History on Dolphins 3-4 Defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

History on Dolphins 3-4 Defense

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
In fact, it was the 1972 Miami Dolphin team that was the first really successful NFL team to run a 3-4 defense. At that time, most teams were using the 5-2 or a “modern” innovation brought to the league by then Defensive Coordinator for the NY Giants, Tom Landry, the 4-3. This was in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s.

Coach Shula knew Defense
But Don Shula knew that this was to be the great successful defense that would win championships. And he ran this defense throughout his tenure as coach of the Dolphins with Bill Arnsparger as his Defensive Coordinator.

http://phinphanatic.com/2010/07/07/dolphin-3-4-defense/

You've often heard me mention how most of the innovation in football starts at the high school/collegiate level...

Bud Wilkinson created the 3-4 defense at Oklahoma in the 1940's.... but Bear Bryant was the first to employ the "modern" philosophy behind the 3-4 alignment, he was the first coach to designate that his defensive lineman NOT cross the line of scrimmage on running plays... to keep the linebackers clean...

Ironically, Mike Nolan coached linebackers at LSU in the mid 80's under Arnsparger.... this was the foundation for Nolan's background with the 3-4 defense.

i'm really interested in this kind of stuff - but not only was this article ancient it also quoted wikipedia and the bleacher report - why do you do this to me?

The Fins ran the 3-4 defense until Jimmy Johnson took over as head coach.
Both systems are good, it just depends on your personnel.
I did not know that Nolan had a Arnsparger connection. Interesting.

our best defensive team in my era (MarinoERA.)+ has been the 4-3

In fact, it was the 1972 Miami Dolphin team that was the first really successful NFL team to run a 3-4 defense.
This quote is playing with semantics because the Kansas City Chiefs of the AFL was very successful in running a 3-4 defense. Unfortunately like the Miami Dolphins they did not use the formation full time. Hank Stram used the 3-4 defense to counter Vince Lombardi's power running game after he lost to them in the Super Bowl. The beneficiary of Strams ingenuity was Hall of Fame DE/OLB Bobby Bell who often went from a 3-point stance to a 2-point stance to take advantage of his speed.

The Fins ran the 3-4 defense until Jimmy Johnson took over as head coach. Both systems are good, it just depends on your personnel.
I did not know that Nolan had a Arnsparger connection. Interesting.

The Dolphins did use the 4-3 defense before Jimmy Johnson arrived. I can remember the starting d-line in 1993 of Cross-Golic/Veasey-Klingbeil-Coleman, 1994 of Cross-Bowens-Klingbeil-Coleman and 1995 of Cross/Armstrong-Bowens-Klingbeil/Emtman-Coleman.

Back
Top Bottom