HEY, WILLIE! At least the Dolphins have a plan | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

HEY, WILLIE! At least the Dolphins have a plan

Its funny what they did there too.

In 2011 they had the #6 pick which they traded to ATL (who took Julio Jones) for their first, second and 4th round picks, along with their 1st and 4th round picks in 2012. They moved up to grab Taylor while Cam Jordan and Mark ingram were still on the board. (Among other eventual probowlers.)

So in 2012 they had 2 first round picks. They trade up one spot to grab Richardson (After both Luck and RG3 were gone.) Missing out on Tannehill, they drafted Brandon Weeden...

2013 they took Mingo, but lost their 2nd round pick taking Josh Gordon in the 2012 supplemental draft.

2014 was a disaster for them. The Browns would have picked 4th, but swapped picks with Buffalo, who drafted Sammy Watkins (They got Buffalos 2015 first and 4th round picks.) They traded up to 8 to select Gilbert, the next 9 players selected made probowls. And then the traded up yet again, to acquire Johnny Football. To rub salt in the wound, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, and Jimmy G all were available at the #26 spot (A pick they got from Indy)

2015 Shelton and Erving, but in their defense, it wasnt a very strong draft.

2016 they ****ed up royally. Trading the 2nd pick of the draft for the proverbial "king's ransom" Philly took Carson Wentz. So the Browns took Corey Coleman.

In 2017 they took Garrett. While he is a great player, they passed on Star QB prospects Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, and even Mitch Trubisky. Instead waiting until the middle of the second round to draft Deshone Kizer.

Enter new management.
I for one do not trade my acquired Firsts picks for more 2nds and Thirds for this reason - the cream is still at the top - I hold and make the bpa pick so not Need

That's exactly why if we don't have the #1 pick next year I don't want to use a ton of the draft capital we've acquired to move up to number one and take Tua or another player. Trade back and get some more high picks and double down on qb in the 1st and 2nd rounds and let the two of them compete with Rosen for next season's starter.
Double down on crap QBs - no thanks
Build a D
Keep Rosen and run the ball - 3 downs and a cloud of dust

With the hit/miss rate on draft picks, I hope this fan base is prepared for some misses; it just happens. But the key is frequent trade downs with these high picks. Even with the misses, you pick more guys, you have a better chance of hitting more. You can't do what the Raiders did last draft, just sit pat and pick with those 3 picks. Good god, I was STUNNED they did that.
But trade for tons more choices, all through the draft, and just pull in motherloads of guys. Even the best of drafters blow it, just make it easier to digest by missing on 5 of twelve rather than 5 of 8.

You minimize your mistakes in drafting by doing your homework and having quality evaluators...choosing players that produce in college and are not injury prone.

The thing I hate the most is drafting a player on potential who didn’t produce at a great level...just because he’s a freak athlete...or choosing players that have injury red flags.

I for one do not trade my acquired Firsts picks for more 2nds and Thirds for this reason - the cream is still at the top - I hold and make the bpa pick so not Need

I like the thought but I think I would be willing to part with that 3rd #1 to fill some immediate needs and add future picks. IE. Trade pick for a 2nd and 3rd this year and a #1 next. Just saying.

I like the thought but I think I would be willing to part with that 3rd #1 to fill some immediate needs and add future picks. IE. Trade pick for a 2nd and 3rd this year and a #1 next. Just saying.

Hard to say until you get to draft day and see where the picks actually are...and who is available at the pick.

Still sticks in my head Jimmy trading down for John Avery and missing out on Randy Moss.

or missing out on Earl Thomas for another bust.

By the way...Jimmy also missed out Ray Lewis for a Daryl Gardener...he was far from a great drafter here.

Most will say if you find 3 quality/decent starters in each draft, its a very good draft. With all the picks we have this year, we need to find at least 5, IMO.
Right now we have 12 picks in 2020. To have a decent draft we should hit at least on 6 of them (50%). We hit on 7 (60%) we had an outstanding draft.
That's why I am advocating trading one of our 1st round picks to increase our chances to find quality/starting players. But we won't exactly know what our draft strategy will be until after the FA. We may fill some important needs in FA.

