High draft pick or a victory? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

High draft pick or a victory?

Well Cleveland has been picking in the top 10 for the past 50 years, and the higher pick isn’t helping them any.

Win. It’s not like you can’t find value in a draft

If there's no chance for a deep playoff run you want the draft pick ... every time. It's the difference between what you want and what you're left with - Martin vs James, anyone? Since there is little faith in Tannenbaum getting it right, a better analogy might be it's harder to brick a dunk than it is a layup.

If they're so bad at drafting, you want to make it easier for them to not **** it up. Not harder. Draft pick. Every time.

Eh, when the season is lost, I care more about seeing how the younger players are developing than I do about winning meaningless games or even draft picks, so I get enjoyment out of it either way. I don't really root for or against winning at that point. If we're winning games like yesterday, it means there's some positives to build on next season. I also enjoy watching other NFL games, so my season is never fully ruined until the Pats win the SB.

Side note, basing views of the draft on what we've done in previous years only makes sense if it's the same people making the picks. So, basing it on anything pre-Tbum doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If Tbum--Flying Spaghetti Monster-willing--is fired, it makes no sense to assume the next GM will make similar decisions. If this team is doomed to draft poorly forever, then there's not point rooting for it at all, because it will never contend for anything.

I don't think seriously about the draft and our position in it until the season is over. Like a few have already said, high draft picks are probably less than a 50/50 proposition to give the team a chance at a Super Bowl in the next couple of years. There are more holes than what a top 10 pick can fill.

Well Cleveland has been picking in the top 10 for the past 50 years, and the higher pick isn’t helping them any.

Win. It’s not like you can’t find value in a draft

Is that because of where they were drafting or how they were drafting? Would they have fared better if they were picking later? Of course not. Probably worse. The argument makes no sense.

Also, they've been drafting pretty well recently. It's not showing yet because the team is very young, but the pieces are clearly there. Youngest team in the league. Meanwhile, we rely on overpaid vets (4th oldest team).

Like Gonzo touched on . . . I root for seeing young players have success in game situations at this point. If that comes with wins or losses, it is all gravy either way. However, Next week is the Pats in our building . . . I would love nothing more than to beat the brakes off of them.

Feel bad for you if you actually rather see us lose or think winning hurts us. I mean seriously when we have had top tier draft positioning we have either hit singles or struck out, so I am going to enjoy the team before they hit us all with that 8 month layoff.

When I see Mccain, X and Tank play well. Drake, Kenny, Juice . . . guys on the line like Tunsil and Davis having good games. Phillips, Taylor, Harris and those guys all getting in the mix, knowing they are all 25 and younger . . . I feel good about it and I shouldn't have to feel silly for feeling good about my team winning a damn game because maybe we pick 12th instead of 9th now.

Is that because of where they were drafting or how they were drafting? Would they have fared better if they were picking later? Of course not. Probably worse. The argument makes no sense.
And you think Tannenbaum will do any better given a high draft pick? The argument makes no sense.

And you think Tannenbaum will do any better given a high draft pick? The argument makes no sense.

He would have had a higher likelihood of lucking into a good pick, yes, because the best talent is available earlier. But I've already made the argument that the team is better off with somebody else making the pick, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Also, they've been drafting pretty well recently. It's not showing yet because the team is very young, but the pieces are clearly there. Youngest team in the league. Meanwhile, we rely on overpaid vets (4th oldest team).

Just as many pro bowlers have been selected in the 2nd half of the first round as the 1st half. The idea that a top 10 pick guarantees success is silly

can't attract free agents at 4-12. might as well trade up if they really want someone

Higher draft picks always gives you a better chance for success, except Ireland of course. You always play to win, there is no prize or trophy for loosing.

I'm always down with the tank for all of my teams once the playoffs become unrealistic. But yeah.... When you stink the joint up the way we have lately.... It's nice to get a nice win, especially a blowout, in front of the fans. I actually felt good yesterday after the game.

In the last 17 years the patriots have had no RD1 pick five of those years, and selected lower than 20 only twice.

So in those 17 years they have made 15 RD1 selections (all but 2 being pick 20 or higher) and of those 15....8 have been probowl caliber players.

Maybe it has something you do with what you do with who you draft. We have shown far too large of a propensity to misuse players to worry about 5-6 draft pick positions. We've been getting some good things from the last 2 years and i see the trend going up.

Back
Top Bottom