Here's why Dolphins running back Myles Gaskin is better than you think | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's why Dolphins running back Myles Gaskin is better than you think

Dude averaged 97 yards from scrimmage last year per game.

He was on his way to a 1600 total yard year, thats all you need a running back to do in 2021 to be a successful offense. Mix in Ahmed, and Brown and Miami could have 2000 total yards from their running backs.
Stop making sense 8, that will scramble some brains here!!!!

The rest of our RBs were complete garbage at it so Gaskin missing a chunk of games plummeted us in those rankings.

Hopefully we have at least one other RB this year that can actually break a tackle.
The stat I saw only gave Gaskin 6 broken tackles for the season so he wasn't great either. IIRC Brown had as many broken tackles with about a third fewer attempts. I don't see any evidence that Gaskin is "better than I think". Looking at NextGen stats, Gaskin was ranked anywhere from 25th-28th in terms of yards over expected. If anything I think that our run blocking is better than people think and Gaskin was getting about what a decent back should to get given the run blocking and attempts he got.

Gaskins is a solid all around #2 back. If we had a Gaskins kind of HB during the Marino years no one would proclaim Marino finally has a HB good enough to carry some of the offensive load.

Gaskins is a solid all around #2 back. If we had a Gaskins kind of HB during the Marino years no one would proclaim Marino finally has a HB good enough to carry some of the offensive load.
Different body types and maybe a little different running styles, but Gaskin talent level wise is very similar to a Tony Nathan. Both could do a little bit of everything. Neither is going to wow you and make you stop looking at other backs. But I would say when the clock is ticking and the game is one the line neither Nathan or Gaskin are going to be your reason for losing. They're both just good enough to get their job done. If the oline is doing it's job and the qb is too Gaskin won't hold the offense back. He won't be the type of back you can just ride and hope he'll carry an offense on day when others are struggling.

No team should be satisfied with having a bottom level (25-32) starter at the RB position if they expect to win playoff games. There are at least 25 starting RBs better than Gaskin could ever be- McCaffrey, Zeke, Kamara, Henry, Cook, Taylor,Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Sanders, Akers, Edwards-Helaire, Dobbins, Montgomery, Carson, Mixon, Swift, Gordon, Hunt, Robinson, Gibson, Fournette, Ekeler, Harris, Etienne.

The Oline was mediocre in run blocking yet the RBs were 29th, 31st and 32 nd in the broken tackles, yards after contact, yards per attempt. That tells you none of them are even average.

No team should be satisfied with having a bottom level (25-32) starter at the RB position if they expect to win playoff games. There are at least 25 starting RBs better than Gaskin could ever be- McCaffrey, Zeke, Kamara, Henry, Cook, Taylor,Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Sanders, Akers, Edwards-Helaire, Dobbins, Montgomery, Carson, Mixon, Swift, Gordon, Hunt, Robinson, Gibson, Fournette, Ekeler, Harris, Etienne.

The Oline was mediocre in run blocking yet the RBs were 29th, 31st and 32 nd in the broken tackles, yards after contact, yards per attempt. That tells you none of them are even average.
Cool, a team stat when Gaskin started 7 games and missed almost half the season.

Good attempt at logic. Better luck next time.

I suspect the fins expect to sign a rb that gets cut. Similar to the bucs landing fournette. That worked out pretty well for them.

Fournette is better?? He has a career 3.9 ypc average, w only one season over 4. He averaged 3.8 last year with Tampa, so Jacksonville wasn't the problem. And he isn't nearly as good in the pass game as Gaskin.

Why wouldn't u list Ronald Jones (their actual starter) instead?

Your perception here has to warped by named recognition to prefer Fournette over Gaskin.

The stat I saw only gave Gaskin 6 broken tackles for the season so he wasn't great either. IIRC Brown had as many broken tackles with about a third fewer attempts. I don't see any evidence that Gaskin is "better than I think". Looking at NextGen stats, Gaskin was ranked anywhere from 25th-28th in terms of yards over expected. If anything I think that our run blocking is better than people think and Gaskin was getting about what a decent back should to get given the run blocking and attempts he got.

Is it okay for us to think Gaskins is a good player to have without thinking he is a good #1 option? I’m not sure why it’s even a conversation... he’s EASILY bottom 3-5 in talent as a #1 RB but he has good intangibles, plays hard, and can do a lot of things decently well... love having him on the team. But he’s not quick enough or simply put, good enough, to be even serviceable as a starting running back in this league... he’s probably not even the best runner on the team, I’d say Ahmed showed better burst acceleration and ability to hit the hole than Gaskins (who is easily a better all around player).

Like Gaskins the player - he would be top 10-15 no question as a #2. Hopefully we get a better starter by next season.

Gaskin is a good 3rd down back, role player, not a premiere guy. Would be nice if we had a workhorse to go along with him.

Different body types and maybe a little different running styles, but Gaskin talent level wise is very similar to a Tony Nathan. Both could do a little bit of everything. Neither is going to wow you and make you stop looking at other backs. But I would say when the clock is ticking and the game is one the line neither Nathan or Gaskin are going to be your reason for losing. They're both just good enough to get their job done. If the oline is doing it's job and the qb is too Gaskin won't hold the offense back. He won't be the type of back you can just ride and hope he'll carry an offense on day when others are struggling.

This is my biggest problem with a back like Gaskin. For the most part backs like him NEED close to everything to be perfect to succeed. Meaning the OL has to provide good to great blocking 99% of the time for them to succeed. It's rare that they can elevate the offense if things aren't perfect.

This is FB and there are a few times when things aren't going to be perfect. In those moments, imo, the more players you have that are capable of elevating the offense then the more likely you're going win those games and be a competitive team.

Outside of the QB the RB probably touches the ball more than anyone else. So, imo, you better have someone back there that's able to elevate the team even when things aren't going well.

Full respect to the guy, But that doesn't scream Gaskin. At least not as the #1 RB.

If only the dude could break a tackle once in a while even undersized cb look like ray Lewis when tackling gaskins

Back
Top Bottom