Hiring of first time head coaches | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hiring of first time head coaches

There are 25 coaches that have won Super Bowls, so 4 out of 25 is 16 percent.

You are arguing a point without actual numbers but if the right coach is found who cares if he's been a HC before. I don't if he does the job.

Not arguing, just looking at numbers. So it looks like 17 out of 30, so 57%. More than half. So no reason to believe experience is necessary I would say.

100% of Superbowl winners have been rookie head coaches.

If you only want older guys who have been fired before you are going to run into problems one of these days

Not arguing, just looking at numbers. So it looks like 17 out of 30, so 57%. More than half. So no reason to believe experience is necessary I would say.

Lombardi, Landry, Cowher and Stram were all veteran coaches who had been with their teams for years before they won the Super Bowl. Now granted that in the case of three of them, they got their start before the Super Bowl was even a thing. The Steelers were very patient with Cowher and it paid off.

Several of the rookie coaches also took over powerhouse teams and had success right away. McCafferty took over for Don Shula, Seifert for Walsh, Tomlin for Cowher, Switzer for JJ. Of those guys, Tomlin is the only one who has proved to be a good NFL head coach once the window of having a superpower team closed up.

Of the retreads who won Super Bowls, three of them were coaches who had been considered failures in the NFL previously. Shanahan, Belichick, and Carroll were not guys who got the local fanbases excited when they were hired at their second destinations.

Those who had NEVER been the head coach at college or NFL level:

Vince Lombardi
Hank Stram
Don McCafferty
Tom Landry
Chuck Noll
John Madden
Tom Flores
Joe Gibbs
Mike Ditka
Bill Parcells
Mike Holmgren
Brian F. Billick
Bill Cowher
Mike Tomlin
Sean Payton
Mike McCarthy
John harbaugh

Had previously been HC at the college level:

Bill Walsh
George Seifert
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer

Had previously been HC at the NFL level (i.e. retreads):

Weeb Ewbank
Don Shula
Mike Shanahan
Dick Vermeil
Bill Belichick
Tony Dungy
Tom Coughlin
Pete Carroll
Hey J David, I seem to recall watching a program on NFLN awhile back on Vince Lombardi, and I'm sure the narrator said he was a HC at some small NE school early in his career.

100% of Superbowl winners have been rookie head coaches.

If you only want older guys who have been fired before you are going to run into problems one of these days

You're skewing numbers and bending definitions. "Rookie Head Coach." A coach who has never been a head coach in the NFL, in his first year in that position. When was the last time a first year/first time nfl head coach won a superbowl?

Let me be clear - I'm not against a qualified first time coach. I'm just tired of rookie nfl head coaches coming in here and not being able to lead this team to success due to their lack of experience in that role, such as Saban, Cameron, Sparano, Philbin, etc. I dont want to wait 3-5 years for a new head coach to learn how to be an nfl head coach before we start seeing progress.

Hey J David, I seem to recall watching a program on NFLN awhile back on Vince Lombardi, and I'm sure the narrator said he was a HC at some small NE school early in his career.

High school. He was a really good high school coach, but I don't know how relevant that is to NFL level success. Good catch, though.

You're skewing numbers and bending definitions. "Rookie Head Coach." A coach who has never been a head coach in the NFL, in his first year in that position. When was the last time a first year/first time nfl head coach won a superbowl?

Let me be clear - I'm not against a qualified first time coach. I'm just tired of rookie nfl head coaches coming in here and not being able to lead this team to success due to their lack of experience in that role, such as Saban, Cameron, Sparano, Philbin, etc. I dont want to wait 3-5 years for a new head coach to learn how to be an nfl head coach before we start seeing progress.

I am skewing nothing, ever head coach starts somewhere, even the best. If you are too scared to try one day you will be left with nothing and miss out on a superstar

Back
Top Bottom