Hey Guys, Ogunleye CANNOT be traded... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hey Guys, Ogunleye CANNOT be traded...

Stamos

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I've read alot of posts recently conjuring up trade scenarios. You can not trade a restricted free agent. Yes we could receive COMPENSATION for him, but not in a "trade".

Just thought I'd clear that up for a couple of people.

he's a free agent, the guy can sign an offer sheet with any team he wants.

Unless I am SORELY mistaken, and there is a rule pertaining to trading of restricted free agents, which I've never seen, and I've read the collective bargaining agreement countless times.

Theoretically it wouldn't make any sense either, how could you trade a player who isn't under contract, its not like we own his exclusive rights.

I am correct. Aside from the fact that I've never seen such a written rule. It just makes no sense whatsoever to trade an NFL player who isn't under contract. Not like the whole Drew Henson scenario in which Houston actually owns his rights. Which by my clock, is for another 44 days.

You can trade a RFA so long as you tender him a contract. For example last year the Falcons trade Mark Simoneau, a RFA, to the Eagles for a 4th & 6th round draft pick. There is no such compensation for a RFA.

Article XIX, Section 3, page 64

(h) No Consideration Between Clubs. There may be no consideration of any kind given by one Club to another Club in exchange for a Club’s decision to exercise or not to exercise its Right of First Refusal, or in exchange for a Club’s decision to submit or not to submit an Offer Sheet to a Restricted Free Agent or to make or not to make an offer to enter into a Player Contract with a Restricted Free Agent. If a Club exercises its Right of First Refusal and matches an Offer Sheet, that Club may not trade that player to the Club that submitted the Offer Sheet for at least one calendar year, unless the player consents to such trade

He can be traded per the last sentence. However, the Fins would be responsible for any accelerated signing bonus

Scroll down to the LB section.

http://kffl.com/article.php/1044/151

"The depth again was evident, when the Falcons traded restricted free agent Mark Simoneau to Philadelphia for a sixth-round pick this season and a fourth-round pick next year. A backup in Atlanta, Simoneau is expected to start this season for the Eagles, which boasted one of the NFL's best defenses in 2002."

Originally posted by SMadison29
You can trade a RFA so long as you tender him a contract. For example last year the Falcons trade Mark Simoneau, a RFA, to the Eagles for a 4th & 6th round draft pick. There is no such compensation for a RFA.

I believe the Falcons signed him to the 1 yr tender and then right before the draft, traded him. Then the Eagles signed him to the long term deal

Originally posted by Stamos
I am correct. Aside from the fact that I've never seen such a written rule. It just makes no sense whatsoever to trade an NFL player who isn't under contract. Not like the whole Drew Henson scenario in which Houston actually owns his rights. Which by my clock, is for another 44 days.

That's EXACTLY what a restricted free agent is... a modified version of exclusive bargaining rights and such players CAN and HAVE been traded.

See: http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1368559.html

Of the 104 restricted free agents league-wide this spring only one has changed teams by traditional method. That was former Pittsburgh kicker Kris Brown, who inked a four-year, $4.7 million offer sheet with the Houston Texans that the Steelers opted not to match. Two others, wide receiver D'Wayne Bates of Chicago and guard David Loverne of the New York Jets were restricted free agents who switched team by unconventional methods.

Loverne was traded to Washington in a deal in which the Redskins and Jets also flipped spots in the fifth round of the 2002 draft.

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet

I believe the Falcons signed him to the 1 yr tender and then right before the draft, traded him. Then the Eagles signed him to the long term deal

Thats a whole another issue, which I wouldn't contest if the player signed the 1 year tender.

Good facts. Almost every year, teams work out deals to trade a RFA that they can't pay big bucks to, but the other team doesn't want to give up the full draft picks. It allows the player to play the market and teams to arrive at a truer value of the player (e.g., he may be worth a # 1 pick, but perhaps not a 1 and a 3 - even though tendered that amount).

The way we'd trade him is have another team work out a deal with him. Have him sign the tender offer with us, then we'd trade him for the bargained amount from the new team. O-Gun would then sign the deal he agreed to with the new team.

Essentially the same thing Buffalo did with Peerless Price in allowing Price to negotiate a deal with Atlanta and then get a first for him in a trade after he signed his franchise offer from Buffalo.

O-Gun either goes this year for a first, or next year in the exact same thing that Price went for. A franchise and trade deal.

Back
Top Bottom