Historical debate: would Miami have beaten CHI in the 1985 Super Bowl? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Historical debate: would Miami have beaten CHI in the 1985 Super Bowl?

I know a couple of people said McMahon didn’t play, but that is actually not true. Fuller started but when the Bears fell behind, the Beats brought McMahon in. He was 3 for 6 for 42 yards and an interception,

Always seemed strange to me that they didn’t start him because he was hurt and then brought him in even though Fuller wasn’t hurt.

Chicago was the better team but Marino was the the perfect answer for their defense.

Shula was a much better coach and would have adapted his game plan even though we won earlier. Ditka/Ryan would not of been able to adapt theirs as effectively as the Dolphins. This is true due to the nature of their defensive philosophy. Additionally their coaches never showed the ability to adapt throughout their careers. Shula did adapt.

Miami would have won in a close game!

I have been an avid fan for over 50 years. I am also not usually this positive but this was a unique match up.

A lot of good commentary here. I think Miami beats them again. As has been pointed out, we were a matchup nightmare for them and their offense played into our hands. What do I mean by that? Well, we weren’t going to be beaten by a run-oriented team who didn’t also have a pass game that could get chunk plays and score quickly. At least, not unless we turned it over a lot.

Payton having a lot of touches means the game would have stayed close even if the bears played better. Just like the ‘82 SB w Riggins only we would have had a lethal offense on the field that the Bears would not have been able to match up to. Their CBs were old and slow. The pass rush not getting home spelled death for them. No reason to believe anything would have changed in that regard. Also, the only reason SF going to 7 DBs worked is they had hybrid LB/DL Keena Turner who sometimes rushed and sometimes dropped into coverage. He was an athletic soecifimen. If the Bears took one of their great DL off of the field to put more DBs in I don’t think it works. As great as Singletary was, he wasn’t the same type of LB as Turner. To make that whole scheme that Walsh used you needed a great, pass rushing LB not a thumper.

Of course, turnovers and self-inflicted wounds could have changed the outcome of this game that never happened - but if we played pretty mistake free we win
Of course, you never know. I'm sure Chicago comes with more energy than they did on Monday night at the electric Orange Bowl.

But Buddy Ryan's defense was a little like the cover 0 Miami had success with. While the Dolphins dominated virtually every team with the cover 0, that wasn't the case against Buffalo. And it wasn't just one matchup against the Bills.

Matchups count and I think the Dolphins would have at least been a tough out.

Chicago didn't really have nothing to lose in that game
They lost the legacy of undefeated…they lost the legacy of the greatest season in NFL history……

There have been many NFL champions/Super Bowl champions…….

But what has a greater legacy?

What will always be remembered?

72’ “Perfect” Dolphins legacy? Or the near perfect 84’ Niners, 85’ Bears or 07’ Patriots?

Without Question…the Greatest legacy is the 72’ Dolphins….

This is what the Bears lost……

Chicago didn't really have nothing to lose in that game
Hmmm.......I guess you are discounting a shot at a perfect season?

I thought it "poetic" that our Phins were the one to take them down, and prevent that from happening.

The Bears had a cush schedule that year. The division games were all pretty much "pencil in wins"

I thought it "poetic" that our Phins were the one to take them down, and prevent that from happening.

The Bears had a cush schedule that year. The division games were all pretty much "pencil in wins"
Watched it and loved the game and your right.

I understand the thinking of many in this thread, but I’ve had this debate before. I have one question that nobody has been able to answer to my satisfaction.

Buddy Ryan was the architect of many great defenses. I lived in the Philly area during his HC stint with the Eagles, and they were scary during that time. But Buddy had one major failing: He lacked the ability to adjust that 46 defense. He did the same thing over, and over, and over again. Philly didn’t win a single playoff game under Buddy.

Buddy Ryan was an arrogant prick.

Marino tore up that 46 defense at will in their first meeting. My question is: What makes anyone think that DC Ryan would have made even the slightest effort to adjust for a second meeting?

That game turns into a shootout, in my opinion.

No….

We won IN MIAMI…W some luck…

It would not have been impossible…

We would have done better than the patriots…

People forget the NFC Won like 9,10, 11????super bowls in a row till Denver FINALLY beat Green Bay in 96?

The Bears were 15-1 for a reason - Singletary and their secondary were considered in the argument of a top D of all time…

I agree though it’s SAD that we will NEVER know…

Marino was SO good and the energy that Monday night with the Dolphins fighting for keeping the indefeated thing alive was HUGE…

It’s a great dream..

There is no Question that the Bears lost a lot on that Monday Night, in front of the largest NFL tv audience in history,….with the 72’ Dolphins on the sideline to motivate their fellow Dolphins to “shock” the world!

By far one of my greatest all time Dolphin memories and pure magic!

Back
Top Bottom