Here's something that hasn't been addressed yet............ | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's something that hasn't been addressed yet............

Agent51

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We have all made it clear what type of runner we want, but with rumors now swirling about a possible Alex Smith pick at #2, and even if not him we will obviously, or SHOULD obviously, be taking a QB at SOME point in the draft, what TYPE of QB do we want? Do we want a Marino-esq pure passer, a Vick-type (although obviously not AS good as Vick) scrambler, or a balanced QB, one that likes to stay in the pocket but can scramble if need be?

Personally I prefer a balanced QB. While I LOVED Marino, lets face it, he couldn't move. I'm not even talkin busting runs for gains, I'm talkin like just a few steps to avoid a sack. I like my QBs to stay in the pocket, or to roll out and be able to accurately fire passes with some power to them to make it downfield. I prefer them to have a "pass first" mentality, not like Vick who can run, and knows it, so he uses it to pretty much showboat and ball hog every pass play.

I agree that we should be looking to take a QB at some point during this draft, and the QBs without the pure ability like Marino or Manning must compensate with mobility. For that reason, I agree that Adrian McPherson might be someone that Saban seriously considers, although I doubt we use a second round pick (if we have one) to take him. I think we'll go RB and WR with our first two picks.

Pocoloco said:
I agree that we should be looking to take a QB at some point during this draft, and the QBs without the pure ability like Marino or Manning must compensate with mobility. For that reason, I agree that Adrian McPherson might be someone that Saban seriously considers, although I doubt we use a second round pick (if we have one) to take him. I think we'll go RB and WR with our first two picks.

maybe we can get REALLY lucky an Adrian won't look as appealing to other teams in the 2nd round that need QBs and we can take a WR or even a DB there and grab Adrian with the 6th pick in round 3. I DEFINATELY hope we don't take Rogers or Smith, but I'd be extremely happy with Adrian, or even Walter, Orton, and of course, LeFors in the later rounds, although I think Adrian will fit with us the best. Saban did have Rohan Davey as a mobile QB at LSU, and had success with him..........

Dan had very good Pocket pressence(sp?) he could avoid the Rush, just couldn't run anywhere. If his couple step move didn't get him away then he was sacked. Adrian i think is worth a look, has a ton of talent.

Agent51 said:
Personally I prefer a balanced QB. While II LOVED Marino, lets face it, he couldn't move. I'm not even talkin busting runs for gains, I'm talkin like just a few steps to avoid a sack.

Are you kidding me???? Marino was one of the least sacked QB's almost ever year, and yes he had an excellent pass protecting O-line, but when guys did get past Webb/Simms, and Co. Marino ALWAYS did a good job of avoiding the sack!!! You're right, He wasn't very mobile at all, but he had AMAZING pocket prescence, How many times did all of us see his little sidesteps, and stepping up in the pocket then watching a DLman or LB fly by him???? So NO he was NOT very mobile, but he always did an excellent job of taking a "Few steps to avoid a sack."

But o answer your question......... I don't care what kind of QB we get, I just want one that performs well one way or another

outlawd2u said:
Are you kidding me???? Marino was one of the least sacked QB's almost ever year, and yes he had an excellent pass protecting O-line, but when guys did get past Webb/Simms, and Co. Marino ALWAYS did a good job of avoiding the sack!!! You're right, He wasn't very mobile at all, but he had AMAZING pocket prescence, How many times did all of us see his little sidesteps, and stepping up in the pocket then watching a DLman or LB fly by him???? So NO he was NOT very mobile, but he always did an excellent job of taking a "Few steps to avoid a sack."

But o answer your question......... I don't care what kind of QB we get, I just want one that performs well one way or another

Yea you're right, I guess I kinda over-exaggerated to emphasize the fact that he couldn't SCRAMBLE, he DID have great presence though.

I want a quarterback that can pass the football first and foremost. Arm strength, accuracy, field vision, and intelligence are the most important qualities of a quarterback. Mobility is an aspect that has been pumped up recently due to the social conscious over black quarterbacks, when mobility shouldn't even be a factor in quarterback ability.

if you look at tom brady, hes the kinda guy who has no speed but has amazing pocket presence, he slides around avoiding sacks...thats the kinda guy you need, someone who has good pocket presence

Athletic QBs scare the heck out of me when I bet against them

Football is like anything else, you're always looking for two chances instead of one or three instead of two. A mobile QB is like a bargain, providing that extra chance to bail out a play when the design didn't work. As a Canes fan, I can't count how many times we've been burned by a running QB up the middle the last few years, since our scheme doesn't mark the QB with a LB. A play that is in vogue now in all levels of football is the naked bootleg on 3rd or 4th and short. It almost always works unless the off DE or OLB is warned to look for it ahead of time. If we get an Andrew Walter, no need to even design a play like that.

I agree mobility should be a secondary concern, if not third. Frankly, I don't understand the commotion over Adrian McPherson. He never looked like an accurate enough passer for me to even consider his mobility, at least projected to the NFL level. But I'm more than intrigued by an Alex Smith or even Stephan LeFors, guys who are intelligent and accurate along with the great wheels.

Awsi Dooger said:
Football is like anything else, you're always looking for two chances instead of one or three instead of two. A mobile QB is like a bargain, providing that extra chance to bail out a play when the design didn't work. As a Canes fan, I can't count how many times we've been burned by a running QB up the middle the last few years, since our scheme doesn't mark the QB with a LB. A play that is in vogue now in all levels of football is the naked bootleg on 3rd or 4th and short. It almost always works unless the off DE or OLB is warned to look for it ahead of time. If we get an Andrew Walter, no need to even design a play like that.

I agree mobility should be a secondary concern, if not third. Frankly, I don't understand the commotion over Adrian McPherson. He never looked like an accurate enough passer for me to even consider his mobility, at least projected to the NFL level. But I'm more than intrigued by an Alex Smith or even Stephan LeFors, guys who are intelligent and accurate along with the great wheels.

HA, another LeFors advocate, welcome to my club, I think this makes a total of THREE who want Stefan now. I've been saying it all along, I have confidence in him and I think he will succeed and also be a steal as a later round QB. However, if I had to pick another QB that wasn't him, and wasn't the top 2 (which I don't want period) it'd be Adrian.

I want a QB that will make smart decisions. A guy who can avoid the pass rush and then find the wide open man, but at the same time, he can tuck it down and rund when needed.

I don't want a guy like Vick where you have to rely solely on his legs, or a guy like Kerry Collins where you have to rely on his arm.

IMO, the quarterback with the best pocket presence in the draft is David Greene. The guy simply knows when to get rid of the football, and he's the best two minute drill quarterback in this draft.

KB21 said:
IMO, the quarterback with the best pocket presence in the draft is David Greene. The guy simply knows when to get rid of the football, and he's the best two minute drill quarterback in this draft.

I think the worst thing about this year's draft is that it's Saban's 1st year, we have absolutely NO IDEA how he will draft, it's not like he had a draft last year so we can see they way he picks and get an idea of the way he ranks guys and stuff, but we don't, so not only is this such a crucial draft position-wise, but it's also a our first look at how our new coach thinks and it's also his first MAJOR set of decisions

Back
Top Bottom