Even this season is important and a lot can be learned from. While literally everybody says "rah rah we suck" and "rah rah we are the worst team ever" there is a lot to be learned from this team. Some will never play another down in the NFL after this year. Some will be PS players forever. But some may turn into decent players, marginal starters but more so solid supporting cast.
So with the current season, the huge cap space we will have it will be interesting to see what our draft strategy will be.

It is very hard right now to find good quality posts in this forum. It seems like the collective IQ has dropped this year but if you look you find them. I know it is against the TOS to call out posters who haven't posted in a thread but I guess a compliment can be exempt from that rule.
One of the posters I enjoy this year (and do I dare say it.....do I say it? :lol: ) is @hoops . If you do not know the history between us...well. But his posts and some of his evaluations this year are a delight. He made me pay attention to a few players this year which I did not even pay attention before.
There are a couple others (@Jerrysanders is another one) who make the effort to evaluate a ..... mmmmmmhhh.... substandard team (to say it nicely).

Obviously, great point made by a prior poster; if there is a guy at a spot who is a perfect fit, clean injury history, and great value, you don't trade out for the sake of trading out. But when possible, just considering the amount of holes we have, we have to add picks. I'd say we would want to come out of this draft with 14 new players(Honestly, I don't even know how many picks we have at this point) Maybe more. With hopefully 2 or 3 picks flipped into next year as well. This is the year we have to go for that "transformational draft"; the year that sets that core of guys that we will be rolling with for the next 5 plus years. I would also say next year's draft falls in there as well. It is a two year window with an envy-inspiring quantity of picks and cap space. Best of all- it is deep enough to allow us to roll picks down the road to set us up well for beyond next year.
It is a draft situation I have dreamt about since Saban took over in 2005.

With the hit/miss rate on draft picks, I hope this fan base is prepared for some misses; it just happens. But the key is frequent trade downs with these high picks. Even with the misses, you pick more guys, you have a better chance of hitting more. You can't do what the Raiders did last draft, just sit pat and pick with those 3 picks. Good god, I was STUNNED they did that.
But trade for tons more choices, all through the draft, and just pull in motherloads of guys. Even the best of drafters blow it, just make it easier to digest by missing on 5 of twelve rather than 5 of 8.
It's not so much the misses as it is the questionable selections. Seemed obvious when Charles Harris and gesicki were picked that they reached. Heck let's go back to pat white, Jason Allen, Ted ginn, Eddie Moore over obvious anquan bolding, Jamar Fletcher. Different regimes I know, just this franchise...

In that case I still have my first albeit for next year so yes I agree with your process

We are not quite Browns 2.0 just yet. We would almost have to try to suck at drafting to be as bad as they were for several years.

As average as we have been, we have never swung and missed as much in the first round for so many consecutive years.

Browns 1st round picks....

1-21 Phil Taylor
1-3 Trent Richardson
1-21 Brandon Weeden
1-6 Barkevious Mingo
1-8 Justin Gilbert
1-22 Johny Manziel
1-12 Danny Shelton
1-19 Cameron Erving
1-15 Cory Coleman

I wouldn't trade Laremy Tunsil for that whole bunch.

They didn't start to pull out of it until 2017 when they landed Myles Garrett at 1 overall but then they followed up with Jabril Peppers at 1-25 and David Njoku at 1-29.

Thanks.
The list made me laugh.
We're not so stinking bad!

Yah I get you Trinidad

If lol

If he wants to double down on QBs - in the later first rd - just build a D and let Rosen hand off

You kno who I want and why lol

And welcome to the Cult!!~

I love the idea of having two top ten QB’s on the roster for a couple years...don’t get why some are opposed...it works financially.

Back
Top Bottom