Hindsight | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hindsight

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
I know everyone has a good fealing about last years draft because of Chambers, but if you back at pick for pick it was quite horrible. Sure Chambers will be a star for a long time, and Greenwood may turn out to be an adequate starter, but what else did we get? Minor showed flashes of excitement last year, but it doesnt look good for him doing it again. RW is a every down back, so if he stays healthy and Edwards knee holds up enough to make the team the only thing Minor will add is a good special teams player. Fletcher had injury problems so i will cut him a little slack, but he hardly looked promising. When he wasn't holding he was getting burnt repeatedly by Moulds and Harrison, and has shown no sign that he will even be a good 3rd down corner. Then there was the 2nd day of the draft, oh man was it horrible. No 4th round pick or 7th but we had a 5th and 3 6 rounders. Only 1 of those players made our roster. Now granted you can't expect much from the 2nd day, but a good coach will usually find 1 player that comes from no where to have a big impact, and another to make the team. We didn't even have one make it on the playing feild. I hope Rick and Dave brought in some new scouts this season. Since we don't have much to work with the preasure is on.

Originally posted by Dajesus
I know everyone has a good fealing about last years draft because of Chambers, but if you back at pick for pick it was quite horrible. Sure Chambers will be a star for a long time, and Greenwood may turn out to be an adequate starter, but what else did we get? Minor showed flashes of excitement last year, but it doesnt look good for him doing it again. RW is a every down back, so if he stays healthy and Edwards knee holds up enough to make the team the only thing Minor will add is a good special teams player. Fletcher had injury problems so i will cut him a little slack, but he hardly looked promising. When he wasn't holding he was getting burnt repeatedly by Moulds and Harrison, and has shown no sign that he will even be a good 3rd down corner. Then there was the 2nd day of the draft, oh man was it horrible. No 4th round pick or 7th but we had a 5th and 3 6 rounders. Only 1 of those players made our roster. Now granted you can't expect much from the 2nd day, but a good coach will usually find 1 player that comes from no where to have a big impact, and another to make the team. We didn't even have one make it on the playing feild. I hope Rick and Dave brought in some new scouts this season. Since we don't have much to work with the preasure is on.

Have some faith in the front office. They don't just pick names out a hat.

As for Fletcher, yes he did get burned by Moulds and Harrison. He was, however, a rookie who missed all of training camp and was also going against two great WRs.

I Disagree...

I feel last years draft class was great. It seemed to me Minor was the best running back on the team last year, very time he touch the ball he made somthing positive happen. As for Fletcher, he really didn't get the playing time, but he did get the pratice and a taste of what the NFL is about, which will really help him out this year. Greenwood was a solid player last year, and he started to progress and come on as the season ended. And lastly Chambers, how can you call last years draft bad when we got this kid. He wasn't even a starter and was a candidate for rookie of the year. Just think what he will be like this year with a year of experince, plays developed to get him the ball, and his new starting role. We got four starters out of last years draft!(Flechter would be starting if it wasn't for our great corners)

Where do you see 4 starters? Greenwood played horrible all year except against Buffalo and a few nice plays against the Ravens, he wouldn't be starting if we had any other options at OLB. I think he may improve this year and next but will be average at best. With RW comming to Miami and Konrad getting more time because Norv loves to use the FB expect Minor to be the forgotten Dolphin this year. Fletcher missed some camp, but even by season end didn't even look like he could play in the dime package. Like you said Chambers was great, and probably will be better, but one player doesn't make a draft. Look around the NFL almost every team had an undrafted free agent see sucnificant playing time we didn't even have 1 of our 4 second day picks hit the feild. All I am saying on the first day of the draft it easy to find a guy that can make an impact, but the trully great teams find one the second day as well, and this is more important this year since we only have 1 pick the first day.

Bah I had this long write up ready to go and this stupid pop up from the Sun Sentinal crashed my IE. Anyways Dajesus I think you really need to go back and look at our drafts for the past 10 years on offense and be horrified. You would definately understand why we like last years draft. In fact I would go as far as to say that prior to this year we only made 2 really good picks on Offense in the prior 10 years and that was Todd Wade and O.J McDuffie.

Disagree Bigtime

Dajesus, bro, I think you're way off on this one. I usually like your posts, but did you really think about this one before you threw it out there? Besides Chambers, Minor really did show some incredible flashes and could turn into one of the best third down backs in the league. Greenwood played horrible? Granted, it took him a bit to get his motor running, however, he did miss most of training camp and the beginning of the season. Once he got used to things he turned out to be a pretty decent player. As far as Fletcher goes, the jury is still out. If he blows it this year, then we can start calling him a flop, but, like Greenwood, he also missed most of training camp and didn't really get the opportunity to hone his skills. This year should be a different story as he'll be playing the nickel corner position and should see some serious time.

