HEY, WILLIE! At least the Dolphins have a plan | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HEY, WILLIE! At least the Dolphins have a plan

Mitch Trubisky is not a star and doesn't belong on a list with Mahomes and Watson. If anything they should get credit for not taking him.

Compared to what they had at the time he was a big upgrade. He also managed to make a probowl.

But I agree. The book isnt written on those guys yet.

They're talkin' bout Willie Loman right?
Lol the op article is a reader write in , where they ask questions. It's from the Daytona news journal, not exactly top notch editorial stuff. I've been reading Willie since I was about 12 years old. He's just a local beat guy here in Daytona, high school, local college sports etc.

If we can get our franchise QB and a stud pass rusher that would be a successful draft. Easier said than done.

People think of Cleveland immediately as exhibit A of having all those high picks and striking out on so many. I think that would be really hard to replicate, at least I hope so, In MIA’s case.
believe it or not sushi Brown did a good job with acquiring picks and cleaning out the salary cap. the massive issue was that he was an attorney and not a football mind. The scouts do their work but the fact this guy had limited if any experience in that field was the equivalent of playing Russian roulette with a fully loaded gun. That's the big reason they missed on so many players. Should have had a football mind overseeing that section of the team

Its funny what they did there too.

In 2011 they had the #6 pick which they traded to ATL (who took Julio Jones) for their first, second and 4th round picks, along with their 1st and 4th round picks in 2012. They moved up to grab Taylor while Cam Jordan and Mark ingram were still on the board. (Among other eventual probowlers.)

So in 2012 they had 2 first round picks. They trade up one spot to grab Richardson (After both Luck and RG3 were gone.) Missing out on Tannehill, they drafted Brandon Weeden...

2013 they took Mingo, but lost their 2nd round pick taking Josh Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft.

2014 was a disaster for them. The Browns would have picked 4th, but swapped picks with Buffalo, who drafted Sammy Watkins (They got Buffalos 2015 first and 4th round picks.) They traded up to 8 to select Gilbert, the next 9 players selected made probowls. And then the traded up yet again, to acquire Johnny Football. To rub salt in the wound, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Jimmy G all were available at the #26 spot (A pick they got from Indy)

2015 Shelton and Erving, but in their defense, it wasnt a very strong draft.

2016 they ****ed up royally. Trading the 2nd pick of the draft for the proverbial "king's ransom" Philly took Carson Wentz. So the Browns took Corey Coleman.

In 2017 they took Garrett. While he is a great player, they passed on Star QB prospects Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and even Mitch Trubisky. Instead waiting until the middle of the second round to draft Deshone Kizer.

Enter new management.

You see? Right there, this is evidence that no matter your trades or how many draft picks you accumulate, you have to draft good players. Traded Philly, Philly got Carson Wentz. If we have the number 1 pick and Tua is there, you take Tua. You don’t even think about trading that pick. We have plenty of draft picks, and whilst a trade down or two could be okay, it really depends who’s on the board. At some point you have to pick good players and not outsmart yourself.

With the hit/miss rate on draft picks, I hope this fan base is prepared for some misses; it just happens. But the key is frequent trade downs with these high picks. Even with the misses, you pick more guys, you have a better chance of hitting more. You can't do what the Raiders did last draft, just sit pat and pick with those 3 picks. Good god, I was STUNNED they did that.
But trade for tons more choices, all through the draft, and just pull in motherloads of guys. Even the best of drafters blow it, just make it easier to digest by missing on 5 of twelve rather than 5 of 8.
I read somewhere that an excellent draft has a 60% hit rate (60% of draft picks become starters or can play in starting roles).

That’s just plain old poor drafting although they’d have gotten me with one of those...

Mingo.

I did like Phil Taylor also and he was pretty solid for a while there

I will add, that they have to get the QB pick right with one of those picks. If they have the first pick, they need to take a shot at whoever they believe is the best QB in the draft. With the rest of their picks, I agree with you, use those picks to match value with the player you are picking and even stockpile more picks for the following draft if possible.
They really don't. Do not play games with top picks like that. If, at the end of the season, the Dolphins feel that Rosen is either their guy or has show enough to test him with better support next year than it would be futile to take any QB that high. They most likely (as they should) put one or two of their 1st round pick up for grabs. They will get a ransom for it. It will increase our chances of getting enough impact players in the draft and will shorten our rebuild by a year.

The only time I want them to draft a QB in the top 10 is if they deem Rosen not a future franchise QB or have completely eliminate that possibility.

With the hit/miss rate on draft picks, I hope this fan base is prepared for some misses; it just happens. But the key is frequent trade downs with these high picks. Even with the misses, you pick more guys, you have a better chance of hitting more. You can't do what the Raiders did last draft, just sit pat and pick with those 3 picks. Good god, I was STUNNED they did that.
But trade for tons more choices, all through the draft, and just pull in motherloads of guys. Even the best of drafters blow it, just make it easier to digest by missing on 5 of twelve rather than 5 of 8.
That's exactly why if we don't have the #1 pick next year I don't want to use a ton of the draft capital we've acquired to move up to number one and take Tua or another player. Trade back and get some more high picks and double down on qb in the 1st and 2nd rounds and let the two of them compete with Rosen for next season's starter.

In 2011 they had the #6 pick which they traded to ATL (who took Julio Jones) for their first, second and 4th round picks, along with their 1st and 4th round picks in 2012. They moved up to grab Taylor while Cam Jordan and Mark ingram were still on the board. (Among other eventual probowlers.)

So in 2012 they had 2 first round picks. They trade up one spot to grab Richardson (After both Luck and RG3 were gone.) Missing out on Tannehill, they drafted Brandon Weeden...

2013 they took Mingo, but lost their 2nd round pick taking Josh Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft.

2014 was a disaster for them. The Browns would have picked 4th, but swapped picks with Buffalo, who drafted Sammy Watkins (They got Buffalos 2015 first and 4th round picks.) They traded up to 8 to select Gilbert, the next 9 players selected made probowls. And then the traded up yet again, to acquire Johnny Football. To rub salt in the wound, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Jimmy G all were available at the #26 spot (A pick they got from Indy)

2016 they ****ed up royally. Trading the 2nd pick of the draft for the proverbial "king's ransom" Philly took Carson Wentz. So the Browns took Corey Coleman.

In 2017 they took Garrett. While he is a great player, they passed on Star QB prospects Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and even Mitch Trubisky. Instead waiting until the middle of the second round to draft Deshone Kizer.

Enter new management.

Good read

They really don't. Do not play games with top picks like that. If, at the end of the season, the Dolphins feel that Rosen is either their guy or has show enough to test him with better support next year than it would be futile to take any QB that high. They most likely (as they should) put one or two of their 1st round pick up for grabs. They will get a ransom for it. It will increase our chances of getting enough impact players in the draft and will shorten our rebuild by a year.

The only time I want them to draft a QB in the top 10 is if they deem Rosen not a future franchise QB or have completely eliminate that possibility.
I think Miami has shown, by their actions, that they don't deem Rosen a franchise QB. I think Rosen's play in the NFL so far has deemed that also.

Enter new management.
Kizer Wilhelm of Germany was a better QB than Deshone. What a disastrous draft history. Eerily similar to another team I know...

Back
Top Bottom