents.

I don't understand why everyone thinks we are going to be terrible. Gase called absolutely terrible plays, right? Our starting QB wasn't healthy the last 3 years.... and now all of a sudden we are going to be tanking vying for the #1 pick? Welcome to loserheaven.com
If you don't understand why we will be terrible, you aren't paying attention.

1. We don't have a quality QB.

Whatever you thought of Cutler, and RT, they were both vastly better than anything we are likely to see next season, particularly when you factor in a completely different offensive scheme.

2. Our D-line is in shambles. We are probably not resigning Wake, or Quinn. Even if we hit on 2 guys in the draft, still are about 3-4 guys short.

3. Whether X is traded, or not, there is a gaping hole at CB, made worse by the lack of any consistent pass rush.

4. The WR position, while speedy, lacks physicality. This issue affects effectiveness in red zone situations.

I could go on, but those are the major concerns.

Our kicker, and punter are good though.

We have a new coach. We have no real option at QB. Our O is awful, D isn’t any better.

We know all this. All too well.

And we are tanking. The team says this, the beat reporters say this. Frankly, I doubt we have any real choice.

So....come next season, considering all of the above, how long before everybody starts screaming for heads to roll?

Or, since we have been forewarned, is everybody going to shrug when we are (once again) terrible and say, “Well, we knew it was coming. What did we expect?”

Here's an old shoe

upload_2019-2-8_9-29-38.jpeg

I think you can effectively tank just by not getting a legit QB. That being said, I also think we can add talent to the roster and still not be very good. QB affects the success more than anyone. We can grab someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick/Tyrod or RG3 (inconsistent) and still fill out the roster with young FA's and draft picks. Get the trenches fortified and have the team ready (readier) to roll once we draft the QB. That's when you can afford to move up and give up future picks. Get that running game working so you are not relying on your rookie QB to bail you out year 1 and 2.

It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to purge ALL the talent and then draft a QB next year and then have a crap team around a rookie QB. You waste his prime rookie contract years while you build a team? Get him killed by a crap OL? Make him sling 50 times a game because the defense cannot get off the field? NO.

You can still get rid of the stupid contracts and aging players.

Sign some building blocks in FA that are young and won't break the bank. We are going to end up with 60-80 mil in cap space so get a head start. Time to identify some up and coming FA talent FOR ONCE.

it will be hard for me to watch any of those QB's...ugh!
Roll with Faulk

This is why I think it’s dumb to trade all of our best young players. If you want to tank keep said players and start Falk or Fales.
What "best young players" are you referring to? If you are talking about X, I think $ plays an equally important factor as anything else. I'm not in favor of paying huge $ to a guy with one good season marked with lost time due to injury.

As far as I know, that's the only player that has been seriously discussed as a trade possibility.

If you don't understand why we will be terrible, you aren't paying attention.

1. We don't have a quality QB.

Whatever you thought of Cutler, and RT, they were both vastly better than anything we are likely to see next season, particularly when you factor in a completely different offensive scheme.

2. Our D-line is in shambles. We are probably not resigning Wake, or Quinn. Even if we hit on 2 guys in the draft, still are about 3-4 guys short.

3. Whether X is traded, or not, there is a gaping hole at CB, made worse by the lack of any consistent pass rush.

4. The WR position, while speedy, lacks physicality. This issue affects effectiveness in red zone situations.

I could go on, but those are the major concerns.

Our kicker, and punter are good though.

How are those things different than the past 10 years? Our QB has sucked for a while, defensive line was crap this past season, still won 7 games.

How are those things different than the past 10 years?
Who said it was different? It was a response as to why we will not be a good team next season.

By the way, we have been floundering for most of this century.

If ppl are satisfied with 8-9 wins, with zero chance of making deep playoff runs then the status quo is acceptable.

I aspire to more, and if that means taking lumps for a year, or two, that's the price you pay for past incompetence.

How are those things different than the past 10 years? Our QB has sucked for a while, defensive line was crap this past season, still won 7 games.

Some people don't appreciate that. Bad OL, bad Dl, one real CB, poor QB, many receivers out for multiple games, abysmal OC/DC. Still won four of 13 games. Doesn't sound like much, but a 'tank' can't have a much worse roster than the last 8 games. If Flores and staff are just average, losses will be harder to get. No, I'm not arguing the '19 Dolphins will be 12-4, but I'm not convinced they'll be 2-14.

Tanking is a careful what you wish for situation.

If you tear the team to pieces, you may end up in a Cleveland Browns situation. How many years of terrible have their fans lived through? Or the creamsicle Tampa Bucs?

So are you going to waste your time and watch once the season starts?

Typical fair weather fan response. Sounds like the true words a diehard fan never said.

The fact that you're calling it a waste of time pretty much speaks for itself.

What "best young players" are you referring to? If you are talking about X, I think $ plays an equally important factor as anything else. I'm not in favor of paying huge $ to a guy with one good season marked with lost time due to injury.

As far as I know, that's the only player that has been seriously discussed as a trade possibility.
People are talking about Grant being traded for a late pick, Stills. IDK. When Indy sucked for Luck they didn’t get rid of their best players. They simply played a horrific QB. That’s all we need to do.

Tanking is a careful what you wish for situation.

If you tear the team to pieces, you may end up in a Cleveland Browns situation. How many years of terrible have their fans lived through? Or the creamsicle Tampa Bucs?

The Browns situation is kind of unique. It’s hard work to have that many bad drafts picking in the top 5.

Back
Top Bottom