Hmm...this sounds familiar | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hmm...this sounds familiar

TheMadPorpoise

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I did a little reading on Drew Brees and what the draft experts had to say about him before he was drafted in 2001. Some of the things sound remarkably similar to the things said about Alex Smith:

"#15-DREW BREES Purdue University Boilermakers 5:11.7-221
ANALYSIS…
Positives…Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move...Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center... Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives…Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun... Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws... Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment."

I think that in a year or two, Alex Smith could be a Pro-Bowl quarterback for us, much like Brees is for San Diego.

The only difference is that Smith is only 20 years old, has a big frame and can bulk up and get stronger.

Smith has alot of upside but I hope were able to trade down.

Plus it wasn't until year 4 that Brees started showing anything, can ppl on this board give a rookie QB that long..will Zach or JT wait that long?

Drew happens to have what is probably the best running back in the NFL on his team.

Do you think his stats would have been the same without LT?

Nothing against him, I prefer him over that RB/QB guy Atlanta took in that draft...

Back
Top Bottom