Here's One Benefit To Dolphins Not Giving Tannehill Competition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's One Benefit To Dolphins Not Giving Tannehill Competition

When Ben was in his prime they brought in quarterbacks to back him up not to compete with him. Joe won MVP and Super Bowl like six or seven years ago when he was in his prime also.

With today's QBs playing into their mid 30s and beyond, ones prime is a sliding scale. I would say Joe Flacco has struggled without a consistent running game and a DECLINING defense. But that hasn't seemed to bother them when Miami plays them.

As for Big Ben, again they have invested for years at the QB position. While Miami was content on having the highest paid backup QB on its roster who would never threaten or push someone who has never been threatened or pushed at the NFL level.

But again I say, why bring in competition now, when you have not seen it necessary during the Tannehill era? I really liked what KC did for their QB situation.

How many teams these days really have QB competition? I don’t think it’s healthy anyway at this point in the guys career. When they are rookies or guys like Fales, ok. But if your 7-8 year guy has to “prove” himself each year that means he likely doesn’t have “it”. I’m ok w no alternative here. The starter needs the support of his HC and to take the reps.

Teams with a QB competition don't have a QB.

Last edited:
Yeah, except Roethlisberger is 36, and that QB wasn't brought in as competition.

Neither was Flacco's. Neither of those franchises will have a different starter unless their current starter is completely off the team.

I don't think a lot of people understand what competition means.

Before the age of purple markers and participation trophies, we understood what competition is and should be.

Alex Smith understood the difference last year in KC, so did the media and the fan base. Yet KC did the prudent thing in the end, IMO.

2 SB winning QBs having an opinion contrary to their FO? How shocking. Yet those FOs are not sitting around thinking like most in this thread do. Baltimore Front Office > Davie Front Office, Pittsburgh Front Office > Davie Front Office. Never mind some of the silliness being posted here is just plain nuts.

How old is Roethlisberger and how well has Flacco played for the last 4 years? Get a clue.

Last edited:
Disagree with the entire premise. I like Hyde but he’s not right here. Tannehill has always been at his BEST when personally doubted and thrown into the fire that way.

He lost the competition with Stephen McGee and subsequently Jerod Johnson at A&M so what did he do? Became an All Conference WIDE RECEIVER while pulling double duty.

He finally got a shot to play in his fourth year after 3.5 years of eating **** from Mike Sherman, who first kept him benched behind McGee and then Jerod Johnson (neither being NFL players), what happens? Those first four games, Tannehill goes on an absolute tear. It was his chance to tell Mike Sherman, “**** you, you made a huge mistake” and he nailed it.

Then comes 2014 and probably unbeknownst to Tannehill, Philbin sold him out by requesting Ireland draft Derek Carr. Ireland says no. Then three games into the year after a few bad performances Philbin publicly refuses to name Tannehill the starter. It was big deal. National news. Everyone in the organization heard it. Dan Marino was pissed on Ryan’s behalf. Tannehill wouldn’t say it publicly but he was really pissed. What happens? That very week he goes out there and murders the Raiders in London. From that game thru the rest of the year he had like a 100 passer rating.

Then in 2016 he struggles as the entire offense is trying to install Gase’s new offense. Fans and media alike after the Titans game start calling for his head. Demanding he be benched. Media won’t stop asking Gase. So Gase says **** you guys, I’m not putting up with this anymore, declares definitively and publicly that Ryan Tannehill has been named the starting QB for the remainder of 2016 hell or high water. From that point on Tannehill has a 100 passer rating, 7-1 record, not taking sacks, running for yards, etc.

Complacency has always been Tannehill’s biggest enemy. He plays especially well when everyone is trying to shovel dirt over his grave. Had they drafted a Josh Rosen, Tannehill probably has the best year of his career. That’s the way he is.

Luckily tho, after missing 19 games or whatever with the knee, and being written off by everyone EXCEPT his coach, I think there’s already plenty of motivation there.

and yet another Tannehill is great/Tannehill sucks thread......lol

There will be a QB competition but it won't be public. If Tannehill comes out and ****s the bed from the gate, Osweiler will be our day 1 starter, but that seems less than likely knowing RT17's work ethic and physical prowess(let's hope he still has it)
lol even if Tannehill stunk up the joint, Miami would still name him the starter.

C.K.,is that the guy you see returning to the team? The 7-1 guy? I certainly do, I expect him to pick up right where he left off minus some rustiness. What concerns me is that there are many new moving parts that have to be assimilated and ready to go on opening day. The offense looks pretty darn solid on paper but will the parts gel, will the o-line play well, can Wilson and Amendola replace Landry, how much does Gore have left and how quickly can we get Gesicki going? Lot's of questions and that's just on offense!

Tannehill doesn't need competition. He's a true pro.

At least you didn't say he was a "True pro bowler"...because, well, you know.

(Fully awaiting the "But, but, but.....he would've gone to the Pro Bowl in 2016 if he didn't get injured...he's a victim of bad luck...the planets aligned against him"...and on and on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom