HEY, WILLIE! At least the Dolphins have a plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HEY, WILLIE! At least the Dolphins have a plan

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
For a minute there Sunday, that plan looked to be in danger. Actually it was closer to four minutes — that brief period of time when the 2019 Miami Dolphins found themselves leading a football game.

Needless to say, that 7-3 lead became a 10-7 deficit on the Dolphins’ way to a 30-10 loss to the Chargers and an 0-4 start to this season’s utter tear-down. There’s no turning back now; the structural foundation has been breached and the beams fully compromised — nothing left to do but run for cover and not get anything on your shoes.

If this were chess, by the way, Miami would’ve traded away its queen, both bishops and at least one knight.

In a perfect world, the Dolphins will discover that Josh Rosen is the long-term answer at QB — assuming he remains in one piece — and then trade the 2020 top pick for proven talent ... or, given the Dolphins’ occasional aptitude, trade it for a bag of magic beans.

We are not quite Browns 2.0 just yet. We would almost have to try to suck at drafting to be as bad as they were for several years.

As average as we have been, we have never swung and missed as much in the first round for so many consecutive years.

Browns 1st round picks....

1-21 Phil Taylor
1-3 Trent Richardson
1-21 Brandon Weeden
1-6 Barkevious Mingo
1-8 Justin Gilbert
1-22 Johny Manziel
1-12 Danny Shelton
1-19 Cameron Erving
1-15 Cory Coleman

I wouldn't trade Laremy Tunsil for that whole bunch.

They didn't start to pull out of it until 2017 when they landed Myles Garrett at 1 overall but then they followed up with Jabril Peppers at 1-25 and David Njoku at 1-29.

We are not quite Browns 2.0 just yet. We would almost have to try to suck at drafting to be as bad as they were for several years.

As average as we have been, we have never swung and missed as much in the first round for so many consecutive years.

1-21 Phil Taylor
1-3 Trent Richardson
1-21 Brandon Weeden
1-6 Barkevious Mingo
1-8 Justin Gilbert
1-22 Johny Manziel
1-12 Danny Shelton
1-19 Cameron Erving
1-15 Cory Coleman

They didn't start to pull out of it until 2017 when they landed Myles Garrett at 1 overall but then they followed up with Jabril Peppers at 1-25 and David Njoku at 1-29.

People think of Cleveland immediately as exhibit A of having all those high picks and striking out on so many. I think that would be really hard to replicate, at least I hope so, In MIA’s case.

Njoku has been hurt but during his injury he has caught the same number of TDs as Gesicki has over his 20 game career.

1-21 Phil Taylor
1-3 Trent Richardson
1-21 Brandon Weeden
1-6 Barkevious Mingo
1-8 Justin Gilbert
1-22 Johny Manziel
1-12 Danny Shelton
1-19 Cameron Erving
1-15 Cory Coleman

I may be a minority of one, but a lot of the NFL is luck, and I don't mean Andrew. every team wants an elite HC and elite QB. Few get them. A large part of that is luck. That's why teams can go through 5-10 HCs and 20 QBs before they find 'the' guy. Go through any 3 year period, list the number of hired HCs and the number who have taken a below average team to consistent playoffs.
Drafting? It's been said elsewhere only 40% of top 10 picks are named to ONE All Pro team. Not 1st string. Just named to ANY All Pro list. That's a significant 'fail' rate, yet some delude themselves into thinking evey other team's top pick will be a consistent All Pro. Luck is involved, regardless how few want to accept it.
Yes, better teams seem to have good luck. Part of that is better evaluation, part is the rookie is on a solid team, but part is luck.

With the hit/miss rate on draft picks, I hope this fan base is prepared for some misses; it just happens. But the key is frequent trade downs with these high picks. Even with the misses, you pick more guys, you have a better chance of hitting more. You can't do what the Raiders did last draft, just sit pat and pick with those 3 picks. Good god, I was STUNNED they did that.
But trade for tons more choices, all through the draft, and just pull in motherloads of guys. Even the best of drafters blow it, just make it easier to digest by missing on 5 of twelve rather than 5 of 8.

With the hit/miss rate on draft picks, I hope this fan base is prepared for some misses; it just happens. But the key is frequent trade downs with these high picks. Even with the misses, you pick more guys, you have a better chance of hitting more. You can't do what the Raiders did last draft, just sit pat and pick with those 3 picks. Good god, I was STUNNED they did that.
But trade for tons more choices, all through the draft, and just pull in motherloads of guys. Even the best of drafters blow it, just make it easier to digest by missing on 5 of twelve rather than 5 of 8.

