Hey guys, remember when in '99......... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hey guys, remember when in '99.........

brent

Starter
Reaction score
Opening game in Denver with a young second year QB named Griese started. On the first Bronco series Griese smoked Marion and Shawn Wooden deep down the middle to a streaking Rod Smith. Apparently JJ and Wanny didn't think SOB had the arm to throw it deep, they were dead wrong on that one. Oh well, the fish pounded Griese the rest of the game. Mostly Zach and JT. Zach sacked SOB for huge lost on a 4th and long to seal that one.

we had spotted BGs tendency to step foward after the drop back. he didn't just step into a throw. he had a pattern. 3 step drop - step up. 4 step drop - step up. the D-line was greeting him with hugs all day. i wonder if he still has that habit. i had thought to look for it, then i forgot. i was distracted by fire situation i guess.

Wanny was our O coordinator that year if I am not mistaken

Wanny was an assistant HC with a focus on Defense in '99. Doesn't know a thing about offense to this day. Hired Chan and then Norv to do that job!

Originally posted by brent
Wanny was an assistant HC with a focus on Defense in '99. Doesn't know a thing about offense to this day. Hired Chan and then Norv to do that job!
i have to admit, brian has a better arm, but only time will tell if he gets on the same page as the receivers. anything over 15 yds was awash monday night!:rolleyes:

Griese did nail Chambers on that 49 yard completion, I believe that was thrown over 15 yards. He also hit Derrius Thompson right in the hands over the shoulder, which Derrius than dropped. Those two passes there show how accurate he can be.

I think it is the receivers who need to adjust. I think some of them were surised that when they made their cuts, the ball was already there. That happened to Chambers on a couple plays. He will catch those this week.

Originally posted by A/C Dorsal
i wonder if he still has that habit. i had thought to look for it, then i forgot. i was distracted by fire situation i guess.

Well, he had it last year. And it was a key to JT's success. During the game, the ESPN guys were talking about how JT told them that Brian would drop back 9 and then step up 2. So JT would just try and get himself to 7. And it worked.

Originally posted by Muck

Well, he had it last year. And it was a key to JT's success. During the game, the ESPN guys were talking about how JT told them that Brian would drop back 9 and then step up 2. So JT would just try and get himself to 7. And it worked.
i can't say exactly how many yards it was, but monday night he would drop back and have to step up 2 to throw! EVERYTIME!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Samphin
Griese did nail Chambers on that 49 yard completion, I believe that was thrown over 15 yards. He also hit Derrius Thompson right in the hands over the shoulder, which Derrius than dropped. Those two passes there show how accurate he can be.

That play was almost all YAC. I think it was a 15 yard throw and then Chambers ran the rest if I remember correctly.

The point is that long gainer to Chambers was in stride and on time which allowed CC to break up field clean. Fielder's throws are almost alway to where the recievers have to go half speed in order to catch the ball.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

That play was almost all YAC. I think it was a 15 yard throw and then Chambers ran the rest if I remember correctly.

I'm not knocking Jay, but usually when Chambers crosses the middle like that he throws the ball high. Take the Denver game in 2002, for example. Fiedler isn't good at hitting receivers in stride at all, which is his main problem.

That was my point. Griese hit Chambers on target and gave him a chance to run. A lot of times, Fiedler could get the ball there but that was it, no yards after the catch. He would have them hit a jump ball for it and that was the end of the play.

Also, don't forget that pass to Thompson, He put it in the absolute perfect spot, Thompson almost came down with it but dropped it. That would have been for about 20 yards or so.

Back
Top Bottom