Here's an interesting quote for those who want Tua to play hero ball. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's an interesting quote for those who want Tua to play hero ball.

There have been many first downs left on the field by Tua not running 4 yards and sliding down, which is the point about having Tua run the ball when things break down. It really is not a hard concept to grasp.

There have been many first downs left on the field by Tua not running 4 yards and sliding down, which is the point about having Tua run the ball when things break down. It really is not a hard concept to grasp.
The problem here is that you're basing this on anecdotal evidence, and I'm not saying you specifically, this is pretty much everyone about this.

This is purely based on watching games, and after a failed passing play, noting that, "Damn he could've run there and picked an easy 1st down", which is absolutely correct on many occasions. Watching a whole season, these observations pile up and you end up thinking to yourself that its something that needs attention/needs to be fixed.

Problem is this totally ignores successful passing plays where there was an option to run it but Tua passed it instead. You're not going back to that play and note that the passing play in that instance was the correct call, because why would you? They picked it up! Great!

So in the end, you're basically noting every failures and ignoring successes, of course you'll think something needs to be fixed.

If defenses are playing on tendencies, and they do, Tua has the tendency to not run it for the first down, so hes not perceived as a threat to run.

If he were to add that threat tendency to his game, in theory, it would open up his passing game while on the run prior to making the decision of run/pass at LOS, to give defenders a mental pause of what's going to happen.

I'm all for Tua passing to our receivers, but if the play for a first down is there, on let's say a 3rd and 4 to pick up 5 yards with your legs, do it, and do it with a safe efficient slide.

In no way do I want Tua to take away from his strength as a passer, but I do want to see drives extended with easy and smart decisions made picking up those first downs with a simple run, if it presents itself in the situation.

Tua has the tendency to not run it for the first down, so hes not perceived as a threat to run.
How do you know that? Quantify it, so we have something to build this conversation around.

Reality...

When he does, he gets 3 yards per attempts. When he passes, he gets 8.9(which lead the NFL in 2022).

What is your argument for doing less of something that worked better than all other QBs to do something he's subpar at more?

How do you know that? Quantify it, so we have something to build this conversation around.

Reality...

When he does, he gets 3 yards per attempts. When he passes, he gets 8.9(which lead the NFL in 2022).

What is your argument for doing less of something that worked better than all other QBs to do something he's subpar at more?
because he is not aggressive in his approach often times hesitating.

As stated earlier, I don't want to take away from Tua's strength, which is his passing.

However, when there's plays to be made by running it for a simple first down, do it.

I'm not interested in an argument, nor am I interested in quantifying stats. It's obvious that the opportunities are there to extend drives with a run for a first down.

The league is analytically driven these days, so tendencies are a major emphasis on coaching and scouting upcoming opponents and deriving game play against said opponents.

Tua has the tendency to hesitate and look to make a play throwing it. Sometimes, it works. Like you said, that's great. Other times, it doesn't.

So, to improve his overall elite game play and to break defensive tendencies, run it for the first down. It's not difficult and doesn't need an argument.

Last edited:
If defenses are playing on tendencies, and they do, Tua has the tendency to not run it for the first down, so hes not perceived as a threat to run.

If he were to add that threat tendency to his game, in theory, it would open up his passing game while on the run prior to making the decision of run/pass at LOS, to give defenders a mental pause of what's going to happen.

I'm all for Tua passing to our receivers, but if the play for a first down is there, on let's say a 3rd and 4 to pick up 5 yards with your legs, do it, and do it with a safe efficient slide.

In no way do I want Tua to take away from his strength as a passer, but I do want to see drives extended with easy and smart decisions made picking up those first downs with a simple run, if it presents itself in the situation.
Tua has a tendency to not run for the 1st down because he's not very fast or good at it.

Kirk Cousins had more yards per attempt than Tua. So did Joe Burrow. Wanting Tua to do more of something he's not very good at makes little sense.

because he is not aggressive in his approach often times hesitating.

As stated earlier, I don't want to take away from Tua's strength, which is his passing.

However, when there's plays to be made by running it for a simple first down, do it.

I'm not interested in an argument, nor am I interested in quantifying stats. It's obvious that the opportunities are there to extend drives with a run for a first down.

The league is analytically driven these days, so tendencies are a major emphasis on coaching and scouting upcoming opponents and deriving game play against said opponents.

Tua has the tendency to hesitate and look to make a play throwing it. Sometimes, it works. Like you said, that's great. Other times, it doesn't.

So, to improve his overall elite game play and to break defensive tendencies, run it for the first down. It's not difficult and doesn't need an argument.
Tua will never run enough or even close to successfully enough to make any DC change their gameplan against the Fins, especially with Hill and Waddle on the field. This is literally just looking at games and saying he should've run to get a first there while ignoring all the times he didn't and converted successfully...

And yet this whole discussion is based around no one even talking about how often does he even run compared to other NFL QBs... Its basically "He should run more because I say so"

Many of the situations where he had the opportunity to run for the first down, he had plenty of space to run, as the defense stayed in coverage. They expected pass, and that's exactly what they got, and many times, we then trotted out Morestead/Sanders on the very next play

Many of the situations where he had the opportunity to run for the first down, he had plenty of space to run, as the defense stayed in coverage. They expected pass, and that's exactly what they got, and many times, we then trotted out Morestead/Sanders on the very next play
I know that... this is absolutely correct. Now go back and watch all games and look for the opportunities he had to run but decided to pass instead and had success doing it. Im not telling you he should NEVER run, I'm telling you that if you want to play with the ratio in which he does, you need to compare with what he's doing currently, or else you're just pissing in the wind... No?

I'm not advocating for Tua to run every situation outside the pocket. I am advocating for him to do it when the opportunity exists for a short run for the first down.

We all get it that Tua won't have defenses worried about his scrambling. Right now, they perceive he won't do it at all, hence why defenders stay back in coverage during these situations.

By breaking tendencies, defenders will take a mental pause. In that moment, the defender must decide whether to stay in coverage or stop the first down run and slide. Once this happens, it can open up the pass and the receiver getting open from the mental pause.

I'm not advocating for Tua to run every situation outside the pocket. I am advocating for him to do it when the opportunity exists for a short run for the first down.

We all get it that Tua won't have defenses worried about his scrambling. Right now, they perceive he won't do it at all, hence why defenders stay back in coverage during these situations.

By breaking tendencies, defenders will take a mental pause. In that moment, the defender must decide whether to stay in coverage or stop the first down run and slide. Once this happens, it can open up the pass and the receiver getting open from the mental pause.
Tua runs the ball 2.75 times a game
Mahomes runs the ball 3.75 times a game

Does that seem like something is out of place?

I dont care what Mahomes does. I don't. He's not leading the Miami Dolphins.

I want Tua to improve upon his already elite ability. Tua is not a scrambler. However, he IS quick and athletic enough to extend plays, especially when the defense is playing coverage vice stopping the run opportunity.

I agree with you bro, he is an elite passer, and we want the ball going to Hill, Waddle, among others down the field.

But when the play is there for Tua to run for a first down, do it. It will extend drives and provide more opportunities.

As a side note, QB's run average gets added with sack yardage lost. So the 3 ypc is lost in translation, in context of him running forward with the ball.

Back
Top Bottom