100% agree.

That needs to be the blue print moving forward, not just these next two drafts.

We need to hit on at least 2 cornerstone players (QB, DE, T, WR) this draft to avoid being a comparison to the Brownies...

1-21 Phil Taylor
1-3 Trent Richardson
1-21 Brandon Weeden
1-6 Barkevious Mingo
1-8 Justin Gilbert
1-22 Johny Manziel
1-12 Danny Shelton
1-19 Cameron Erving
1-15 Cory Coleman

Its funny what they did there too.

In 2011 they had the #6 pick which they traded to ATL (who took Julio Jones) for their first, second and 4th round picks, along with their 1st and 4th round picks in 2012. They moved up to grab Taylor while Cam Jordan and Mark ingram were still on the board. (Among other eventual probowlers.)

So in 2012 they had 2 first round picks. They trade up one spot to grab Richardson (After both Luck and RG3 were gone.) Missing out on Tannehill, they drafted Brandon Weeden...

2013 they took Mingo, but lost their 2nd round pick taking Josh Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft.

2014 was a disaster for them. The Browns would have picked 4th, but swapped picks with Buffalo, who drafted Sammy Watkins (They got Buffalos 2015 first and 4th round picks.) They traded up to 8 to select Gilbert, the next 9 players selected made probowls. And then the traded up yet again, to acquire Johnny Football. To rub salt in the wound, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Jimmy G all were available at the #26 spot (A pick they got from Indy)

2015 Shelton and Erving, but in their defense, it wasnt a very strong draft.

2016 they ****ed up royally. Trading the 2nd pick of the draft for the proverbial "king's ransom" Philly took Carson Wentz. So the Browns took Corey Coleman.

In 2017 they took Garrett. While he is a great player, they passed on Star QB prospects Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and even Mitch Trubisky. Instead waiting until the middle of the second round to draft Deshone Kizer.

Enter new management.

I agree to an extent.

If you need a QB, you take him, dont try to mess around with trades. I might say the same for a pass rusher or an elite CB, but outside of those 3 positions, im with you.

I will add, that they have to get the QB pick right with one of those picks. If they have the first pick, they need to take a shot at whoever they believe is the best QB in the draft. With the rest of their picks, I agree with you, use those picks to match value with the player you are picking and even stockpile more picks for the following draft if possible.

Its funny what they did there too.

In 2011 they had the #6 pick which they traded to ATL (who took Julio Jones) for their first, second and 4th round picks, along with their 1st and 4th round picks in 2012. They moved up to grab Taylor while Cam Jordan and Mark ingram were still on the board. (Among other eventual probowlers.)

So in 2012 they had 2 first round picks. They trade up one spot to grab Richardson (After both Luck and RG3 were gone.) Missing out on Tannehill, they drafted Brandon Weeden...

2013 they took Mingo, but lost their 2nd round pick taking Josh Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft.

2014 was a disaster for them. The Browns would have picked 4th, but swapped picks with Buffalo, who drafted Sammy Watkins (They got Buffalos 2015 first and 4th round picks.) They traded up to 8 to select Gilbert, the next 9 players selected made probowls. And then the traded up yet again, to acquire Johnny Football. To rub salt in the wound, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Jimmy G all were available at the #26 spot (A pick they got from Indy)

2015 Shelton and Erving, but in their defense, it wasnt a very strong draft.

2016 they ****ed up royally. Trading the 2nd pick of the draft for the proverbial "king's ransom" Philly took Carson Wentz. So the Browns took Corey Coleman.

In 2017 they took Garrett. While he is a great player, they passed on Star QB prospects Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and even Mitch Trubisky. Instead waiting until the middle of the second round to draft Deshone Kizer.

Enter new management.

Nice work.

We need to hit on at least 2 cornerstone players (QB, DE, T, WR) this draft to avoid being a comparison to the Brownies...

Most will say if you find 3 quality/decent starters in each draft, its a very good draft. With all the picks we have this year, we need to find at least 5, IMO.

Enter new management.
Mitch Trubisky is not a star and doesn't belong on a list with Mahomes and Watson. If anything they should get credit for not taking him.

Back
Top Bottom