He's Back, Johnny Manziel Signs With Aaf Singletary's Memphis Express | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

He's Back, Johnny Manziel Signs With Aaf Singletary's Memphis Express

Phindog

Active Roster
Reaction score
One step closer to the NFL

Manziel to play for Singletary on AAF's Express

Johnny Manziel is headed back to the United States to play football, and it will be in Memphis, Tennessee.

The Alliance of American Football announced Saturday night that it signed the quarterback and that he was claimed on waivers by the Memphis Express after the San Antonio Commanders relinquished his rights.

The AAF, in its first season, said Manziel will report Sunday to Memphis, which lost to Salt Lake 22-9 on Saturday to fall to 1-5. The former first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns could be the fourth quarterback to play for the team this season. Christian Hackenberg started the Express' first three games but was relieved by Zach Mettenberger, who was injured Saturday and replaced by Brandon Silvers. Silvers completed 23 of 37 passes for 242 yards, a touchdown and zero interceptions against Salt Lake.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26283668/manziel-play-singletary-aaf-express

Last edited:
You beat me to it, Phindog! I was coming here to post this. :cheers:

I wish him the very best, and this gives me some hope that his sudden exit from the CFL was the result of careful planning, rather than a sign that he is back to his old ways. Come on, Johnny - turn your life around and start fulfilling your potential. A lot of people know how hard it is to beat an addiction and are cheering for you. :)

This was about Vernon Davis. I can't imagine how brutal the post Manziel presser will be.

Say's he can play on any level, but does he still party at any level?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manziel confident he still can play 'at any level'

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Johnny Manziel says he remains confident in his ability to play football "at any level" as he attempts another comeback, this time with the Alliance of American Football's Memphis Express.

An introductory media conference was held Tuesday in Memphis for Manziel, who agreed over the weekend to join the new league. Manziel, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2012 and was a first-round draft pick in 2014, dealt with a series of off-field issues during his stints in the NFL and CFL.

"My confidence level is high,'' Manziel said. "I believe I still have a unique skill set and still have the ability to play at any level anywhere.''

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26310620/manziel-confident-play-level

I'm pretty sure Johnny deliberately violated his CFL contract terms (he missed some meetings with counselors) so his contract would be voided and he could sign with AAF. Up til his release, he had been on pretty good behaviour with both the Ticats and the Alouettes, so he is capable of staying on the straight and narrow.

Having said that, he didn't show any capability of playing football in the CFL. The big field in the CFL showed up his marginal arm strength, and he never did get his reads or accuracy down. Worse yet, for a mobile QB, he never figured out when to run and when to stand and deliver. He was constantly doing the wrong thing and was sacked numerous times unnecessarily, The CFL will reward fast QB's who tuck and take off, but Johnny seemed reluctant. When he did run, it was often too late, and with the speedy defenses he was clobbered a few times. Overall, it was pretty bad. I dunno - maybe his familiarity with American football will get him back in his groove, but up here he was really underwhelming.

Every throw and run by Johnny Football in his first AAF game.

It's a very limited sample size, but he's looking smooth, confident and not too rusty. Very small sample, but at least he wasn't bad.

Every throw and run by Johnny Football in his first AAF game.

It's a very limited sample size, but he's looking smooth, confident and not too rusty. Very small sample, but at least he wasn't bad.

Not bad, He looked very Johnny-like.

If this kid can climb back to the NFL it would be a miracle.

Express QB Manziel ruled out with head injury in first Qtr.

Quarterback Johnny Manziel of the Memphis Express left Saturday's Alliance of American Football (AAF) game against Orlando after suffering a head injury and was later ruled out for the rest of the game.

Manziel suffered the injury making a tackle after throwing an interception in the first quarter.

He rushed for 18 yards on three carries and was 2-for-3 passing with an interception.

Memphis lost the game, 34-31.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26399345/express-qb-manziel-ruled-head-injury

High def of Johnny getting concussed.

That did not look good. In the slo-mo, you can't even see where the guy hit Johnny's head - the impact is not even noticeable, and yet he's out like a light.

I will say this - once you've been concussed, the next time is always easier. And believe me - he's has been concussed before:

Back
Top Bottom