Historical debate: would Miami have beaten CHI in the 1985 Super Bowl? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Historical debate: would Miami have beaten CHI in the 1985 Super Bowl?

I tell you what though bro, even if we would've lost it wouldn't have been as bad as the Pats...the Pats bored and wasted every one's time....we would have made the game one of the greatest SBs of all-time...
This is the point. Who knows if we would have won the rematch but damnit we blew it so bad losing to the crappy Patriots we had already beaten twice that year to ruin what would have been the most hyped and compelling SB in history where Dan in a dome would have had a chance for that ring. Even if we lost I have to imagine it’s a much closer and interesting game than the lousy Pats managed. That rainy day AFC championship loss is easily my biggest disappointment short of losing the SB to the skins in ‘82, a game we coulda shoulda won.

This is the point. Who knows if we would have won the rematch but damnit we blew it so bad losing to the crappy Patriots we had already beaten twice that year to ruin what would have been the most hyped and compelling SB in history where Dan in a dome would have had a chance for that ring. Even if we lost I have to imagine it’s a much closer and interesting game than the lousy Pats managed. That rainy day AFC championship loss is easily my biggest disappointment short of losing the SB to the skins in ‘82, a game we coulda shoulda won.
All those fumbles…that game killed me!

In the Last game in the Orange Bowl….

I understand the thinking of many in this thread, but I’ve had this debate before. I have one question that nobody has been able to answer to my satisfaction.

Buddy Ryan was the architect of many great defenses. I lived in the Philly area during his HC stint with the Eagles, and they were scary during that time. But Buddy had one major failing: He lacked the ability to adjust that 46 defense. He did the same thing over, and over, and over again. Philly didn’t win a single playoff game under Buddy.

Buddy Ryan was an arrogant prick.

Marino tore up that 46 defense at will in their first meeting. My question is: What makes anyone think that DC Ryan would have made even the slightest effort to adjust for a second meeting?

That game turns into a shootout, in my opinion.
And the Bears were not a team that could do a shootout. Their pass game was very meh w no real aerial threat.

There is no Question that the Bears lost a lot on that Monday Night, in front of the largest NFL tv audience in history,….with the 72’ Dolphins on the sideline to motivate their fellow Dolphins to “shock” the world!

By far one of my greatest all time Dolphin memories and pure magic!
Marino was transcendental that night. Look at some of those lasers on 3rd and longs etc. Rolling out, fading away, eluding pressure - he was lethal

Miami had a legitimate shot at going to four straight super bowls in the early 80's. Beginning in 1982 with the loss to Washington in the SB, after leading most of the way.

The Dolphins went 12-4 in Marino's first year losing in the playoffs to Seattle in a game Miami should have won. Would they have beaten the Raiders in the AFC Championship?

Of course, the Dolphins got there in 1984 with that incredible season by Marino.

Then the year we are talking about, 1985.

I have little doubt that MIA would have beaten the Bears in a rematch. The OP mentioned the argument of the Dolphins being a bad matchup for CHI. Well, sports in general, and even more so in the game of football is largely dictated and determined by matchups.

Could the Bears have beaten MIA in a rematch? Of course. Anything can happen in ONE game. And the 1985 Bears were a good team with an all-time great defense, especially for that one season.

But I firmly believe MIA wins 7/10 against that team. Marino and the Dolphins offense just had most every answer to the style of defense the Bears played. No other team had the QB with the quickest release. And who was accurate, strong-armed, and bold enough to take advantage of their weaknesses and hyper-aggressiveness.

Last edited:
Can't really say we would have beaten them, but without doubt, would have given them a much better game then the Pats.

If you add to that, Dan in his 2nd SB, after losing the 1st one (Not wanting to experience a loss again), he would have been extra driven, and finally having a Chessmaster quality HC like Shula, would have put us at least in a possible upset quality team.

Would have been a fun game. The Bears probably still would have been heavy favorites.

I doubt anybody beats that Bears team twice in a season. Unlikely Miami would have won the rematch, but it would have been fun to watch.

Being that we lost to Steve Grogan and the Pats at home and they lost 46-10 I don’t think we win that SB honestly but I still might tell my friends that we would have 😂

Being that we lost to Steve Grogan and the Pats at home and they lost 46-10 I don’t think we win that SB honestly but I still might tell my friends that we would have 😂

Citing that logic means the Dolphins shouldn’t have won the 1st matchup. But they did. Decidedly.

CHI couldn’t handle their offense nor Nat Moore in the slot. That wasn’t gonna drastically change had they played again, unless the Bears drastically changed up the defensive tactics that made them so fierce in the 1st place.

Again, I don’t think a lot of fans understand the concept of matchups.

It’s why you often see really good teams sometimes struggle with a bad team while dominating others with better personnel on the whole.

It’s why you often see Team A beat Team B, Team B beat Team C, and Team C beat Team A situations as well.

A non-playoff team with a losing record might give a SB contender trouble because the few strengths they have just happen lineup with the few weaknesses of the superior team.

While that MIA team was 12-4 and in no way a subpar team, their strengths lined up perfectly against the Bears weaknesses.

But against NE, that just wasn’t the case.

$#/t like that happens ALL the time.

That’s why football is often a game of “matchups”.

85 Bears were a top 2 or 3 team in nfl history. I think on a neutral field they likely would’ve beaten us. Coincidently, the 84 49ers who beat us in the Super Bowl are also probably a top 3 team in nfl history. Seems like we were good at the worst possible time.

Of course the Phins would've defeated the Bears again. Everyone knew that. Why do you think the Dolphins were upset at home by a weak New England team?

The NFL had a ton invested in the Bears winning. They had music videos and the whole 9. They needed a team the Bears could steamroll and humiliate with Refrigerator Perry getting rushing TDs. It was all a show.

LOL and you guys think the NFL just started rigging it's games a few seasons ago.

Nice
Of course the Phins would've defeated the Bears again. Everyone knew that. Why do you think the Dolphins were upset at home by a weak New England team?

The NFL had a ton invested in the Bears winning. They had music videos and the whole 9. They needed a team the Bears could steamroll and humiliate with Refrigerator Perry getting rushing TDs. It was all a show.

LOL and you guys think the NFL just started rigging it's games a few seasons ago.
Your kidding

Back
Top Bottom