Here's why Dolphins running back Myles Gaskin is better than you think | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's why Dolphins running back Myles Gaskin is better than you think

Fournette is better?? He has a career 3.9 ypc average, w only one season over 4. He averaged 3.8 last year with Tampa, so Jacksonville wasn't the problem. And he isn't nearly as good in the pass game as Gaskin.

Why wouldn't u list Ronald Jones (their actual starter) instead?

Your perception here has to warped by named recognition to prefer Fournette over Gaskin.
Not to nitpick but you only pointed out one guy you thought was better than Gaskin. How does that really hurt his point? So there are only 19 better backs instead of 20? Gaskins is a JAG, any way you slice it. He is not going to get that tough 3rd and 2.

So does this mean Jones over Gaskins instead of Fournette? Both over Gaskin? Your a good poster by the way just bored late on a Monday night. Actually a Fournette/Gaskin backfield might be something. I would take Fournette over Brown.

He's def gonna take majority of the workload but he shouldn't touch the field in short yardage situations. He needs to be on the field during any potential passing down though.

Gaskin is a great pass catcher out the backfield and is a perfect check down option in our offense.
Fuller and Waddle as the homerun threats...
Parker and Gesicki as the big physical threats...
Gaskin in the flats...

Thats a nice balance when it comes to passing

The passing game being more explosive and better OL play impacts the running game more than just getting a new RB.

I agree.

The biggest difference in running backs ON THIS BOARD seems to be some have "burst" vs. or else they are a "bust".

I find that interesting because as I see it, the main cause for a running back having "burst" vs. being a "bust" is the OFFENSIVE LINE!.

I suspect the fins expect to sign a rb that gets cut. Similar to the bucs landing fournette. That worked out pretty well for them.

YES!

I don't care about how good or bad one of our players is portrayed on this board by the "experts".

I do care that we are consistently trying to improve or get better depth at every position on the team and that includes the coaching staff.

This is what I see happening so far with the new Front Office. As a result, we are playing well with whom we have; we are getting better every season with our draft and trades and as the team gets better the performance of each player gets better by association with a good team.

This Dolphins team and organization is the real deal and I'm glad I'm here to see it all coming together.

I'm even having some fun with the "Lemmings", or as it's said in North Carolina, "Lemmings, bless their hearts" - LOL

Not to nitpick but you only pointed out one guy you thought was better than Gaskin. How does that really hurt his point? So there are only 19 better backs instead of 20? Gaskins is a JAG, any way you slice it. He is not going to get that tough 3rd and 2.

So does this mean Jones over Gaskins instead of Fournette? Both over Gaskin? Your a good poster by the way just bored late on a Monday night. Actually a Fournette/Gaskin backfield might be something. I would take Fournette over Brown.
That's because I didn't disagree the other guys are better than Gaskin. And I've never disagreed that Gaskin was a low level starting RB. There's def at least 20 starters I'd rank higher.

But I just thought anyone that is saying Fournette is better is def underrating Gaskin. Fournette isn't good enough to qualify as any level of starter.

He consistently struggles to average 4 ypc and does not excel in the pass game like Gaskin. I just want to be accurate about who is and isn't better than Gaskin, since RB has become such a polarizing topic here.

But yes I would take Jones over Gaskin despite the fact that Jones is weak in the pass game (so I really don't consider it a landslide). I heavily value receiving ability and pass blocking from my RB's, so I'm prob not quite as high on Jones as many others might be. He is a very good runner though. Obv significantly better than Gaskin. Gaskin is significantly better as a reciever/blocker. But I think both have deficiencies to their games as lead backs.

And let's not forget Jones didn't break out until his 3rd year in a great offense. Highly doubt he averages 5 ypc on our team last year. This is kind of an example of why I prioritize building the rest of your offense and trying to find an acceptable starting RB without ever spending too much capital.

But I would definitely not take Fournette over Gaskin. Fournette over Brown, yeah I'd make that move. But I still don't really think that moves the needle all that much in our RB room. Would still want Ahmed getting more carries than both of them.

(And thanks for the compliment)

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is we've recently seen:

Ricky Williams
Ronnie Brown
J. Ajaya
L.Miller

Then you get M.Gaskins.....Really?

He seems like a good kid and a hard worker. But, imo, not a feature back. He's at best #2 and more realistically your #3
Even Kenyon Drake to be honest.

That's a great article, but extrapolating stats isn't something I'm necessarily fond of.

Still, maybe we are underestimating Gaskin as a fan base. Considering the state of the offensive line, his season was more impressive than his stats might indicate.

That's because I didn't disagree the other guys are better than Gaskin. And I've never disagreed that Gaskin was a low level starting RB. There's def at least 20 starters I'd rank higher.

But I just thought anyone that is saying Fournette is better is def underrating Gaskin. Fournette isn't good enough to qualify as any level of starter.

He consistently struggles to average 4 ypc and does not excel in the pass game like Gaskin. I just want to be accurate about who is and isn't better than Gaskin, since RB has become such a polarizing topic here.

But yes I would take Jones over Gaskin despite the fact that Jones is weak in the pass game (so I really don't consider it a landslide). I heavily value receiving ability and pass blocking from my RB's, so I'm prob not quite as high on Jones as many others might be. He is a very good runner though. Obv significantly better than Gaskin. Gaskin is significantly better as a reciever/blocker. But I think both have deficiencies to their games as lead backs.

And let's not forget Jones didn't break out until his 3rd year in a great offense. Highly doubt he averages 5 ypc on our team last year. This is kind of an example of why I prioritize building the rest of your offense and trying to find an acceptable starting RB without ever spending too much capital.

But I would definitely not take Fournette over Gaskin. Fournette over Brown, yeah I'd make that move. But I still don't really think that moves the needle all that much in our RB room. Would still want Ahmed getting more carries than both of them.

(And thanks for the compliment)
No one said fournette is better. I personally used him as an example of a guy you add to what you have, not replace.

to make it clear - gaskin/brown/ add someone else. Rotate them. Maybe its our 7th rounder but i doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom