Here's why we shouldn't draft a QB....... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here's why we shouldn't draft a QB.......

NJPHIN34

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
We shouldn't draft a QB this year because we have AJ Feeley on the roster. Simply put we need to see what AJ can do this year with a year under his belt and more to work with. We can't go out and spend a lot of resources on a QB who isn't a sure thing. Rodgers and Smith are both good prospects but both have their question marks and let's be honest neither are that Eli Manning type of QB that you just can't pass on. Now I know some will say that you don't pass up the opportunity to draft a franchise QB if you have it, but look at it this way: from what I hear Rodgers and Smith are not locks to be a franchise QB, they may turn into very good pros. But neither are that superstar, Eli Manning type prospect. I suggest we pass on both QBs and let Feeley have a shot at it and if he doesn't work out, maybe Frerotte can handle the duties for a year or 2. Lets face it if we give Feeley a shot and he blows it, we are looking at a very high draft pick again next year with the chance to draft a real potential franchise QB in Matt Leinart. We can get a so called safer prospect in Brown, Benson, Edwards or D. Johnson and then we'll go with Feeley as the starter. If Feeley works out then we look very smart for not wasting the pick on a position that actually wasnt a need. If Feeley flops next year than we will have the opportunity to draft a better Franchise QB prospect in Matt Leinart.

Guys listen! Im back from the future. Ive spent the last year watching NFL religiously and heres what happens.

Ricky comes back, only to leave again, posing in a wedding dress with Rick Spielman who was fired the same day he quit again.

Alex Smith went to Cleveland.

Cleveland won the superbowl.

Massachusettes was destroyed by a meteorite when the Patriots were playing the bills. The dolphins were declared "Most awesome team in the AFC East,despite having a ****ty quarterback"

Oh, and we lost all our games because we didnt draft Alex Smith. We drafted Braylon Edwards, who turned out to be the next chris chambers. Pity though, because Chris Chambers turned out to be the next Ricky williams. We haven't seen him since the day before training camp started.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DRAFT ALEX SMITH.

That is all.

Smith is probably more talented than Leinart. Smith had one good receiver at Utah and a good coach. Leinart is surrounded by talent at USC. I'd rather take Smith this year than tank again and go with Leinart. I seriously think we will be better off.

NJPHIN34 said:
We shouldn't draft a QB this year because we have AJ Feeley on the roster. Simply put we need to see what AJ can do this year with a year under his belt and more to work with. We can't go out and spend a lot of resources on a QB who isn't a sure thing. .
Feeley on our roster doesnt mean crap. He hasnt played well enough to not draft a franchise QB when we are picking in the top 2 picks in the draft.

If we draft Alex Smith AJ will never start in Miami again.

1st of all Matt Leinart had alot of talent around him like Michael Clayton and Mike Williams he basically came into a good situation where everything was alrdy layed out.
The person who represents Alex Smith also represents Eli Manning and Payton and Alex Smith alrdy has a reebok deal which only Culpepper, Mcnabb and both Mannings have.

I like Ronnie and Cedric but not at #2, runningback wud probably be the safest pick.
BUT
When Edge went down Domonic Rhodes rushed for a 1000 yards,
When Ricky left Saints Deuce Mcallister rushed for over 1,000 yards
When Terrel Davis got hurt Olandis Gary Rushed for 1,000 yards.
We had Ricky Williams running wild and didnt make the playoffs.

IF we get a runningback that fine but I think Ricky Williams + Alex Smith cud be a deadly force.
As for widereciever booker and chambers r overpaid, Braylon|Williams wud be making too much money to be a # 3 WR.
Rosco Parish or Matt Jones wud be a good # 3 WR with 2nd round pick.
Parish reminds me of a Az-Zahir Hakim type of player who knows we cud be the 99' Rams with
Smith,Ricky,Chambers,Booker,Parish,Thompson,Mcmichael
anywayz im out its like 1:00am now:eek:

You said it: When you have the chance to draft a franchise QB and you don't have one you do it. The truth is it doesn't matter if the media or if we think Smith is going to be a franchise QB. If Saban feels he can be then he has to take him. Feeley deserves a chance to prove himself, but we can't afford to give up the chance to draft a QB in the top of the draft because we don't know if we'll ever be here again. Plus Feeley doesnt really have the potential to be great. He may end up being above average, but chances are that is as good as he can be. The guy is 28 already and has proven nothing. But even if we draft Smith he probably won't start this year giving Feeley the chance everyone thinks he deserves. If he is impressive then we have two good QB's on our roster and could trade one of them. I would much rather have two good Qb's than none which is what we are risking if we pass on a QB.

I still personally feel that Alex Smith isn't even a franchise QB though. I agree that you draft a franchise QB if you don't already have one but I think the only reason Smith is being hyped so much right now is because of the week QB class that's coming out. If Smith was in last year's class he would have been the 4th QB taken behind Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger.

He's too much of a risk in my opinion and really didn't make his jump up draft boards until after his bowl game. Seems like the classic "workout warrior" type of player for lack of a better term who wows people at the combine and in his individual workouts but will bust once he makes it to the NFL. Smith scares me and I'm worried of him turning into another Tim Couch should we pick him. I don't want that kind of pick hanging over our heads the way it is in Cleveland right now.

When you take a QB that high in the draft you better be damn sure that he's the guy because it can set your team back years if he's not and right now Smith has too many question marks for me to be comfortable taking him, especially when we have a needs that's just as great if not greater at RB and much safer options available to us.

Look, smith and rodgers arn't worth our #2 pick!!!

Williams is the best player available in the draft. We will be running alot of 3 wr sets. I love chambers, but we havn't been able to see what he can really do due to our offensive scheme. Is he a true NFL #1? I don't know.

There are a couple QB's in the 2nd and 3rd round with real talent.

*CAMBELL!!!!!*

There are running backs to be had late in the draft.

Do we know what feely can do?

Williams in 1st cambeel in 2nd, RB in 2nd or 3rd

(why 2 picks in second when we have none? Expecting 2nd from surtain and 2nd from possible trade down with bucks. WIlliams is the only player I can justify at #2, and if we trade down to 5, I think he'll still be there)

Tommatt said:
(why 2 picks in second when we have none? Expecting 2nd from surtain and 2nd from possible trade down with bucks. WIlliams is the only player I can justify at #2, and if we trade down to 5, I think he'll still be there)

I doubt we get anything more than a third and possibly a throw-in pick by the Bucs to move down. This is only a difference of three picks, it's not like Tampa Bay is trying to move up from 15 into the top ten or something here. I'd be happy with a 3rd to move down to 5 and still get a stud RB in the process.

Plus, with both QBs off the board, the Browns will grab Edwards in a heartbeat at 3. No chance does Edwards fall to 5 if both Rodgers and Smith are off the board when Cleveland's on the clock.

Feeley hasnt proven nothing? Sure he has, he has proven he can get killed behind a horrible Oline, lol! I dont care who is the QB if that doesnt get fixed any QB will stink up the joint!

Can Feeley be the man? Dont know, but until we protect the guy we will never know.

Wanny used to talk about stretching the field so teams wont blitz but you cant stretch the field when the QB has 2 or 3 seconds to throw the ball.

I pray to god our oline improves this year regardless of who we draft. Based off last year if our line plays the same any of our picks will suck. Ricky's last year here he got pummelled. Our line sucked and guys were in the backfield before he even got the ball. I would of smoke dope that year if I was him too. I wonder how many painkillers Feeley was on last year?

There are no franchise QB's in this draft for Miami. Not until we have an Oline and give them some protection. Feeley improved last year even with the pressure, can you honestly see Alex Smith taking that type of beating.

I mean comon guys, how many QB's and RB's got hurt last year?

4U2NV said:
I doubt we get anything more than a third and possibly a throw-in pick by the Bucs to move down. This is only a difference of three picks, it's not like Tampa Bay is trying to move up from 15 into the top ten or something here. I'd be happy with a 3rd to move down to 5 and still get a stud RB in the process.

Plus, with both QBs off the board, the Browns will grab Edwards in a heartbeat at 3. No chance does Edwards fall to 5 if both Rodgers and Smith are off the board when Cleveland's on the clock.

We don't even need 2 #2's as there will be a QB/RB for us to pick in the 3rd.

One of the big 2 recievers will be there at #5. And I feel that williams is better than edwards anyways. We can get one of the big 2 recievers at #5.

Tommatt said:
We don't even need 2 #2's as there will be a QB/RB for us to pick in the 3rd.

One of the big 2 recievers will be there at #5. And I feel that williams is better than edwards anyways. We can get one of the big 2 recievers at #5.

It makes no sense to load up at one position when our entire offence needs work. A balanced offence is a good offence. Teams that can run the ball effectively will be able to throw the ball effectively. The RBs that will still be on the board in the 3rd round won't even come close to matching the talent that the top 3 backs have. Considering we've already got two starting WRs on the roster to begin with that's probably the most depth we have at any single position on the entire offence. Give Feeley or Gus a running game and then you'll see improved play from our passing game. I don't care how many 3 receiver sets we use, if we can't run our passing game is still going to suck like it did last year. Houck should be able to put together a solid line to buy our QB, whoever that may be, a bit more time in the pocket and a solid running game should open things up more. I think if you want a WR you'd look at a guy like Craig Bragg from UCLA who we could get in the 5th round and would give us good value with the pick. Drafting a WR in the top 5 is just putting all of our eggs in one basket, plain and simple. I'd rather we took a QB than a WR and everybody must know my thoughts on taking a QB by now.

The only reason I started feeling this way, was when I started to see how our offense is likely to play out. We have no 3rd wide reciever. We have 2, one former pro bowler who is a possesion reciever, and a big play guy. I don't feel we have that every down guy, which we could get in a draft.

Now, I love chambers, and I know, none of us honestly know what this kid can do. He puts up numbers, unfortunately, we don't know how good he really is due to our pass offenses. We need another reciever. I just feel this draft is stronger at RB, we can get one in the 2nd or 3rd round, that would be a starter, than at WR.

Plus, after reading about our new offense, a 3rd round RB, with our other running backs could do alot of damage. Look at the vikings, whos their running back? They ahve 3 strong running backs who do well in the offensive scheme.

If we take a RB in the first round, I'm ok with it, especially if we trade down before doing so. I really just don't want to see a QB taken in the first round. I think if Matt was in the draft, neither of them would be top 5 picks, except out of desperation. Theres some good qb's to be drafted later, alot of fine RB's to be drafted later. WR, I'm not so sure of. Offense this year in first 3 rounds, then offensive line and defense in later rounds and future drafts.

Anybody who can sit there and say Feely played horrible last year, obviously didn't watch the second half of the season, or they played on our offensive line and were laying on their backs when he was getting sacked about every other play!!!

Back
Top Bottom