Here's One Glaring Issue Brock Osweiler Must Solve In His Bid For Dolphins' Backup Qb Job | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's One Glaring Issue Brock Osweiler Must Solve In His Bid For Dolphins' Backup Qb Job

Perhaps the change in his mechanics is affecting his accuracy. If he can clean it up over the next 1 month before training camp then best of luck and let the best QB win the job.

He's always had accuracy issues. That's why they're changing his mechanics.

The last time I watched Brock play was with Houston. I couldn't believe I was watching a starting NFL QB that was incapable, either because of the coaching staff lack of trust or that QB's lack of talent, of making a 10 yard throw.

Yet, he's still employed? How the heck does that work?

physical tools, I don't even think he has accuracy issues...it has to be mechanical somewhere. accuracy issues you miss a some passes. a lot of his incompletions you would think that it was flipper throwing the football, he has something else going on upstairs, but..

camp arm, reclamation project. didn't seem like adam even really wanted him. but low not guaranteed money so they can cut him any day. Was probably one of those deals where adam said "fine, im going in to camp with fales as my #2, if I cant do anything with Brock he's getting a quick axe. I'm sure if gase isn't happy with him when actual training camp starts then he'll get a quick cut. I really don't see how much gase is going to be able to work on him now since he's head coach and 3rd string QB isn't high on his priority list for investing time in. there are a lot of QB's out there that would still get a chance if they offered to play on vet min with no guaranteed.

heck if he sucks too bad wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bring back zac dysert back for a training camp arm,

This falls in the whoop de do bin .... don’t think this matters a hill of beans to our season. If for some reason he plays lights out - great, if not - Fales will be good enough and Petty can sit on the PS .... all good ...

physical tools, I don't even think he has accuracy issues...it has to be mechanical somewhere. accuracy issues you miss a some passes. a lot of his incompletions you would think that it was flipper throwing the football, he has something else going on upstairs, but..

camp arm, reclamation project. didn't seem like adam even really wanted him. but low not guaranteed money so they can cut him any day. Was probably one of those deals where adam said "fine, im going in to camp with fales as my #2, if I cant do anything with Brock he's getting a quick axe. I'm sure if gase isn't happy with him when actual training camp starts then he'll get a quick cut. I really don't see how much gase is going to be able to work on him now since he's head coach and 3rd string QB isn't high on his priority list for investing time in. there are a lot of QB's out there that would still get a chance if they offered to play on vet min with no guaranteed.

heck if he sucks too bad wouldn't surprise me if they didn't bring back zac dysert back for a training camp arm,

Then why not bring in someone from some practice squad somewhere that could maybe be more?

Very hard to teach a QB how to be accurate. It's the hardest thing to fix imo. You either have it or you don't.

Then why not bring in someone from some practice squad somewhere that could maybe be more?

Because there really aren't many guys out there that are any better. Competent QB's are in really short supply. That's why Matt Moore hung on as long as he did. If we were relying solely on Brock as our main backup QB competition or if we were paying him more than the paltry salary he is earning, I'd be concerned. But we have three candidates for the backup QB job. Brock has an idea of what Gase wants and some physical tools. He's a low % gamble, but we have invested minimally in the bet. No practice squad QB would have any greater chance of being a good bet themselves. Those guys just don't pan out all that often either.

Last edited:
I like your thought process. Maybe they thought the same thing and haven't done it because:

1. They aren't aware of a PS candidate that is worth the effort considering,
2. The backup QB positions affect the quality of practice and the development of a lot of others. Knowing the system has value along with physical tools in running practice.

I hope they are being diligent and keep looking. Heck, the brought in Petty and that wasn't an obvious move to me.

Maybe they also had their mind on a udfa that signed elsewhere. I was thinking riley ferg had rumors that we signed him, not the titans. We might poach after preseason

It occurs to me that there are two types of internal pressure QB's (and others) have to address within themselves.

The first is the kind a less prominent player faces. He needs to focus on what he can do and what he needs to do to improve. He is always looking forward to face this pressure. The second is probably most prominent in early draft picks and veterans who are loosing their positions. That pressure is a fear of being left behind as opposed to looking forward. Some may simplify it by calling it a loss of confidence and that is fine, but it ignores the fact that the player is looking backward; not forward.

It will be nice if Brock can overcome whatever his problems are, but we will not be destitute if he fails.

Forcing the ball to his primary regardless of coverage or leverage played is his biggest flaw.

If you can't beat out D.Fales, then you defnitely don't belong in the NFL. Imo, Fales is not even 3rd string worthy, maybe he is good & dependable in the QB room, but as far as arm talent, the guy doesn't fkkn have it. I honestly believe B.Petty can grab that back-up spot. Only reason Fales & Osweiler can make the team is really based on their knowledge of Gase's system and that is always good for the offense. But as far as talent goes, David & Brock suck.

Back
Top Bottom