As far as late rounders, Brandon Whiney could still turn out to be a decent O-lineman. He just wasn't developing fast enough so the 'Fins cut him. If memory serves me correctly he finished out the season on the Broncos 53 man roster.

I would chalk last years draft as one of the more successful in the league considering a full 4 out of the 6 players drafted are still on the team and are major contributors. Not to mention a 5th is on the roster of an NFL team; he just couldn't contribute fast enough.

:nono:

Man, if you think our draft was not-so -great, and our rookies were not very productive, go look at what other teams got from their rookies last year. Santana Moss was a top 20 pick, and he had 2 catches all year long! Chambers, in contrast, was a second round pick who should have went in the top 10 overall picks. He even won TSN's Rookie of the Year honors. This guy could end up being even better than Paul Warfield was!!! In addition, we landed Fletcher, who is probably going to blossom into a great nickel CB (Keep in mind that Madison and Surtain did next to nothing their rookie seasons), and Greenwood's a starter who is going to have a breakthrough season hopefully. And then we have Minor, who showed flashes last year. He will be getting the ball some this year (Keep in mind that Norv Turner had a AAA RB in Stephen Davis near the end of his tenure in Washington. Even though he had a AAA RB, he still used Skip Hicks quite a bit, for a backup RB, anyway. Skip Hicks is quite similar to Travis Minor. Travis will be getting the ball).

All in all, the 2001 draft looks pretty darn good so far. No other team drafted 4 players who contributed as much as ours did in their first season!

I think you'll change your mind about last year's draft if you look at what other teams got from their draft last year.

Three or four years from now I think we'll consider the 2001 draft one of the best ever!

Look around the NFL almost every team had an undrafted free agent see sucnificant playing time we didn't even have 1 of our 4 second day picks hit the feild.

Give some examples, please.

Fletcher could be good in a few years, but I think that was a wasted pick. Chambers is going to be a pro bowler many times in his career. Greenwood played really well at the end of last season, and will play well all of this season. Minor will be a very good third down back.

Way too soon to call Fletcher a wasted pick. I think he will be a good one.............this year.

In defense of Fletcher, the way I have always understood it(correct me if I am wrong),it takes a few years to mature in the CB position.Getting burned by Moulds or Harrison is hardly unheard of.

Originally posted by va dolfan
In defense of Fletcher, the way I have always understood it(correct me if I am wrong),it takes a few years to mature in the CB position.Getting burned by Moulds or Harrison is hardly unheard of.

I think a db selected in the 1st round...........SHOULD be a very good nickel back in his 2nd year. I think he will.

Look around the NFL almost every team had an undrafted free agent see sucnificant playing time we didn't even have 1 of our 4 second day picks hit the feild.

Troy Andrews, an undrafted free agent that will be a top back-up this year.
There has been very few drafts, that we have ended up with 4 bonafide starters, whether they were first OR second day selections.
Greenwood and Fletcher will turn out to be better than you think. From two players who missed most of training camp their rookie season, how could you expect much more than what we saw. What I saw was Greenwood get progressively better to the point that he was one of our best defenders the last couple of games.
As far as Fletcher goes, one question, was Patrick Surtain a bust after his rookie season? I don't remember him doing too much either.:confused:
Minor was our best RB on the roster last year. If you have a player that is capable of taking it the distance from anywhere on the field, you get him the ball somehow. Norv is surely smart enough to figure that out.
Bash'em for awhile with RW, and then cross'em up with Minor! 1.... 2.... lights out!
Chambers is already gearing up for the stars.
We didn't just end up with four starters we ended up with 4 guys that could become stars.
Bring up this topic a couple of years from now and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at how wrong you were.;)

Minor showed flashes of excitement last year, but it doesnt look good for him doing it again. RW is a every down back, so if he stays healthy and Edwards knee holds up enough to make the team the only thing Minor will add is a good special teams player.

I agree with our esteemed colleagues on last year's draft being a bust. Besides even if Minor fits into the offense, if Edwards has a good camp he could have some trade value.

Anybody who thinks last years draft was a bust obviously has no clue.:(
After next season, you can say whether this draft was good or great but I guaruntee you won't be able to say it was a bust.

Back
Top Bottom