Hiring of first time head coaches | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hiring of first time head coaches

Dr. Tomorrow

Scout Team
Reaction score
I've seen it a few times over the past few days about how some people don't want Miami to hire someone who's never been a head coach before. I don't understand because you do realize that every single head coach ever started as a coordinator of some kind. This approach just doesn't make sense to me.

the problem is not first time coaches, it is hiring the wrong guy. Someone around here has a list of all the current successful first time guys

The rational there is they don't want Miami at this point to take that chance.

I agree that all coaches should be interviewed and go with the best regardless of HC experience.

Everybody has a type they are comfortable with. And then there are those who think that we need to have a coach with a different approach as well. For example, since Philbin was a quiet person, many will want the next coach to be an aggressive loud mouth. This is silly since their demeanor isn't the reason they failed.

People have borderline PTSD due to "recent" Dolphins hires. Its been over a decade since we hired someone with head coaching experience and its been over 15 years since we hired someone with NFL head coaching experience. Time heals all wounds.

Not that i agree. I don't think we should judge these things based on our own past, but rather on what successful teams do. Not to mention hiring someone with head coaching experience means hiring someone who failed with their head coaching job, exceptions like Coughlin notwithstanding.

People have borderline PTSD due to previous Dolphins hires. Its been over a decade since we hired someone with head coaching experience and its been over 15 years since we hired someone with NFL head coaching experience. Time heals all wounds.

Not that i agree. I don't think we should judge these things based on our own past, but rather on what successful teams do. Not to mention hiring someone with head coaching experience means hiring someone who most likely failed with their head coaching job.

To be fair there is only a handful of coaches who haven't failed

How many coaches have won the Superbowl their first time being a head coach?

My problem with first time coaches is the learning curve. Quick, name the last first-time coach to win a Superbowl their first year! My point is that, if we hire a first time coach, they may be very good...eventually...but there will be learning and growing pains.

I for one am tired of waiting on a coach to learn to lead this team to victory. We've tried that approach for the last 15 years. This team needs someone with experience, a "been there, done that" approach, to show this team how to win. Over the past 2 decades, this team has a losing culture from lack of experienced leadership. We need someone who can show this team how to be a winner, because they've been one. We DON'T need a coach trying to figure out how to be a winner along with the team.

All that is just my opinion, of course.

There are 25 coaches that have won Super Bowls, so 4 out of 25 is 16 percent.

How many coaches have won the Superbowl their first time being a head coach?

Those who had NEVER been the head coach at college or NFL level:

Vince Lombardi
Hank Stram
Don McCafferty
Tom Landry
Chuck Noll
John Madden
Tom Flores
Joe Gibbs
Mike Ditka
Bill Parcells
Mike Holmgren
Brian F. Billick
Bill Cowher
Mike Tomlin
Sean Payton
Mike McCarthy
John harbaugh

Had previously been HC at the college level:

Bill Walsh
George Seifert
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer

Had previously been HC at the NFL level (i.e. retreads):

Weeb Ewbank
Don Shula
Mike Shanahan
Dick Vermeil
Bill Belichick
Tony Dungy
Tom Coughlin
Pete Carroll

Thanks, so four out of the fourty nine Super Bowl winners were first timers-about 8 percent.

4 rookie headcoach superbowl winners currently coaching in a league that turns over 10 coachs per year

Back
Top Bottom